Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

How do we get out of this? And who starts in the playoffs?

Andersen?

Campbell?

Rittich lol?

How do we handle the goaltending situation in the final games to put us in the best situation going into the playoffs?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So what’s with every Goalie getting worse when they play for us. Does the team seriously have to look at who’s the Goaltending Coach and fire his arse. They get worse when they get here. Why? Something is seriously wrong. These guys are head cases in no time after coming to Toronto.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mods might want to merge the Goaltending threads we put them up at basically the same time :). Great minds think alike. Leafs need this goaltending excellence department that other teams are starting to do. They could start by getting whoever runs goaltending now the hell out I’m thinking. This sh!t is gross

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are currently struggling to beat non playoff teams in their division losing to Van, Calgary and Ottawa recently with their current goaltending of Campbell, Rittich and Hutch.

No doubt Leafs management is hoping that Andersen is back and ready to go come playoff time, but he has never advanced the Leafs beyond the 1st round in his Toronto tenure in 4 attempts so far, and his game #7 performances often the reason for the Leafs early demise.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Leafs need to give their prospects a chance and see who can emerge. Just look at Nedejkovic in Carolina. We have Woll, Scott, Vehvilainen to try. Give time to Campbell and Anderson to heal what injuries they might have. We already know what Hutch and Rittich are. We need to find out what our prospects can do. If they are good, then we get lucky, if not, then that gives rest to Campbell. The Leafs refusal to rotate players in a condensed season has been very confusing.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs are currently struggling to beat non playoff teams in their division losing to Van, Calgary and Ottawa recently with their current goaltending of Campbell, Rittich and Hutch.

No doubt Leafs management is hoping that Andersen is back and ready to go come playoff time, but he has never advanced the Leafs beyond the 1st round in his Toronto tenure in 4 attempts so far, and his game #7 performances often the reason for the Leafs early demise.
Actually Vancouver can catch the Habs. Wouldn’t that be something if they take the Habs playoff spot...

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Haha i was doing a thread the same time as you. Mine was more along the lines that maybe since as soon as goalies get here theyget worse that it’s the coaching that’s the problem. I think it is a problem.
It really does feel that way. I don't know what the answer is and I doubt Keefe or Dubas no either. But that will be the number one concern going into the playoffs. And it's pretty clear that without decent goaltending, we'll have a very tough time winning 4 of 7 games.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Doesn't change regardless of the last 5 games.

1. Campbell (will rebound)
2. Freddy (needs to be 100%)
3. Rittich (will get better)
4. Hutch

We can't get lost in the last 5 games. Have an approach and stick to it for Game 1. Re-assess if needed after Game 1.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The decision to start Andersen in the playoffs was made last summer. The only way he doesn't start is if he is injured.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Healthy Andersen.

Sorry, but you live or die with your starter.

Yeah. You get him in as soon as he's ready. You've got to wonder if the recent struggles increase the urgency of bringing him back and how the dynamic of the cap would have to deviate from plan in order to activate him. The cap situation is a whole other ballgame if you ask me, especially with Hyman and Bogosian and the potential of LTIR for those two.

This management team is so selective with the info they let out but you've got to figure they could work something out if they need him back sooner than game 1.

In the short term, they just have to run with whatever hand is luke warm.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

4. Hutch

We can't get lost in the last 5 games. Have an approach and stick to it for Game 1. Re-assess if needed after Game 1.
Campbell will rebound for sure.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
One of them starts Game 1...another starts Game 2...

In all seriousness, I still believe the team has capable options in net. I will grant that those options are light on NHL playoff experience beyond Andersen. Andersen's injury complicates matters at the moment. On the one hand, Campbell and Rittich trading starts isn't necessarily the worst thing as it keeps both goalies playing regularly. Conversely, it probably wouldn't hurt to have someone eventually lay claim to the starter's role either. I think having four NHL goalies in tow was a sign of one issue (injuries). I admittedly didn't expect there to be a goaltending dilemma of the current kind.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Felix Potvin still available?

Campbell and Rittich are showing why they are career backups the last handful of games.
Just hope they can be on their hot-streaks coming into the playoffs - and pray to get out of the first round.

Freddy won't be healthy this year and will need time to get up to speed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This question will answer itself by virtue of their performances. It probably won't be decided until the eve of the playoffs.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well i look at the stats as a whole and Campbell still has the best results, regardless of his current slump. I'd have to go with him.

I know Andersen is starting to get popular again because he hasn't been on the ice recently to let in goals, but the season he was having before the injury was not good.

So if we are playing the what have you done for me lately game, Campbell and Rittich seem like the villains in this scenario. But gotta look at it as a whole. Can't forget those 11 wins just like that. Can't forget how poor Andersen was, just cause he hasn't had the chance to be poor lately by not playing.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah. You get him in as soon as he's ready. You've got to wonder if the recent struggles increase the urgency of bringing him back and how the dynamic of the cap would have to deviate from plan in order to activate him. The cap situation is a whole other ballgame if you ask me, especially with Hyman and Bogosian and the potential of LTIR for those two.

This management team is so selective with the info they let out but you've got to figure they could work something out if they need him back sooner than game 1.

In the short term, they just have to run with whatever hand is luke warm.

Really we need him back in during the regular season to at least try to get him in some sort of rhythm (a winning one ideally).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Actually Vancouver can catch the Habs. Wouldn’t that be something if they take the Habs playoff spot...

FYI: We lost to Montreal also during this 5 game losing streak.;)

Our Leafs have just lost 4 straight games to Vancouver now after winning the first 3 and if this was a 7 game playoff series we'd be out.

So would it be a good thing if Nucks pass the Habs and that is Leafs 1st round opponent?

Be careful what you wish for !!!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
FYI: We lost to Montreal also during this 5 game losing streak.;)

Our Leafs have just lost 4 straight games to Vancouver now after winning the first 3 and if this was a 7 game playoff series we'd be out.

So would it be a good thing if Nucks pass the Habs and that is Leafs 1st round opponent?

Be careful what you wish for !!!
I’m not that stupid to wish for anything but i sure would like to see the Habs out

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

4. Hutch

I agree, and if we do end up first and play the Habs, we are going to have a lot of practice before the playoffs as 4 of the last 10 games are against the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->