WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
For switzerland:
Nussbaumer verboon kohler are big standouts also aebischer plays really good
For me sopa isn’t playing that good

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Like Seider, Zegras looks great, Romanov, too. Kaliyev has that one very important skill...putting the puck in the net. Lafreniere, obviously. I find Cozens noticeable, and think Khovanov has been OK, but that's probably because my team drafted him...Russian forwards look pretty good...fast and strong, but I can't really name one that wows me consistently. Stutzle and Peterka looked good. Veleno and Bokk look interesting in the same way that Cozens does. Not able to finish, but promising.

I think Hayton has looked reasonably good, as has Foote, but nothing special.

Byfield hasn't done much for me. Hate to name goaltenders on the strength of just one game, but hey, laying an egg in a pressure situation is not OK. Askarov and Daws...especially the former, as the expectations for him were off the charts...Hofer had a really good game against Germany, who are a damn good team.

I have been mystified with some of the coaching choices by Sandelin.

Didn't get to see any of the Group A games. Can't wait to see the Swedes, and a to a lesser extent, the Finns. I am expecting a lot from the Raymonds and Soderstroms, among many others.

I get it on Askarov, but I would remind people the guy pretty much single handily won the U-18s last year in a pressure cooker situation. Honestly was glad as an opponent that he wasn't in the net for the USA game, I think that is a reactionary mistake given his pedigree and what he has consistently delivered to this point in his career. I get it after they drubbed Canada, I still think he is Russia's best goalie and have zero issue with him being the highest ranked goalie since Price, he earned that long before this tournament. While the WJC can help the picture, I don't necessarily get that worked up over some of the guys that under-deliver in this tournament. My opinions on Byfield and Askarov haven't changed a ton despite some of the hand wringing on both right now.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wahlstrom has 5pts in 4 games and is playing very physical along with playing at both ends. He’s getting some stance sand looks. Because he’s a pro people want him to score multiple goals per game but he’s been fine.

Honestly feel like some of this is cumulative with Wahlstrom. I think he is an excellent player, I had him real high on my list in his draft year. He does produce, but it always feels like there is more there. He has also had some heartbreaking moments at both the U-18 and WJC where you felt that the natural finisher he is touted as would make that impact. I don't think it is necessarily fair but I get where it is coming from. I would also think on a bad luck basis the last guy I remember getting this treatment from USA hockey fans was Bellows another Isles player which kind of stinks and I know I would be sensitive to if I was an Isles fan.

I just think you look at Wahlstrom and I have seen it on several occasions to be sure, but you feel like he can really be a dominant factor. He hasn't been that dominant, but like Bellows a few years ago hopefully that comes in the medal rounds at some point. He is a big guy, skates well and like you said is really physical at times, but it feels like more often than not especially at the junior level that Wahlstrom is stopping Wahlstrom given his gifts and bomb of shot. Not totally fair, but some of it are the high expectations he carries and the extremely high levels he can reach and has reached in terms of people seeing more there and wishing for it.

Reactions: Statsy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I actually agree with your thoughts on Seider. I have been quite impressed with Stützle, however. As for Seider, people are saying he’s the best D in the tournament, but I definitely don’t think so. Though my viewings of Group A are limited, I can tell you that Romanov is far and away the best guy on this side of the draw.
I dont agree, Seider has been far more impressive coming from a neutral point of view. His puck handingling, ability to run a pp combined with his defensive physical play and positioning has been outstanding. Romanov has been great but he doesnt bring the same physical element.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Super impressed by Mortiz Seider. Love his poise out there, always seems to make the right decisions while playing lots of minutes. Runs the PP with ease, very physical and isn’t afraid to take a hit either. Smooth skater for somebody his size too and excellent first pass. If I had to criticize one aspect of his game though; it would be the none existing slap shot that he has... For a big guy he should be able to rip a slapper from the point, yet he always takes a wrist shot instead.

Disappointed by Byfield. I know people will right away will say it’s because of his age, and I partially agree. It’s definitely harder for a younger player who’s body is less developed to succeed out there against some older guys, except in Byfield’s case, he’s already a big boy with a large frame. I just don’t see much from him at all every shift he’s out there except for maybe 1. I’m sure he will still be an amazing player, lafreniere struggled dearly last tournament too (at the age of 17), but that doesn’t take away the fact that I’m disappointed and am always left wanting more from the future #2 overall.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont agree, Seider has been far more impressive coming from a neutral point of view. His puck handingling, ability to run a pp combined with his defensive physical play and positioning has been outstanding. Romanov has been great but he doesnt bring the same physical element.

Seider has basically not had a wrong step since the draft. He is having a pretty charmed year thus far.

I was high on him and Broberg entering the draft because of the physical gifts both guys have. As someone with the Griffins AHL package, he has been their best D-man and pretty comfortably. He is extremely physical there as well, at least a couple times a game he plants professionals on their back-side. Seider has a lot of bite in his game, he can be pretty vicious with his stick at times as well. He is kind of a throw back in that regard, a lot of Wings fans have started to talk about some of the similarities of him and Konstantinov. Seider is obviously a much larger man than Vladdy was, but there is a similar enthusiasm for the rougher element or mean streak if you will and pride in the defensive zone. We will see, most of our questions are on the offensive end, people are pretty pleased with where he is at already defensively. I expect him full time in Detroit next year and honestly would be pretty surprised if he isn't in a top 4 role playing pretty good minutes for a rookie next year.

He will likely get a 9 game run at some point after the deadline, it will be interesting to see how that goes.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Marcehnko looks impressive to me.

Seider reminds me of Pietrangelo. Solid all around dman.

Foote looks better than I thought.

Reactions: Merrrlin

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Negative - Samuel Hlavaj for Slovakia. Maybe he was over hyped. He showed some good moves, actually thanks him Slovakia won vs Kazakhstan. But i was thinking, he will show a "Denis Godla" level.

Positive - hard to say.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Negative - Samuel Hlavaj for Slovakia. Maybe he was over hyped. He showed some good moves, actually thanks him Slovakia won vs Kazakhstan. But i was thinking, he will show a "Denis Godla" level.

Positive - hard to say.

He’s a better prospect than Godla though, and what Godla did in that tournament is a hot streak he might never repeat in his career. It’s asking a lot of anyone to play like that for a given two week stretch.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I've been incredibly impressed with the Germans this year. Unfortunately they were placed in the 'Group of death' and aren't in the quarter finals. With that being said, Stutzle, Reichel, Peterka, Bokk and Schutz all look like legit prospects. Seider (along with Romanov) looks like the best defenseman in the tournament. I would say they're the 7th best team in the tournament (ahead of Kazakhstan, Slovakia and Switzerland).

Hoping for a better outcome for them come next year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Kaileyev and Pinto have impressed me. Same with big boy Spence.

Dissapointed in 4th overall Byram, was expecting a big tournament from him. Also dissapointed in Wahlstrom, but I've felt that way since we drafted him. Sandin also looks pretty meh so far.

Marcehnko looks impressive to me.

Seider reminds me of Pietrangelo. Solid all around dman.

Foote looks better than I thought.

Good point - Foote has impressed.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Nice to see Caulfield's name not being mentioned as much in this thread. All of us on this board have a responsibility to always keep in mind, that if a player has a bad game or two in this tourney, they are busts. :sarcasm: Especially if that said prospect does not belong on your team.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
My standouts (full line-up)

Forwards: Zegras, Lafrenière & Stutzle

Defense: Seider, Romanov

Goalie: No real standout. They all had good and bad games.

Disappointments:

Forwards: Wahlstrom, Caufield & Byfield

Defense: Sandin, Byram

Goalie: Knight

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Habs fan paying most attention to our prospects obviously, but for me Romanov has really stood out while Caufield has been disappointing. I'm not at all surprised by Romanov'd play, I expected him to dominate and he has done exactly that. On the other hand, I also expected Caufield to light it up and he simply hasn't shown up. Only one tournament of course, but it is slightly worrying to see him fall off like this. He has 7 mins to turn it on and shut up me.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Oliver Wahlstrom was incredibly selfish all tournament, never used his linemates. Reminded me of Eichel's final WJC where he tried to do everything himself

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Aatu Raty looks like a top-3 prospect for the 2021 draft. I love how he can keep the puck in tight spaces and use his size for advantage.

Hell I would say he has a good chance to be 1st overall.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nice to see Caulfield's name not being mentioned as much in this thread. All of us on this board have a responsibility to always keep in mind, that if a player has a bad game or two in this tourney, they are busts. :sarcasm: Especially if that said prospect does not belong on your team.

I’m just going to go out on a massive limb and assume you are a Habs fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad