Tortorella rips Duclair

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What is the problem with what Torts said? You get the feeling Torts has been telling him the same message over and over in private, now he's firing his one remaining shot - the public call out. Read the whole thing and he is clearly trying sending Duclair a message. "You have talent, you are wasting it. This is your last chance. Shape up or you are done.".

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
It sounded, and looks to me, like Duclair is not a team player.

And after 4 teams if he's still in the same spot with his team, then it's 100% warranted. Duclair was a well thought of prospect who wears out his welcome too fast.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
OP and tweet are being melodramatic here.

watch the interview. Torts didn't just "blurt it out" there was a clear inquisition and a multi part elaboration. Someone is cherry picking comments to fulfill a narrative.

3 teams later and this interview is spot on.

yeah this is very out of context.. it's very clear in that interview he's developing a concept about team play rather than individual play

Reactions: Viqsi

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Coach criticizes one of their players. Part of both their jobs. Whole world is so thin skinned.

As much as Torts is tough on his guys I get the feeling that he'd have their back if it came down to it.

Came down to what? When they're in a back-alley knife fight? When they get sent to fight on the Western Front? He's coaching a pro hockey team. The least you can do to have your players's backs is to defend them in the media.

Honestly, has that kind of approach ever worked in the pros? Maybe some players respond well to public humiliation, but I can't imagine it's the majority.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
OP and tweet are being melodramatic here.

watch the interview. Torts didn't just "blurt it out" there was a clear inquisition and a multi part elaboration. Someone is cherry picking comments to fulfill a narrative.

3 teams later and this interview is spot on.

I mostly just get tired of the annoyance and condescension in interviews with Tortorella.

You're a head coach of a professional hockey team. Hockey is entertainment. Part of your job is speaking to the media. Stop asking like having to answer questions is such an inconvenience to you.

As for the Duclair comments, Torts gives one word answers to almost everything they ask, then after careful consideration he goes on to trash Duclair. That's honestly worse than blurting it out. The comment about 4 teams and 4 coaches seems particularly personal.

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
For all we know Torts says to his face all the time and was fed up enough to say it in the media. This is an old school motivation tactic that is nearly gone from todays game but obviously Torts is still going to use it.

If he doesn't adapt he'll be out of the league soon enough. Enjoy him while we still have him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If I was Duclair I would tell reporters that I don't really give a **** what a guy from the ACHL thinks.

Duclair says, "Frankly speaking, and with all due respect I don't think John Tortorella is that good of a head coach."

"I sometimes wonder if I'm truly the problem. Lately been starting to think its the coach's lack of ability".
"He's a horendous game planner and motivator" "He has a lot of ability but just doesn't know how to express himself positively enough where the players are able to grasp the concepts.""I don't know what else to say."
"He's been fired by how many teams already?"
"Times running out"

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Came down to what? When they're in a back-alley knife fight? When they get sent to fight on the Western Front? He's coaching a pro hockey team. The least you can do to have your players's backs is to defend them in the media.

Honestly, has that kind of approach ever worked in the pros? Maybe some players respond well to public humiliation, but I can't imagine it's the majority.

If you listen to the actual interview instead of just reading the twitter hot takes, it sounds like he's tried pretty much everything else. I mean he talks at length about the skill level before going to this - and basically says they go over it repeatedly then Duclair hits the ice and goes off script doing whatever he wants. If thats the case, its not hard to understand why he wears out his welcome so fast everywhere he goes despite the obvious talent.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

That if he thought they were being unfairly criticized or took a dirty hit or someone else in the organization wanted to trade them for no good reason he'd step up to bat for them if they're playing for him. The guy has coached a lot of winning teams, won a cup, Jack Adams finalist etc. He may be of the more short shelf life variety but his track record speaks for itself, he's a good coach. His job doesn't include insulating Duclair's feelings, if he thinks he can get more out of him by saying something then he will.

Public humiliation? He gave his thoughts on the player and how they're playing. Part of the job.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
If you listen to the actual interview instead of just reading the twitter hot takes, it sounds like he's tried pretty much everything else. I mean he talks at length about the skill level before going to this - and basically says they go over it repeatedly then Duclair hits the ice and goes off script doing whatever he wants. If thats the case, its not hard to understand why he wears out his welcome so fast everywhere he goes despite the obvious talent.

I'm not defending Duclair. If he's not good enough, scratch him, send him down, ask your GM to trade him.

What irks me about this interview is that it's all about publicly absolving himself of responsibility. "Look everyone, I know he's bad. It's not my fault, I tried to teach him, I'm a good coach. He just doesn't understand what I'm telling him." He's throwing him under the bus in a way that doesn't benefit Duclair or the team; only himself. It's unprofessional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I love Torts, but I wonder how he'd react if a player called him out publicly for doing. abad job of coaching during a losing streak?

Reactions: Newsworthy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'll take him back on the Rangers.

That's not the way you develop a player Torts.

- Coming from a huge torts fan

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
Torts should read “On the Decay on the Art of Lying” by Mark Twain, at least for when he’s in front of the media.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
That if he thought they were being unfairly criticized or took a dirty hit or someone else in the organization wanted to trade them for no good reason he'd step up to bat for them if they're playing for him.

Well sure, but that's a pretty low expectation. I would hope any professional coach would do that.

The guy has coached a lot of winning teams, won a cup, Jack Adams finalist etc. He may be of the more short shelf life variety but his track record speaks for itself, he's a good coach. His job doesn't include insulating Duclair's feelings, if he thinks he can get more out of him by saying something then he will.

Public humiliation? He gave his thoughts on the player and how they're playing. Part of the job.

Giving your honest thoughts about your players to the media has NEVER been part of the job. In large part because managing all these pro player egos IS a part of the job. Else, this league would be drowning in perpetual drama.

I guess we'll see if Duclair has a sudden upswing in performance. But I doubt it. And I don't think Torts believes it either.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
People complain about coaches and players giving the same answers, then complain when Torts gives honest and to the point explanations that I wish all coaches and players were.

Just like with everything now-a-days, people take things out of context and rush to judgement. Watch the video, it wasn't that bad at all. He's a coach who wants to win, he's not supposed to be buddy buddy with players.

There isn't a huge list of coaches with a Cup. He has one more than quite a few other coaches. That's an amazing accomplishment, despite it being quite a few years ago now. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The way some of you react also shows you wouldn't have done well in the military or even with a hard nosed dad. Not everything has to be rainbows and unicorns and I'm glad there are people like Torts out there. I'm sure he doesn't give a damn that people think he's "too mean."

Love Torts and I root for the Jackets when they don't play the Isles/Bolts because of him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That if he thought they were being unfairly criticized or took a dirty hit or someone else in the organization wanted to trade them for no good reason he'd step up to bat for them if they're playing for him. The guy has coached a lot of winning teams, won a cup, Jack Adams finalist etc. He may be of the more short shelf life variety but his track record speaks for itself, he's a good coach. His job doesn't include insulating Duclair's feelings, if he thinks he can get more out of him by saying something then he will.

Loose lips sink ships.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
My personal experience with buttons tells me that people that push them just to see what happens are typically children or morons.

I'm not defending Duclair. If he's not good enough, scratch him, send him down, ask your GM to trade him.

What irks me about this interview is that it's all about publicly absolving himself of responsibility. "Look everyone, I know he's bad. It's not my fault, I tried to teach him, I'm a good coach. He just doesn't understand what I'm telling him." He's throwing him under the bus in a way that doesn't benefit Duclair or the team; only himself. It's unprofessional.

Exactly. It hard to defend Duclair for his play.
But when is it ever Torts fault?
I get Duclair has struggled to grasp the style NHL coaches are teaching but by publicly dissing him all that does is hurt Duclairs chance to make a living somewhere else.
The funny thing is I get the feeling Torts really has the players backs but it still the wrong way to get the message across.

Reactions: Cellee

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
A couple of things seem true here.

Torts is an asshole and shouldn't talk to the media about his players like this.

Duclair doesn't understand how to play the game at this level. He has physical attributes that many others lack, but is still thinking the same junior hockey toe-drag BS that gets him run out of every team he's been on in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad