WC: 2024 World Championship general discussion

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Is the IIHF website down for everyone, or have all the things I've been saying about Luc Tardif just coming back to haunt me?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Goaltender
Lasse Lehtinen

Defense
Jesper Mattila
Vili Saarijärvi
Veli-Matti Vittasmäki

Forwards
Konsta Helenius
Arttu Hyry
Juha Jääskä
Oliver Kapanen
Patrik Puistola

These are Finland's world champs debutants to be.

Some have been close before, but Helenius at 17 is a standout. Likely to play on one of the top lines.
+Rasmus Rissanen

hokejFan

Apr 15, 2018
Could you please tell what is the rink size = O2 Arena (Prague) and Ostravar Aréna

kutka

Dec 31, 2022
1. Sweden
2. US
3. Canada
4. Switzerland
5. Finland
6. Czechia
7. Germany
8. Slovakia
As much as i dislike namejs, i have to agree with him on this as a slovak.
The 6/7/8 positions are arguable but there is no diffirence maker to put us sovereignly in 4/5/6 ranking.
We dont have enough D and G depth.
Overall we are a bit behind the swiss, gernmans,... and a bit ahead of latvia, belarus,...
But, fortunately we have a lot of promising prospects to expand not just our depth but also our high end talent.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
As much as i dislike namejs, i have to agree with him on this as a slovak.
The 6/7/8 positions are arguable but there is no diffirence maker to put us sovereignly in 4/5/6 ranking.
We dont have enough D and G depth.
Overall we are a bit behind the swiss, gernmans,... and a bit ahead of latvia, belarus,...
But, fortunately we have a lot of promising prospects to expand not just our depth but also our high end talent.
Yep, a surprisingly spot on analysis by Namejs. Though he forgot to add Magic beans into the equation when evaluating our chances against Germany

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
🎶
A time of religion and war legends tell the tale of a lion
This beast in the shape of a man with a dream to rule sea and land

And all those who stand in his way die by God and victorious arms
With the righteous that follows him south once more set ashore to war

Legends have taught battles fought this lion has no fear at heart
Lion come forth come from the north, come from the north
Stories of old truth unfold control over Europe he holds
Freedom he'll bring lion and king, lion and king!
🎶
Tomorrow it begins, the last dance of lion and king Jukka Jalonen
- Olympic gold 2022
- World championship 2011, 2019 & 2022
- U20 World championship 2016
- Olympic bronze 2010
- World championship silver 2021
1715207364042.jpeg

Thank you for your service

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
🎶
A time of religion and war legends tell the tale of a lion
This beast in the shape of a man with a dream to rule sea and land

And all those who stand in his way die by God and victorious arms
With the righteous that follows him south once more set ashore to war

Legends have taught battles fought this lion has no fear at heart
Lion come forth come from the north, come from the north
Stories of old truth unfold control over Europe he holds
Freedom he'll bring lion and king, lion and king!
🎶
Tomorrow it begins, the last dance of lion and king Jukka Jalonen
- Olympic gold 2022
- World championship 2011, 2019 & 2022
- U20 World championship 2016
- Olympic bronze 2010
- World championship silver 2021
View attachment 867335
Thank you for your service
A true legend of international hockey. Possibly the best there ever was. The man that solidified the change of the big four to the big five.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yep, a surprisingly spot on analysis by Namejs. Though he forgot to add Magic beans into the equation when evaluating our chances against Germany
Most of my analyses are spot on. It's just that no one likes being pointed out their team or their prospects are overrated.

So you need to cope and engage in magical thinking. It's not my thing, but I'm not judging - if it makes you feel better.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Most of my analyses are spot on. It's just that no one likes being pointed out their team or their prospects are overrated.

So you need to cope and engage in magical thinking. It's not my thing, but I'm not judging - if it makes you feel better.
saying that fans of a certain team overrate their team or players is one thing, saying that prospects from a certain country are overrated by the whole scouting community is another. You seem hell bent on pushing your narrative that for some reason NHL scouts have a love affair with Slovak prospects, which is bullshit.

For the record, I don't have an issue with your power ranking for this tournament.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

RKBoy

Feb 23, 2024
saying that fans of a certain team overrate their team or players is one thing, saying that prospects from a certain country are overrated by the whole scouting community is another. You seem hell bent on pushing your narrative that for some reason NHL scouts have a love affair with Slovak prospects, which is bullshit.

For the record, I don't have an issue with your power ranking for this tournament.
at this point i dont know if hes just doing it on purpose or hes that arrogant and delusional, but i think its just for best to everyone not react to him when it comes to this topic... i am here for a short time but i noticed he is going bend the truth or avoinding certain facts just to push his narrative and have his truth.. just let him in his bubble, arguing with individuals like him is pointless.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
People are sleeping on Germany. They made finals last year.

He also said Slaf had a bad season in another thread.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

Once again, I'm a man of science and evidence-based reasoning. I trust numbers and data.

Once you succumb to your biases and start disrespecting me by bombarding me with all of these completely fabricated misrepresentations of my views, you show me that you are no longer interested in having a civil discussion and are unable to take part in fact-based reasoning if it does not match your current worldview. You seem threatened, closed-minded and instead of listening and interpreting new information or coming up with an evidence-based counter-argument, you go on these personal attacks against me.

Quite frankly, it's a waste of my time. Either keep quiet, or refute my claims -- which apparently should be very easy to do.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He also said Slaf had a bad season in another thread.
Oh, but he did have a bad start to the season. Which is, you know, when I said that. Slafkovsky increased his rate of production by 100% in the tail end of the season, scoring at a 0.8 ppg rate to end the season.

He was producing like a 3rd/4th liner with top 6 minutes early on.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, I've never witnessed it in my time and I've been watching this tournament since 1977. They have had a few teams that were well regarded but favourites? no.

Was it 2018 when Patrick Kane was running laps around everyone else? I seem to remember being anxious before the semifinals, and that those would have been the “real finals” of the tournament…

Looking back, heh, I misremember the power balance. Kane was awesome but Team USA lost to Sweden 6-0. Keith Kinkaid allowed 5 goals on 19 shots. Anders Nilsson with 41 saves.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Once again, I'm a man of science and evidence-based reasoning. I trust numbers and data.

Once you succumb to your biases and start disrespecting me by bombarding me with all of these completely fabricated misrepresentations of my views, you show me that you are no longer interested in having a civil discussion and are unable to take part in fact-based reasoning if it does not match your current worldview. You seem threatened, closed-minded and instead of listening and interpreting new information or coming up with an evidence-based counter-argument, you go on these personal attacks against me.

Quite frankly, it's a waste of my time. Either keep quiet, or refute my claims -- which apparently should be very easy to do.

personal attacks? I didn't say anything about your person

fabricated misrepresentations? So you deny saying Slovak prospects are overrated by NHL scouts?

refute your claims? We had this discussion several months ago. I do not wish to re-do it. In any case, the burden of proof is on you, not me. Unless you can point me to a study that proves that your opinion is in fact "evidence-based", I shall remain unconvinced and will call you out on your bullshit whenever you post some sort of combination of the words "overrated prospects"

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
That 7/8 is arguable. I took into account the head-to-head match-ups and the round robin groups to some extent. The last time Slovakia beat Germany in the Worlds was back in 2013. If you lose the opening game, you're likely finishing 4th in the group with a double digit % chance of not making the play-offs at all.

So it's 50/50 between 7 and 8. I think the game vs. Germany is a coin toss.

Slovakia has more NHLers, but 4 of them have been fill-ins and have played barely any games at all. You guys are really hyped up about the number of NHL players, number of NHL draftees, but as of this point and time you really don't have that many difference makers over there, it's just role players mostly.

You have Slafkovsky, Germany has Peterka, you have Pospisil, they have Sturm. This was a rough season for Tatar and Kahun is roughly comparable. You have slightly deeper D, but then again the Germans are deeper at C. And they definitely have better goaltending.

And if Slovakia finishes 3rd or 4th, they are most likely losing that QF game. Hence 8th.

I am truly right hand to god not hating on you guys. It's just really weird how big of a gap there is between Slovak domestic expectations and the actual power rankings here.

I just looked up the outrights odds and the bookies actually agree with me to the point.

WINNER​

USA

USA

Sweden

Sweden

Canada

Canada

Finland

Finland

Czech Republic

Czech Republic

Switzerland

Switzerland

Slovakia

Slovakia

Germany

Germany
Quite accurate, Namejs. Some of us have high expectations since we play "home". :D

Tomorrow's game will say a lot!

Also, I wish Latvia good luck. Hopefully, both nations will be able to leave Germany behind.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Here are the first installment of the power rankings. I think this is the most 'stacked' the tourney ahs been since 2019. Obviously the Big 3 are on a different level, Finns are sending a similar team to the ones that have one many golds.. but, Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia all stronger to my eye this year as well. I think Latvia is also looking good.

Good luck to all the countries. Let's go Rangers (Necas), Let's go Oilers (Hronek) and let's go Florida (Pasta).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad