Tortorella rips Duclair

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Exactly. It hard to defend Duclair for his play.
But when is it ever Torts fault?
I get Duclair has struggled to grasp the style NHL coaches are teaching but by publicly dissing him all that does is hurt Duclairs chance to make a living somewhere else.
The funny thing is I get the feeling Torts really has the players backs but it still the wrong way to get the message across.
If Duclair wants to make a living maybe he should start listening to his coaches.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
When you watch the entire clip and take into account Tortorella's body language and tone, I don't think you can really say he was "ripping" into Duclair, unless you believe that criticizing someone's faults and pointing out the areas where they need to improve counts as ripping. Tortorella didn't bring up Duclair out of the blue. He was asked a very specific question by a reporter who wanted to know if he felt Duclair's poor on-ice performance came from lack of understanding or stubbornness. So basically before he even opened his mouth, he had been maneuvered into a corner by the reporter. This isn't to say that he absolutely had to pick one of those two options. If he was a more skilled PR person, Tortella probably could have produced an answer that didn't commit to either option. In a way, by saying "I don't know," he kind of did. To be honest I would rather my boss told people I was incompetent in some area of my job than tell them I was too stubborn to get with the program, since the latter implies you just don't care, or are too arrogant to change.

Tortorella went to great lengths to point out that going through the learning process with players is part of his job, and that it's something he enjoys. Basu's tweets also don't make clear that the last passage he quoted occurred three minutes after the end of Tortorella's previous comments on Duclair. In the intervening minutes he discussed a couple other subjects and then a reporter asked another question about Duclair.
When is it OK to air out your dirty laundry? Because that is what TORTS did.
A coach isn't going to voluntary bring this subject up to the media.
He could have easily handled the situation better.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Torts is not wrong. I like how everyone is ignoring all the praise that he gave the kid. That he has a wealth of upside, skill, and talent.

What did he say that is wrong? Is he in his 4th team? Yep.

Is he struggling to stay in the NHL? Yep.

Torts is transparent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DickSmehlik

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Torts is not wrong. I like how everyone is ignoring all the praise that he gave the kid. That he has a wealth of upside, skill, and talent.

What did he say that is wrong? Is he in his 4th team? Yep.

Is he struggling to stay in the NHL? Yep.

Torts is transparent.

The end goal for the coach is to get the most out of your guys.

If it was a calculated move to light a fire under him, then let's se how it goes.

If it was something just said because he is frustrated and needed to vent, that's not a great medium to choose, and shows a lack of restraint on his part.

Honestly with torts, I can't tell if it's the former or latter sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
When is it OK to air out your dirty laundry? Because that is what TORTS did.
A coach isn't going to voluntary bring this subject up to the media.
He could have easily handled the situation better.
I was talking about Torts' comments re Duclair. Panarin on the other hand...

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
Hockey fans complain about canned responses and boring interviews, then immediately sensationalize and distort an actual reasoned and thought-out response from a coach that gives a glimpse of what's happening behind the scenes. Never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad