Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’d say your right that if Kucherov was healthy enough to play he’ll be playing. I’m sure they would love for him to get his timing down before the playoffs start.

They have tried pretty hard to dump Johnson salary though. He’s been on waivers a few times with no takers. Without retaining quite a bit I don’t think he’s tradable.
Retaining or attaching an asset. From the sounds of things, they were focused on moving Johnson until Kucherov elected surgery. Had it not been known he was gone until the playoffs I think they would have moved Johnson... They got a bit lucky and the injury kind of let them off the hook. That seemed to be the plan based on reports.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I received a scolding from hfboards, well deserved, I might add. Now I don't have a like button showing up.

Has that happened to anyone here before/ I love giving out likes, some great posters on the Leaf board.
Yeah they will scoop your Atta boy button away. The notice will tell you when you will get it back. I just know this from what people have told me right ;)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Can you name any other examples of this exceptional cap and asset management where a team traded a 3rd round pick for a player to play 3 games with them, then waive said player to free up cap space less than two weeks later?

...or has that never happened because nobody is that stupid? Serious question.

Look at it this way. Leafs gave up a 3rd round pick for a player that might not play for them in the playoffs, at all. The condition under which he'll probably not play for them in the play-offs, is the situation in which Andersen becomes 100% healthy for playoff time. He's a depth option that may never play an important game.

If he's waived, it means everyone got healthy for the play-offs. Great! He'll probably not play, either because he's claimed, or because we never had to go down to our 3rd stringer.

Teams pay 3rd round picks for players that sit on the bench in the playoffs all the time.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
"There's a separation between the team and the goaltender..." Does Hayes mean like a big five-hole separation? :sarcasm:
Keefe started this two factions thing by saying, I’m concerned about the goalkeeping but I’m not worried about the team. Completely segregated them. He would never do that to Andersen as we all know. Guy’s right that Goalies have screwed us. I bet he will be nit picked on his choice of words.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
It’s not that it’s taboo, it’s that they risk losing other pieces on waivers to swing it. Given that they’ve used so much draft capital to try and add depth and balance, that doesn’t seem like a smart move to potentially give some of it back for nothing just to get under a cap they left no wiggle room for.

How do they risk losing players to waivers? They literally do not need to waive anyone to get Andersen in...

What happens to taxi squad guys, did you waive 3 of them to make room?
Isn’t it a 23 man roster not 25, so are they even counting Foligno or Brooks.

What are you talking about?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Look at it this way. Leafs gave up a 3rd round pick for a player that might not play for them in the playoffs, at all. The condition under which he'll probably not play for them in the play-offs, is the situation in which Andersen becomes 100% healthy for playoff time. He's a depth option that may never play an important game.

If he's waived, it means everyone got healthy for the play-offs. Great! He'll probably not play, either because he's claimed, or because we never had to go down to our 3rd stringer.

Teams pay 3rd round picks for players that sit on the bench in the playoffs all the time.
Can you name an example of a team trading a 3rd round pick for a player to play 3 games for them, then waived to make cap space less than two weeks later?

Teams trade picks for depth, sure. I can’t think of anyone who traded a pick in the top 100 for a player that won’t be on their roster less than 14 days later. Can you?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
How do they risk losing players to waivers? They literally do not need to waive anyone to get Andersen in...

What are you talking about?
They don’t need to if they want to wait until playoffs to activate him.

Given Anderson’s propensity for starting slow, I’d think they want to get him in at least a game or two before the games count for real. No? If he’s ready to play, they need to get him in ASAP.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Soupy will start .. Freddy will be backup if he returns to lineup .. Keefer will play his best tender .. Freddy is 0-8 when it counts .. he had many shots and he failed every time .. we can't keep going with a TO loserville mentality

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
They don’t need to if they want to wait until playoffs to activate him.

Given Anderson’s propensity for starting slow, I’d think they want to get him in at least a game or two before the games count for real. No? If he’s ready to play, they need to get him in ASAP.

They dont need to waive anyone to get him in before playoffs...

Sandin, Brooks, Robertson down, Hyman LTIR

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They dont need to waive anyone to get him in before playoffs...

Sandin, Brooks, Robertson down, Hyman LTIR
That wasn’t my understanding. Someone posted previous that this would still leave them short.

And without Bogosian, don’t they need Sandin? Or is Hutton included in this? And will Hyman be eligible to be activated by game 1 of the playoffs?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That wasn’t my understanding. Someone posted previous that this would still leave them short.

And without Bogosian, don’t they need Sandin? Or is Hutton included in this? And will Hyman be eligible to be activated by game 1 of the playoffs?

Hutton is included, Hyman would have to be placed on LTIR today, or retroactive LTIR when Andersen is ready, to hit the 10 game requirement to be eligible for game 1 of the playoffs

Reactions: sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hutton is included, Hyman would have to be placed on LTIR today, or retroactive LTIR when Andersen is ready, to hit the 10 game requirement to be eligible for game 1 of the playoffs
That sounds like a much better plan than waiving a goalie they just traded a 3rd round pick for.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Teams trade picks for depth, sure.

Great, we're on the same page. The precise risks in which the Leafs depth acquisitions may never play a playoff game for the Leafs are just straw man arguments. Teams take these risks with futures every year with depth acquisitions.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Andersen, if healthy is goalie I’d want in net but has to get some games in before the playoffs start. If Bogosian goes on LTR and we waved Engvall could Andersen fit then? I’m hoping Hyman is back in 2 weeks and not eligible for LTR personally.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I was listening to a podcast with Bruce Broudreau and he basically came out and said from his own experience in Anaheim, and what he’s seen the last couple years, Andersen is a great goalie to get you to game 7, and then not very good in game 7.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Soupy will start .. Freddy will be backup if he returns to lineup .. Keefer will play his best tender .. Freddy is 0-8 when it counts .. he had many shots and he failed every time .. we can't keep going with a TO loserville mentality

I don't want to defend Andersen, but keep in mind we averaged 1.5 goals for, during those eight games, and got shutout what... three times. Andersen hasn't been the best, and often let in one weak goal, but I'm not sure which goalie is the guy who wins you many games, when the team doesn't score either.

We need more from everyone... we need the our best players, to be our best players.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Great, we're on the same page. The precise risks in which the Leafs depth acquisitions may never play a playoff game for the Leafs are just straw man arguments. Teams take these risks with futures every year with depth acquisitions.
Why are you avoiding the question? And why are you isolating one sentence of my post? Isn’t that against site rules? It would be easy to take someone’s comments out of context if you pick and choose specific sentences, right?

Teams trade late picks for pressbox depth. They don’t trade picks in the top 100 for it, much less waive the asset they receive less than two weeks later. That would be stupid, plain and simple.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
gotta go with Campbell and BSD since their going to be our 1a/1b tandem next year

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I didn't avoid the question. I said it was a straw man argument.

It's not against site rules to not address straw man arguments.
A straw man argument to ask for an example of a team trading a 3rd round pick for a player they waive 10 days later?

You’re trying to avoid acknowledging the stupidity of that.

And it’s against site rules to cut out all but one line of my post and reply with “Great, we’re on the same page”

Reactions: NinjaKick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad