OT: Totally Legal Music Sharing Thread sponsored by Napster

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I just watched The Suicide Squad & noticed on the Soundtrack an oldie but a goodie, (covered by Frank Sinatra, David Lee Roth among others)...Louis Prima's vs. of:

10. "Just A Gigolo / I Ain’t Got Nobody (And Nobody Cares For Me)" [Medley]" Louis Prima 4:43

The Suicide Squad (soundtrack) - Wikipedia

very cool ancient tune.

Origin
"Just a Gigolo" is best known in a form recorded by Louis Prima in 1956, where it was paired in a medley with another old standard, "I Ain't Got Nobody" (words by Roger A. Graham and music by Spencer Williams, 1915). 1915 !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ain't_Got_Nobody

fun fact:
The 2008 film Be Kind Rewind uses the version recorded by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, although two covers were recorded for the film as well: a piano solo version by Jean-Michel Bernard, and a Fats Waller-esque version by Mos Def.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I just watched The Suicide Squad & noticed on the Soundtrack an oldie but a goodie, (covered by Frank Sinatra, David Lee Roth among others)...Louis Prima's vs. of:

10. "Just A Gigolo / I Ain’t Got Nobody (And Nobody Cares For Me)" [Medley]" Louis Prima 4:43

The Suicide Squad (soundtrack) - Wikipedia

very cool ancient tune.

Origin
"Just a Gigolo" is best known in a form recorded by Louis Prima in 1956, where it was paired in a medley with another old standard, "I Ain't Got Nobody" (words by Roger A. Graham and music by Spencer Williams, 1915). 1915 !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ain't_Got_Nobody

fun fact:
The 2008 film Be Kind Rewind uses the version recorded by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, although two covers were recorded for the film as well: a piano solo version by Jean-Michel Bernard, and a Fats Waller-esque version by Mos Def.
That's a great one too but I wanted to go with the one with antipasta in the lyrics as a nod to my Italian roots. lol

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
whatever happened to these guys, they were awesome.

Man I miss those guys. Zack could sometimes get on my nerves in an Ian MacKaye kinda way, but they were great live.

Most don't know about these guys, but ZDLR's pre-RATM band was some outstanding late 80's/early 90's hardcore.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Here's one for you:

"I'll make the papers, the news with
Anastos,
They'll even print my recipe for pasta
with pesto"

-Beastie Boys

c816f6bf7ea8b526652487e3479943cc.jpg

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've never heard of this Inuit band (or any other Inuit bands), but it was the next song on after my chosen one. They weren't bad, much to my surprise (a rarity). Parallels to a certain Brit.rock group.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
What with all the music talk in the last GDT it brought to mind a personally influential album, Mike Watt's eclectic 1995 release "Ball Hog or Tugboat".

Mike Watt’s "Ball-Hog or Tugboat" Turns 25: Kathleen Hanna, J Mascis Reflect on Its Importance

"Ball-Hog or Tugboat? is a kaleidoscopic autobiographical narrative and a profound meditation on the role of the bassist in popular music. The album is packed with covers. It swings wildly from punk to jazz and from pop to spoken word with the gleeful confidence of the best college radio DJ.
Ball-Hog or Tugboat features nearly 50 guest stars, collaborators from all parts of his career, including, but not limited to, members of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Black Flag, Bikini Kill, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soul Asylum, Dinosaur Jr., Jane’s Addiction, Germs, Pixies, Screamers, The Lemonheads, The Meat Puppets, Saccharine Trust, The Circle Jerks, Screaming Trees, that dog, The Geraldine Fibbers, Bazooka, Liquid Jesus, and Parliament-Funkadelic.
"

Here's Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder singing the college rock hit "Against the 70's":

Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers takes center stage on trumpet with the jazzy "Sidemouse Advice":

You gotta have some big cahones to tackle a cover of Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" where Eddie Hazel was told to play as if he had been told his mother was dead. J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. knocks it out of the park in one take with his twelve minute guitar solo.

Watt has a vocabulary all his own so the disc came with a glossary so the listener can follow along and translate lyrics on the go. The whole album is excellent. Give it a listen if you haven't come across it yet.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's not really the kind of music I listen to but I ran across this band and found this song lives somewhere between funky and hypnotic.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I recommend the daily game Heardle for those who dabble in music on the more popular end from varying decades.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
It's not really the kind of music I listen to but I ran across this band and found this song lives somewhere between funky and hypnotic.

It's the bass player. ;)

Khruangbin is honestly "a bit goes a long way" for me. Like now listening to Derek Trucks on anything. Killer player, but that distinctive guitar tone just makes everything the Derek Trucks Band or Tedeschi Trucks Band do sound exactly.the.same after awhile.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's the bass player. ;)

Khruangbin is honestly "a bit goes a long way" for me. Like now listening to Derek Trucks on anything. Killer player, but that distinctive guitar tone just makes everything the Derek Trucks Band or Tedeschi Trucks Band do sound exactly.the.same after awhile.
Haha. I heard the song before seeing the video but yeah you're not wrong there.

And agree . I really like that song but don't really listen to a whole album of Khruangbin. Unless it's more background music but I generally can't listen to music that way. It's kind of how I feel about Kurt Vile.

Good point about Derek Trucks. I'd rather watch a youtube video of just his solos than listen to a whole album.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad