Tortorella rips Duclair

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My post was critical of Torts.

"Deux poids, deux mesures" as we say in French.

The nearest equivalent would be "double standard" or "two different yardsticks".
I know I just meant they sent a team full of grinders and left off a bunch of star talent for that I thought mostly to make him happy

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
This is like his 4th team during his his developing years, something is going on between Duclair's ears that needs attention off ice.

Reactions: egelband

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We don't get to watch these players in practice and off the ice to see their commitment to the game. Torts does, and I'm guessing has talked to Duclair numerous times privately about the same issue(s). Going public is just part of the coach's toolbox to motivate and change a players behavior. There's no doubt that it's not a card you want to play too often.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd really like to hear how he conveys this content to Duclair himself in meetings if this is how he calls him out to the media.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
There was a lot more said during this exchange that made it sound much less harsh overall, but as usual the media cherry picked the juicy stuff to get the headlines.

He did still rip him to an extent though.

Reactions: TML1990

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
This guy is a joke. At what point do the Jackets either suspend or fire this clown? Seriously.

Is Duclair great? No. But why randomly call a player out like that? It's not like he was asked to describe Duclair as a hockey player. He just blurted it out.

Where's the PA?

This kind of "criticism" should not happen in public to anyone.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
My impression from the CBJ board is that Duclair has flaws but Torts definitely uses him as a scapegoat and ignores those flaws in his more favored players. If that's the case then it's unfortunate for him. I'd say he should get a chance on another team but this is already his 3rd(?) team so there also may be merit to the criticism.

It's his 4th NHL team. Drafted by NYR, traded to Arizona, then to Chicago, who didn't qualify him. Kid was only drafted 5 years ago and is already wearing out his welcome with his 4th team. Duclair has some talent, but there's a reason this keeps happening to him.

Reactions: Spazkat and BHD

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
If I was Duclair I would tell reporters that I don't really give a f*** what a guy from the ACHL thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
This guy is a joke. At what point do the Jackets either suspend or fire this clown? Seriously.

Is Duclair great? No. But why randomly call a player out like that? It's not like he was asked to describe Duclair as a hockey player. He just blurted it out.

I agree.
I'm over this kind of shit from him. It's cringy, embarrassing and just a really bad look. Unprofessional AF.

Reactions: saffronleaf

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
My impression from the CBJ board is that Duclair has flaws but Torts definitely uses him as a scapegoat and ignores those flaws in his more favored players. If that's the case then it's unfortunate for him. I'd say he should get a chance on another team but this is already his 3rd(?) team so there also may be merit to the criticism.
That was what happened to him in Arizona too. When he was traded to Chicago he had comments that he and his teammates were shocked how poorly he would get treated or what icetime was given.

It seems to be a pattern, but idk if its merely his hockey IQ or attitude about it not benefiting him.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
OP and tweet are being melodramatic here.

watch the interview. Torts didn't just "blurt it out" there was a clear inquisition and a multi part elaboration. Someone is cherry picking comments to fulfill a narrative.

3 teams later and this interview is spot on.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
How is Duclair supposed to defend himself when Torts calls him out like that?

It's certainly not positive re-enforcement. If anything it demotivates a player and causes tension and unrest in the lockeroom. A pro coach shouldn't publicly shame his team. There are other ways for Torts to teach and provide him with knowledge. If the player fails to listen or react than bench him. That's the type of discipline I would expect.
What does calling a player out in public accomplish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad