WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony balogne

Aug 23, 2019
Vegas
Three standouts from each team; no goalies as team strength/defense has a great effect on each.

Sweden
F: Nils Höglander, Samuel Fagemo
D: Victor Söderström

Canada
F: Alexis Lafrenière, Barrett Hayton
D: Jacob Bernard-Docker

USA
F: Trevor Zegras, Shane Pinto
D: Zachary Jones

Russia
F: Vasily Podkolzin, Kirill Marchenko
D: Alexander Romanov

Finland
F: Kristian Tanus, Matias Macelli, Patrik Puistola

Switzerland
F: Valentin Nussbaumer
D: David Aebischer, Tim Berni

Germany
F: Tim Stützle, JJ Peterka
D: Moritz Seider

Czech Republic
F: Jan Jenik, Karel Plasek
D: Libor Zábranský

Slovakia
F: Robert Dzugan, Oliver Okuliar
D: David Mudrak

Kazakhstan
F: Maxim Murosov, Oleg Boiko, Ruslan Dyomin

habbyboolin

Sep 14, 2018
Montréal
Three standouts from each team; no goalies as team strength/defense has a great effect on each.

Sweden

Canada

USA

Russia

Finland

Switzerland

Germany

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Kazakhstan
Good list.

Reactions: southeastern

paragon

May 5, 2010
Well he is the only 2021 eligible prospect in this wjc. And draft - 2 players arent generally that good in this tournament anyway. Lafreniere had 1 point in 5 games, Barkov and McDavid both had 4 points in 7 games.

This isnt really a tournament for young players.
Barkov was one of the youngest players from his draft and Räty is almost a full year older than Barkov was on his draft -2 year. In the same vein Laine and Pulju were only 6 months older in their draft -1 year than Räty is now, and they were playing first line and dominating.

Team Canada and most NHL teams have this "pay your dues" mentality that makes them bury young talented players like McDavid, it's also easier to do that when their teams are so deep. If Connor had been playing for team Finland he would have been first line player no doubt, and I doubt Räty would get the same ice time and opportunity from Canada, that he's getting from team Finland. Team Finland is more of a meritocracy which allowed players like Laine and Pulju play on the first line even in their draft -1 year when they could have been buried by team Canada or potentially even snubbed from the team.

I'm really not trying to make up excuses. And I'm not saying he's bad. I just think that if he's finally the Finn to be taken first overall then the draft doesn't seem to be too strong. I think Barkov, Laine and Kakko and even Granlund all looked better imo. Well it's probably too early to say and maybe I'm being too unfair to Räty. The draft is far away and I might change my mind already after the U18 tournament.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Barkov was one of the youngest players from his draft and Räty is almost a full year older than Barkov was on his draft -2 year. In the same vein Laine and Pulju were only 6 months older in their draft -1 year than Räty is now, and they were playing first line and dominating.

Team Canada and most NHL teams have this "pay your dues" mentality that makes them bury young talented players like McDavid, it's also easier to do that when their teams are so deep. If Connor had been playing for team Finland he would have been first line player no doubt, and I doubt Räty would get the same ice time and opportunity from Canada, that he's getting from team Finland. Team Finland is more of a meritocracy which allowed players like Laine and Pulju play on the first line even in their draft -1 year when they could have been buried by team Canada or potentially even snubbed from the team.

I'm really not trying to make up excuses. And I'm not saying he's bad. I just think that if he's finally the Finn to be taken first overall then the draft doesn't seem to be too strong. I think Barkov, Laine and Kakko and even Granlund all looked better imo. Well it's probably too early to say and maybe I'm being too unfair to Räty. The draft is far away and I might change my mind already after the U18 tournament.
Finland took Lundell last year as the 2C and still won gold. And Kakko was also 17yo playing in top 6 role.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If that's the case, then 2021 seems like a weak draft. I haven't been that impressed, but I guess it's a bit early.

Puistola and Maccelli have impressed me the most out of the Finnish skaters.

I really haven't seen anything in his game suggesting Räty should be a "consensus" 1s overall for next years draft. Good player but there are probably better ones out there.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Knight was outstanding... he allowed one goal on a tremendous play and lost.
Dostal may have had a down tournamnet... ouch.

I think Laf has 6 points in 8 periods. Needs to step it up to a point per period!

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
That first line for sweden.
I can't name all the players. Fugamo and Hoglander and _________

But I am watching sweden's game, and these guys have the longest offensive zone shifts I have seen from a line in this tournament. They just put in that work consistently.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I think Knight was outstanding... he allowed one goal on a tremendous play and lost.
Dostal may have had a down tournamnet... ouch.

I think Laf has 6 points in 8 periods. Needs to step it up to a point per period!
On a shot Knight had no chance to stop either

Reactions: Czechboy

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia

Sweden

Canada

USA

Russia

Finland

Switzerland

Germany

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Kazakhstan
Mudrak has been absolute ass, he’s been the worst Slovak dman and is a giveaway machine and that’s saying something considering the quality of Slovak defenders

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I really haven't seen anything in his game suggesting Räty should be a "consensus" 1s overall for next years draft. Good player but there are probably better ones out there.
Yeah not much you can do with barely getting to play any minutes.. He is double minor in this tournament. He has some points and a couple goals, even many other superstar no 1 OA playing in the WJC at d-2 year didn't score many points with the same reason, but seeing your from Sweden based on your posting history i understood instantly why the salt was reals:).

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
"There are probably better ones out there" just shows how ignorant you are mate. You've seen some small sample of him with barely paying attention clearly and then most scouts and rankings must be wrong apparently.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I actually agree with your thoughts on Seider. I have been quite impressed with Stützle, however. As for Seider, people are saying he’s the best D in the tournament, but I definitely don’t think so. Though my viewings of Group A are limited, I can tell you that Romanov is far and away the best guy on this side of the draw.

Yeah Seider is definitely right there with Romanov on that side of the draw, likely better but Romanov is having a good tourney too. Far and away is a pretty ridiculous way to put it. Having 1 even strength goal against in that death group, with very little help and playing the most minutes in the entire tournament is pretty ridiculous.

As for guys who have stood out:

I think keeping with Germany Stutzle looks really dynamic, could go top 3 for sure by the end of this season. Peterka was good too. I didnt love anyone on the USA team. Russia I liked Marchenko and Romanov but I only caught 2 games of theirs. Canada I've liked Hayton on the PP, Veleno been leading the forwards in ice time by a decent clip and doing a little bit of everything, Lafreniere obviously is the best player in the tournament. Sweden I've thought Hoglander, Berggren and Fagemo have been noticeable in different ways, Raymond really solid for a draft eligible

Disappointments for me are all of Canadas defense basically, and Byfield, Caufield and Turcotte.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
US coach is the biggest disappointment. His stock has dropped a lot.

Four of his five highest pick skaters were playing smaller roles. No smart coach has his best players in small roles, and his grinders in big roles.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Couldn’t agree more and i’m finnish. There is a lot to like with this elite talent but he is already playing on big role when Lafreniere was buried on stacked team playing couple minutes here and there. Aatu Räty have been invisible against good countries which is fine for underager but Barkov for example was already controlling pace of the game against top notch countries while chipping in offensively and he was almost 1 year younger. Right now i just don’t see Räty being similar level of talent even when he is about 1 year older but he still has time to prove me wrong.

Aatu Räty has incredible IQ, he seems to be mature, strong and style is pretty NHL-like with quick processor on his head and he makes small subtle plays to create free space for players around him. Needs more explosiveness and defensive awareness. I certainly hope he is the talent like some of the posters likes to indicate but right now he doesen’t wow me.

Last edited:

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
So far he is head and shoulders above anyone else from his draft class. Time will tell but so far Räty is #1

Reactions: king89

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I doubt Räty would get the same ice time and opportunity from Canada, that he's getting from team Finland. Team Finland is more of a meritocracy which allowed players like Laine and Pulju play on the first line even in their draft -1 year when they could have been buried by team Canada or potentially even snubbed from the team.

There is a lot to like with this elite talent but he is already playing on big role when Lafreniere was buried on stacked team playing couple minutes here and there. Aatu Räty have been invisible against good countries which is fine for underager

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Aatu Räty has played the lowest minutes in Team Finland and in 4th line every game and still looked like very good player, that is exactly the point.

I guess it is testament of Räty's abilities that you think he has gotten good opportunities.

Aatu Räty have been invisible against good countries which is fine

This I just dont agree with. Despite not putting up the points against big teams, at least to me he has been very visible, again despite playing low minutes.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Mudrak has been absolute ass, he’s been the worst Slovak dman and is a giveaway machine and that’s saying something considering the quality of Slovak defenders

Problem is, you cant point to one Slovak D, that has a good Tournament. every one was bad. Also Stacha. Sure, from someone there were more errors, as from others, but generally, it was a very bad tournament from our Defence group.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah not much you can do with barely getting to play any minutes.. He is double minor in this tournament. He has some points and a couple goals, even many other superstar no 1 OA playing in the WJC at d-2 year didn't score many points with the same reason, but seeing your from Sweden based on your posting history i understood instantly why the salt was reals:).

Have I ever criticized a Finnish player before? I tend to stay away from that, some people are very sensitive (for reasons I will never quite understand).

All I'm saying is this: Räty is a fine player but this "consensus 1st overall" talk seems pretty over board when you watch him play (which I have done before this tournament btw). I simply don't buy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->