WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It's a lot easier for a young player to stand out on a team like Germany compared to the better teams. I'm sure Byfield would look great too with 19 min/game and top unit PP time. People are going to disagree with me but I haven't been super impressed with Seider, he's a worse skater than I expected and he's mainly noticeable because of the minutes he's logging rather than his actual play.

Don't think there's been any big positive/negative surprises among the Swedish players so far. Berggren and Höglander stand out with the puck but I have a strong feeling they will be kept to the outside too often against the better teams. Söderström has been the best Swedish player so far I'd say.
I actually agree with your thoughts on Seider. I have been quite impressed with Stützle, however. As for Seider, people are saying he’s the best D in the tournament, but I definitely don’t think so. Though my viewings of Group A are limited, I can tell you that Romanov is far and away the best guy on this side of the draw.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tanus and Oden have impressed me from the Finns. Sokolov from the Russians and Pinto from the US.

Disappointments? Guys getting hurt (Lafrienere, Kupari, Lundell pre-tournie, etc....).

And my son just read this over my shoulder and asked why I forgot Peterka and Reichart from the German team. Stutzle of course too.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently Khovanov is doing well. Points aren't there yet but a lot of scouts like what he is doing.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I hate stat watchers, Pod has been very good, He set up so many scoring chances, not his fault the team can't finish.
Type his name on twitter, look at the reaction, it's been mostly positive.
Do you not have better arguments than this? Its pathetic really.

Pod was criticised before the draft for his production.

He was ranked as high as third based on his "play" and ranked as low as 15th if I am not mistaken based on his production or lack there of.

If someone criticises Pod its either "youre a stat watcher" or "you are basing to much weight on a meaningless tourny" or any one of a myriad of excuses.

I get that you are a Canucks homer but dude its embarassing.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I haven't been super impressed with Seider, he's a worse skater than I expected and he's mainly noticeable because of the minutes he's logging rather than his actual play.
Did you think he was an elite skater or something? Because he's definitely a very good skater, especially for his size. That's the only way being disappointed would make sense.

Being impressed or unimpressed with his game, that's your call. But the way he skates is kinda an objective fact.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Standouts:

Vasili Podkolzin
Patrik Puistola
Justus Annunen
Tim Stutzle
Samuel Fagemo
Nolan Foote
Alexis Lafrenniere
Nils Hoglander
Domink Bokk
Alex Romanov
Daniila Zhuravlyov

Disappointments:

Jared McIsaac
Ty Smith
Bowen Byram
Spencer Knight
Ville Heinola
Dylan Cozens
Yaroslav Askarov

As of yesterday anyways. Still lots of hockey to be played and opportunities for these guys to turn things around.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
A lot of the big disappointments have been mentioned but I'll add that I've been very underwhelmed by Oliver Wahlstrom. At times he's looked almost Virtanen-esque in the way he's trying to do too much and not involving his teammates. Also have to agree with others on Byram. At the draft I thought there were talks of him being close to the NHL but haven't seen anything like that from him yet. And Jared McIsaac is just bad, I don't know what my expectations were but yeesh.

Zegras has obviously been a stud. Also really impressed by Zac Jones.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Do you not have better arguments than this? Its pathetic really.

Pod was criticised before the draft for his production.

He was ranked as high as third based on his "play" and ranked as low as 15th if I am not mistaken based on his production or lack there of.

If someone criticises Pod its either "youre a stat watcher" or "you are basing to much weight on a meaningless tourny" or any one of a myriad of excuses.

I get that you are a Canucks homer but dude its embarassing.

Just goes to show that you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

I have been very critical of him before, I’m not even going to get into a pointless argument with you.

Using Twitter to judge reactions is not bad when it comes to positivity, you could always use the pod thread on HF Boards if you like as well.

Here I’ll help you.

RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 2

@Lonny Bohonos

Cheers

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
For Ranger prospects:
Zac Jones is reminding me a lot in how he plays of Adam Fox. K'Andre Miller was not good against Canada, but much better against Russia & Germany. Haven't watched enough of Sweden/Switzerland's games to comment on Gross, Lundkvist, or Henriksson.

For non-Ranger prospects:
Zegras has been awesome
Box-score watching, Fagemo's been quite good.
Stutzle has looked quite good from what i've seen

Wahlstrom i was a big fan of pre-draft (albeit stat watching/prospect report reading). This is now the second consecutive WJC that I'm not seeing it with/from him, though what it is I really couldn't say.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Söderström has been the best Swedish player in all 3 games now.

Want to see more from Broberg and Lundkvist. They have been fine but fairly quiet offensively.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
People are going to disagree with me but I haven't been super impressed with Seider, he's a worse skater than I expected and he's mainly noticeable because of the minutes he's logging rather than his actual play.

He's actually a very good skater, but the issue seems like you do not understand what kind of dman Seider is. If you were expecting end-to-end ice rushes and flashes with lots of offense, then he's clearly not that guy. But if you were expecting a workhorse that has amazing positioning and defensive play along with a physical shutdown game and some offensive flair, then Seider has been exactly that.

Seider's value is in shutting down opponents, not in getting offense. Oddly enough, he's leading all d-men in points so far, so there goes that.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's actually a very good skater, but the issue seems like you do not understand what kind of dman Seider is. If you were expecting end-to-end ice rushes and flashes with lots of offense, then he's clearly not that guy. But if you were expecting a workhorse that has amazing positioning and defensive play along with a physical shutdown game and some offensive flair, then Seider has been exactly that.

Seider's value is in shutting down opponents, not in getting offense. Oddly enough, he's leading all d-men in points so far, so there goes that.

I don't care about "end to end rushes". I'm mainly talking about his footspeed. It's fine, not great. About leading the tournament in points, playing 27 minutes/game with top PP-minutes will put you in a good position to rack up some assists. He's not driving the offense and like I said, the minutes are making him look better than his actual play. A guy like Siegenthaler looked quite similar on the Swiss team a few years ago.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Standouts:

Vasili Podkolzin
Patrik Puistola
Justus Annunen
Tim Stutzle
Samuel Fagemo
Nolan Foote
Alexis Lafrenniere
Nils Hoglander
Domink Bokk
Alex Romanov
Daniila Zhuravlyov

Disappointments:

Jared McIsaac
Ty Smith
Bowen Byram
Spencer Knight
Ville Heinola
Dylan Cozens
Yaroslav Askarov

As of yesterday anyways. Still lots of hockey to be played and opportunities for these guys to turn things around.
Askarov disappointing based on 1 game ?

Reactions: 57special

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The dissappointing twitter fans bashing knee injured kid due to skipping games in a completely meaningless kid's tournament.

This tourney makes less headlines than women's hockey anywhere outside Canada and the games mean literally less than the allstar game in the NHL.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Zegras Has been nothing but a human highlight reel so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad