Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I think Campbell's recent stumble has some people thinking, and rightly so. If you accept Freddy's brutal season was somewhat driven by playing hurt for much of it, he was .936 in the 19-20 play-in and Campbell has never started an NHL playoff game. I went with Campbell because it isn't clear if Andersen will get in any regular season games but JC has to finish strong and that still might not mean he isn't a backup after his first playoff loss. Ideally they have a solid Campbell and a healthy Andy to choose from.

Campbell is 1-1 with .875 and .945 vs Habs this year. Freddie is .909. .920, .943, .875 3-1 vs Habs this year. Its close if they are both healthy.

Picking out sv% from individual games without context is useless

If you really want to cite sv% tho, I suggest you take a look where Andersen stands in the league. He’s been awful for almost two years now. It’s not an injury. His play is just falling off. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Campbell is the better goalie today. So you start him. That simple.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Requires Bogo and Hyman on LTIR, plus two of Brooks, Robertson and Sandin demoted.

Hmmm it’s doable I guess.

Bogo is out already.
Hyman is out until about 3 games left best case
Robertson will hopefully be held out to protect his elc
drop Brooks for a week.

I really think getting Freddie in at least 2
Games would be beneficial. Unless he is completely done

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Picking out sv% from individual games without context is useless

If you really want to cite sv% tho, I suggest you take a look where Andersen stands in the league. He’s been awful for almost two years now. It’s not an injury. His play is just falling off. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Campbell is the better goalie today. So you start him. That simple.

I agree that you need context.
I also feel you really need to have watched a lot of the games as well, to get a feel for how the defence played in front of the goalie, which is really difficult to discern from even the best advanced statistics. And Andy has just been falling off steadily going by eye test . . . it hasn't been dramatic, but the decline definitely became steeper this year.

Making things more complicated was that with a hot Campbell in net, you realised that our D was actually playing really well, we just weren't getting those consistent saves you need from any good NHL starting goalie.

I think Campbell is our guy - but I would also love to have Andy available, as you just never know.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Someone else mentioned this, but cap friendly shows lots of examples of players on deadline roster being demoted. Marincin is one example.

Marincin wasn't on the April 12th deadline roster. He was demoted on the 11th and Emergency Recalled on the 13th.

Players who are recalled after the deadline (whether normal recall or emergency recall) can be loaned back.

Also, players who were on Emergency Recall at the time of the deadline can be loaned back afterward as well.

marincin.PNG

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Campbell is my starter
Of course he is. Campbell is playing as well right now as Andersen ever has in his best seasons. To think it's not Campbell is crazy talk. They do have to decide what they want to do with Andersen though... Is he really healthy? Do they really think his poor play was the result of injury? Do they think he could be better than Rittich in a backup role? Would he even mentally accept a backup role after being the starter here for years? Right now Rittich is my backup, for me I might even go with Hutchinson, but by trading for Rittich I think that battle has already been decided. If Andersen is in the plans, they have to get him in a few games before the playoffs, and that's as a backup not a starter. I fail to see how they could put Andersen in a playoff game when he hasn't played in over a month and was terrible the last time he played.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Marincin wasn't on the April 12th deadline roster. He was demoted on the 11th and Emergency Recalled on the 13th.

Players who are recalled after the deadline (whether normal recall or emergency recall) can be loaned back.

View attachment 426191

Ek? Lettieri?

Just starting from A on teams lol.

Edit: misread those as promoted from TS to NHL. Nevermind that.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Not set in stone yet. If Campbell struggles in these last games and Andersen is deemed healthy it should be Andersen, if Campbell continues his good bounce back it's easily him.

All I know is this is the easiest route to the semis the Leafs have had in decades and maybe ever again. Take your pick

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
My prediction:

Game 55 May 12 vs. Ottawa --> Freddy starts and plays 30 minutes / Campbell plays the final 30.

Game 56 May 14 vs. Winnipeg --> Freddy plays the full game - Rittich backs up giving Jack a full game day off.

Game 1 playoffs ... Campbell starts and Freddy backup.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Soupy will start playoffs but having Big Sieve Dave going in as a backup really scares me .. I would rather have Hutch and you know Hutch from last year that says a ton .. so if we can get Freddy into 1 or 2 games at end of year then work da CAP magic baby ... much rather have Freddy as a backup than Hutch

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Kind of a dick-ish response

You were average at your best, bud, and that was in 2018.

Never been a fan of Andersen. Never had it out for him though. Always seemed like a nice guy and good pro.

But this comment raises an eyebrow, to say the least. There's confidence in the face of adversity, and then there's flat out saying "I'm great" when you clearly aren't.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
An overly confident goalie, hardly a telling moment or odd. I like swagger, now back it up then. Steal the crease Fred. I don’t care who’s in, just do the job.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->