Toronto vs Calgary 7 game series.

Who would win in a 7 game series with current rosters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Calgary has an identical GPG as Toronto does this season. Andersen has been bad in the playoffs for the Leafs (especially last season).
So if a "bad" Andersen takes the leafs to 7 games against Boston an average Andersen would beat Calgary

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
3.76 GAA and 89.6 save % IS bad. There's no getting around that. Calgary is also a better offensive team than Boston was last season (or this season).
But Calgary plays a style much more suited for the leafs then Boston. A 6-2 leafs win last week in Calgary was a sign of what would happen to Calgary against toronto. I would trust Andersen much more then the flames goaltending in a series

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
But Calgary plays a style much more suited for the leafs then Boston. A 6-2 leafs win last week in Calgary was a sign of what would happen to Calgary against toronto. I would trust Andersen much more then the flames goaltending in a series

That has nothing to do with Andersen playing poorly for the Leafs in the playoffs (which he has). It also completely ignores that Calgary's offense is just as good as Toronto's.

One game isn't an indication of how a 7 game series would go...if it was the Leafs better pray they don't play the Islanders in the playoffs.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

And we beat you guys at your own barn, so what gives? Teams lose and win all the time in different ways.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Vs a team with Matthews, Marner and Tavares and you want to try and pull this card lol?

Yes. Gaudreau is outscoring all 3. Monahan and Lindholm are both basically even with Tavares, well ahead if Matthews in points. Then there is Tkachuk, who is basically a point per game player. Stop over rating your team.

Reactions: flamesforcup

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
And flames beat u earlier in the year season series is 1-1 wow big deal. Anyways toronto is probably the only top 10 team which needs their goalie to steal them games regularly. If Anderson falters a bit Flames sweep or win in 5. Even if he plays good flames offense will dominate the soft Leafs D.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Leafs fans are truly delusional.

This series could go either way. Each team stomped the other on their own ice this year. Who knows what would happen.

I do know that the Leafs are likely going out in round one again this year though.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
This is a tough one.

Leafs have the edge in offense and goaltending. However, Calgary has a significant edge in their defense corps.

I voted Calgary because of their grit. I think from top to bottom Calgary is a tougher team, better suited for playoff hockey. Just my opinion.

Depth scoring and goaltending could easily swing this series the other way way though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Yup. A 6-2 win where 3 fluky goals were scored on one end, and on the other end the goalie stood on his head but was outshot and outchanced from the drop of the puck and one team was slumping heavily. That's not a sustainable way to win.

Quickly forget earlier in the season where Calgary bogged down the game with their defence, where Toronto couldn't get any momentum and lost 1-3. It's not like the playoffs tend to get heavier or anything.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
This is a weird one - both teams are a bit mentally fragile so it might be a test of nerves.

I'd vote Leafs but wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yup. A 6-2 win where 3 fluky goals were scored on one end, and on the other end the goalie stood on his head but was outshot and outchanced from the drop of the puck and one team was slumping heavily. That's not a sustainable way to win.

Quickly forget earlier in the season where Calgary bogged down the game with their defence, where Toronto couldn't get any momentum and lost 1-3. It's not like the playoffs tend to get heavier or anything.
you mean the game Toronto was missing Matthews and Nylander and occurred months ago? yeah, wonder why that game doesn't carry any weight. That said, I wouldn't encourage reading too much into the most recent game either.

Leafs don't win by getting out-chanced every game and getting bailed out by goaltending, though. Since Dec. 6 (Nylander's return), Leafs are 5th in scoring chance percentage at 53.8%. Calgary is 8th

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’ve been watching the poll results and I’ve noticed that they literally go back and forth between who won the most recent game. Toronto was above 50% last time I checked, but after getting destroyed by the Hawks, now they’re under 50% lol

Reactions: leafsfan5

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes. Gaudreau is outscoring all 3. Monahan and Lindholm are both basically even with Tavares, well ahead if Matthews in points. Then there is Tkachuk, who is basically a point per game player. Stop over rating your team.

You might want to take a quick peek at the sh% of some of those flames players this season (vs their career averages) before you start throwing aquisations of “overrating” around...

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gaudreau: 90
Lindholm: 76
Monahan: 76
Tkachuk: 68

Marner: 84
Tavares: 77
Matthews: 63
Kapanen: 42

Uhh... where's your argument?

This is key, as the Flames top 5 players are simply better as a group than the Leafs best 5 and this is almost always how playoff series go.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
You might want to take a quick peek at the sh% of some of those flames players this season (vs their career averages) before you start throwing aquisations of “overrating” around...

I took a quick peek at the top 50 in scoring between the 2 teams. What is your point on this. The only 1 who was close to average in sh% was marner. The rest where all above on both teams.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Gaudreau is the only Flames forward on the same level as Matthews/Marner/Tavares. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Toronto has the clearly better and deeper forward group. Calgary has better defensemen. They're not far apart as teams, but Toronto is just a little more talented and Calgary isn't really the type of team that gives them trouble. I'd say Leafs in 6

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Series could go either way, would be a fun one to watch.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Gaudreau is the only Flames forward on the same level as Matthews/Marner/Tavares. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Toronto has the clearly better and deeper forward group. Calgary has better defensemen. They're not far apart as teams, but Toronto is just a little more talented and Calgary isn't really the type of team that gives them trouble. I'd say Leafs in 6

LOL acting like they are so much better then our guys is what is ridiculous. Yes toronto is clearly better then calgary with their whole 2 points more scored and their 10 more goals scored against and 4 points overall in the standings. Yes all these things tells us that toronto has more talent then Calgary. But toronto is the center of the universe and we all better bow down before them LMFAO.

EDIT: i was using nhl.com for the goals against numbers and on 2 pages i get 2 different numbers. 1 page has 200 goals against and the other has 204 so I am not sure which numbers are the right ones.

Last edited:

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Toronto has a pretty big advantage in net, so i'd take them. Anderssen is a top 5 goalie in the league, while Smith/Rittich wouldn't be a starter for 90% of the league.

They might not be starters as you say on 90% of teams but they are sitting 10th for goals against while toronto is 14th.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
LOL acting like they are so much better then our guys is what is ridiculous. Yes toronto is clearly better then calgary with their whole 2 points more scored and their 10 more goals scored against and 4 points overall in the standings. Yes all these things tells us that toronto has more talent then Calgary. But toronto is the center of the universe and we all better bow down before them LMFAO.

EDIT: i was using nhl.com for the goals against numbers and on 2 pages i get 2 different numbers. 1 page has 200 goals against and the other has 204 so I am not sure which numbers are the right ones.

Those players are better. It's obvious to every non Flames homer. And I said the teams were close but Toronto is a little more talented. Not sure why the truth is so upsetting. Calgary has had basically everything go right only to still be slightly behind. Calgary fans are starting to be better at overrating their players though, which is a pretty impressive feat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad