Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
He's played in 4 game 7's. 5 deciding games.

In deciding games

Leafs have scored 2 goals, 1 goal, 2 goals, 4 goals, 1 goal.

In those games, were Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Hyman, Dermott have also lost...

We may need Andersen to be better, but let's not pretend this is just a Andersen issue. We scored enough goals to win a game, in ONE of FIVE games. Nobody played well enough. Nobody should really be trusted to be game seven players, until they prove they are. If Campbell can get back to his streak form, I'm more than happy to go with him. If Andersen comes back, is injury free, and at peak Andersen levels, I'm happy to go with him. I don't really care, as long as that is the best goalie, right then. Heck, it could be Rittich, or Hutch for all I care....

But the whole team needs to be better than they have been. That's my point.

All true.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

In deciding games

In those games, were Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Hyman, Dermott have also lost...

We may need Andersen to be better, but let's not pretend this is just a Andersen issue. We scored enough goals to win a game, in ONE of FIVE games. Nobody played well enough. Nobody should really be trusted to be game seven players, until they prove they are. If Campbell can get back to his streak form, I'm more than happy to go with him. If Andersen comes back, is injury free, and at peak Andersen levels, I'm happy to go with him. I don't really care, as long as that is the best goalie, right then. Heck, it could be Rittich, or Hutch for all I care....

He lost both game 7s in Anaheim also. Both with us and the final game 5 in the qualifying round yes. 100% failure in all of them with 2 different teams nonetheless.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He lost both game 7s in Anaheim also. Both with us and the final game 5 in the qualifying round yes. 100% failure in all of them with 2 different teams nonetheless.

I mean, if you want to go with the Ducks too, he was the goalie that won them two series.... So, not 100% failures.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Only 2 goalies who played more than 4 games posted a higher playoff Sv% than Andersen last season (.936).
But we should totally decide he is trash because we know he sucks in the playoffs... Or something.

In deciding games

I mean, if you want to go with the Ducks too, he was the goalie that won them two series.... So, not 100% failures.

Might want to jump to 20:30 to listen to a coach that has used Freddy in the playoffs:

Bruce Boudreau breaks down Leafs' power play & goalies, talks NHL reffing & more - MLHS Pod Ep.12 | MLHS Podcast | Podcast Player | Maple Leafs Aggregator

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
so it's basically 50/50... such a shitty and crucial dilemma to have... we MUST figure this out before the playoffs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Funny enough thing about it is that if Campbell wins tonight with a solid game the dilemma will be gone ha

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Funny enough thing about it is that if Campbell wins tonight with a solid game the dilemma will be gone ha
the best case scenario for me is that Campbell plays well and Freddy gets back to 100% health...
the poll is 50/50 so I don't think there's any point to over plaqying JC or Freddy... try to keep both as fresh as possible and share the workload

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Only 2 goalies who played more than 4 games posted a higher playoff Sv% than Andersen last season (.936).
But we should totally decide he is trash because we know he sucks in the playoffs... Or something.

To be fair, in the past his macro stats were always solid, his bigger post season issues seemed to be mental during key situations.

I think your earlier point about other players on the team not having great game is fair, but conversely goaltending is a one man show.

I don't trust him in the playoffs at all, but best case scenario is he comes back pissed off and ready to make his critics look foolish for doubting him

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

In deciding games

This guy gets it. :nod:

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
It's not necessarily that our forwards were invisible those games. And it's not that Anderson played poorly in those games. In fact he has played well in some of them.

The concern is he got outplayed by the other goalie in all of them. It's like having batman in net. He's alright but I want superman in game 7

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be fair, in the past his macro stats were always solid, his bigger post season issues seemed to be mental during key situations.

I think your earlier point about other players on the team not having great game is fair, but conversely goaltending is a one man show.

I don't trust him in the playoffs at all, but best case scenario is he comes back pissed off and ready to make his critics look foolish for doubting him

I don't if Andersen is a battler who will play pissed to prove people wrong though. He seems like a guy whose success comes from being even keeled, business as usual, and when things begin to go sideways can struggle to keep things from really going sideways.

With 4x goalies in tow and so many question marks surrounding all of them, the Leafs best bet is just to play the hot hand. Could be Campbell. Or a darkhorse healthy Andersen. Even Big Save Dave. Or even Hutchinson if the house is burning down. Complete mystery box.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It's not necessarily that our forwards were invisible those games. And it's not that Anderson played poorly in those games. In fact he has played well in some of them.

The concern is he got outplayed by the other goalie in all of them. It's like having batman in net. He's alright but I want superman in game 7
It's not really Andersen's fault if the opposing goalies plays above even absurd levels like they did in the Columbus series. Andersen posted a .936 SV% and a 1.84 GAA in the playoffs last year , which is unfair to really criticize, especially when the Stanley Cup winning goalie Vasilveskiy posted .927 SV% and a 1.90 GAA. Obviously its not the same as Freddie played 5 games and not 25, but the fact that Freddie posted better numbers than a cup winning goaltender , should tell you that it might be a tad unfair to say he's always out played .

Quick stats here
16-17 = .915 SV% 18 goals against vs Holtby's .930 SV% 16 goals against
17-18 = .896 SV% 23 goals against vs Rask's .899 SV% 19 goals against
18-19 = .922 SV% 19 goals against vs Rask's .928 SV% 16 goals against

It's not as if he's being completely outshined by opposing teams goalies apart from last season where Korpisalo had .956 SV% and Merzlikins had .946% against the Leafs

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Leafs need to give their prospects a chance and see who can emerge. Just look at Nedejkovic in Carolina. We have Woll, Scott, Vehvilainen to try. Give time to Campbell and Anderson to heal what injuries they might have. We already know what Hutch and Rittich are. We need to find out what our prospects can do. If they are good, then we get lucky, if not, then that gives rest to Campbell. The Leafs refusal to rotate players in a condensed season has been very confusing.
Cap.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Well regardless of whichever goalie leads us to wins in the playoffs, it will be quite the story no matter what. Either it’s Jack Campbell, the forever backup who finally realized his potential after early career struggles, or Frederick Andersen, rising from the ashes of past playoff heartbreaks to earn some redemption.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's not really Andersen's fault if the opposing goalies plays above even absurd levels like they did in the Columbus series. Andersen posted a .936 SV% and a 1.84 GAA in the playoffs last year , which is unfair to really criticize, especially when the Stanley Cup winning goalie Vasilveskiy posted .927 SV% and a 1.90 GAA. Obviously its not the same as Freddie played 5 games and not 25, but the fact that Freddie posted better numbers than a cup winning goaltender , should tell you that it might be a tad unfair to say he's always out played .

Quick stats here
16-17 = .915 SV% 18 goals against vs Holtby's .930 SV% 16 goals against
17-18 = .896 SV% 23 goals against vs Rask's .899 SV% 19 goals against
18-19 = .922 SV% 19 goals against vs Rask's .928 SV% 16 goals against

It's not as if he's being completely outshined by opposing teams goalies apart from last season where Korpisalo had .956 SV% and Merzlikins had .946% against the Leafs

Game 6 and Game 7 in 2019 were pretty much mirrors of each other. Boston dominated Game 6, Leafs dominated Game 7. Rask made the saves he needed to in Game 6 and then stood on his head in Game 7. Andersen played well in Game 6 (although still gave up weak goals) but couldn't get it done in Game 7 even though we were the much better team.

Same thing happened in Game 5 against Columbus. Korpisalo stands on his head. Andersen gives up at least one goal, if not two, that he should not have given up.

People talk about the Leafs being incapable of playing in close, low scoring games in the playoffs, but it is hard to do when Andersen spots the other team a goal or two in a tight game. Maybe we don't win all of those low scoring games, but we are at least given a chance if Andersen makes some saves that he absolutely needs to make... And those goals are often the difference. I don't think there would be many fans complaining about Andersen if we were 2-0 in first round series in the Dubas era but 0-2 in the Lou era, and if we were allowed to be in those low scoring games without being down due to weak goals given up, we may realistically be 2-0 in the first round under Dubas.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If Andy is healthy, he is my starter.
he will not have played a game in two months before the start of the playoffs. Soup would have to be sporting an .850 save percentage for me to replace him with some one who has missed half the season and sporting an .897

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Hutch .944 at the bubble last year after four games in the PO Almost beat Stars
Maybe he should be considered as backup

Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
he will not have played a game in two months before the start of the playoffs. Soup would have to be sporting an .850 save percentage for me to replace him with some one who has missed half the season and sporting an .897
Agreed. I believe Andy plays at least one game prior to the playoffs. They have to figure out how to make the cap work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad