Tortorella rips Duclair

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Kiddies. Read the comments not the headlines. This is why this world has so many reactive jabroni's versus intelligent discussions:

View attachment 189155

Torts rips into Duclair, but this is far from being horrible.
There's a video clip of the interview in the thread. that's not the entire thing he said regarding Duclair

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Tortorella thinks he is a bad ass because he won a cup, I am guessing if he never won a cup he would not do the antics that he does

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
Everyone said this about Duclair behind the scenes in AZ...How is anyone still defending him? He's a professional athlete getting paid a lot of money to play a game. I know in this day and age everyone is soft and easily offended but I don't find this truth particularly harsh.

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Everyone said this about Duclair behind the scenes in AZ...How is anyone still defending him? He's a professional athlete getting paid a lot of money to play a game. I know in this day and age everyone is soft and easily offended but I don't find this truth particularly harsh.

The twitter/OP quote seems quite harsh, but the YouTube video provides essential context. I didn't learn anything new about Torts here, but I will be more careful about Arpon Basu now.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Al McNeil won a Cup.

Randy Carlisle won a Cup.

Claude Ruel won a Cup.

Jean Perron won a Cup.

Dan Bylsma won a Cup.

All great coaches, n'est-ce pas ?

I never said it made him a GREAT coach, but there's more coaches than those you listed who would have loved to add their name to that list. A Cup win is a resume booster no matter how you want to twist it.

Plus it's not like he won a Cup and was awful every other season. He's a good coach.

Also I don't speak French, so have no idea what you said at the end, la tua mossa capo.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I never said it made him a GREAT coach, but there's more coaches than those you listed who would have loved to add their name to that list. A Cup win is a resume booster no matter how you want to twist it.

Plus it's not like he won a Cup and was awful every other season. He's a good coach.

Also I don't speak French, so have no idea what you said at the end, la tua mossa capo.
My move ?

First free lesson: "Aren't they ?"

PS: From St. Petersburg ? We spent time on numerous occasions on Isla del Sol between St. Pete and St. Pete Beach. We love downtown St. Petersburg.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
My move ?

First free lesson: "Aren't they ?"

PS: From St. Petersburg ? We spent time on numerous occasions on Isla del Sol between St. Pete and St. Pete Beach. We love downtown St. Petersburg.

Lol, yes your move, and thank you for the lesson. I should have learned more to speak with the numerous Francophones who visit.

I love it down there. Moved to the area from NYC and haven't thought twice about it. It's great.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Where's the PA?

This kind of "criticism" should not happen in public to anyone.
They're adults. It happens so much More in soccer which keeps players accountable.

This is nothing. You're just not used to seeing it in hockey.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How is Duclair supposed to defend himself when Torts calls him out like that?

It's certainly not positive re-enforcement. If anything it demotivates a player and causes tension and unrest in the lockeroom. A pro coach shouldn't publicly shame his team. There are other ways for Torts to teach and provide him with knowledge. If the player fails to listen or react than bench him. That's the type of discipline I would expect.
What does calling a player out in public accomplish?

If duclair wants to defend himself, then he should play better. And if he's distraught and going to get worse, he shouldn't be in the NHL. I'm sure there's more people in the world who would try harder when spoken about like this. While making 1 million annually.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Duclair looks like such a clown wearing #91 reminds me of Clarksons 71 lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Torts is certainly unfiltered at times, although maybe there's a reason Duclair keeps not sticking with teams.
This 100%. I wish more coaches would be like Torts. I don't doubt that Duclair has major attitude issues.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I've never really been impressed with Duclair but there's other ways of dealing with it than throwing a fit in the media like Tortorella does on a regular basis.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I've never really been impressed with Duclair but there's other ways of dealing with it than throwing a fit in the media like Tortorella does on a regular basis.

yeah but what's the fun in that

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Torts is just an old-school coach in an era where such coaches aren’t respected the way they used to be. Bill Parcells in the NFL and Bobby Knight in college basketball had the same problem: fantastic coaches but times changed and players stopped respecting and listening to their coaches the way they used to; the trend shifted towards coaches who were friends with their players rather than leaders of them.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
And frankly if the younger generation had grown up with more adults who were willing to be hard on them when necessary rather than coddling them, giving them participation trophies, and preventing them from ever having to experience frustration, disappointment, and loss, we wouldn’t have such a large percentage of the country going apeshit and throwing temper tantrums when they don’t get their way. If you think mild criticism is something that nobody should ever have to experience then you have a lot of growing up to do.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Duclair hasn't improved his attitude toward the game since he was in junior. It has to be endlessly frustrating dealing with someone who just doesn't get it.

Torts is ridiculously harsh. But, I don't think he's lying or exaggerating.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
When you watch the entire clip and take into account Tortorella's body language and tone, I don't think you can really say he was "ripping" into Duclair, unless you believe that criticizing someone's faults and pointing out the areas where they need to improve counts as ripping. Tortorella didn't bring up Duclair out of the blue. He was asked a very specific question by a reporter who wanted to know if he felt Duclair's poor on-ice performance came from lack of understanding or stubbornness. So basically before he even opened his mouth, he had been maneuvered into a corner by the reporter. This isn't to say that he absolutely had to pick one of those two options. If he was a more skilled PR person, Tortella probably could have produced an answer that didn't commit to either option. In a way, by saying "I don't know," he kind of did. To be honest I would rather my boss told people I was incompetent in some area of my job than tell them I was too stubborn to get with the program, since the latter implies you just don't care, or are too arrogant to change.

Tortorella went to great lengths to point out that going through the learning process with players is part of his job, and that it's something he enjoys. Basu's tweets also don't make clear that the last passage he quoted occurred three minutes after the end of Tortorella's previous comments on Duclair. In the intervening minutes he discussed a couple other subjects and then a reporter asked another question about Duclair.

Reactions: ZzZz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad