Toronto vs Calgary 7 game series.

Who would win in a 7 game series with current rosters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Calgary has forwards that can pretty much match the Leafs in terms of skill and can play more physical. I think JG is the best forward right now on either team.
On defense it’s really no contest. Calgary is much deeper top to bottom.
Goaltending is where I give the Leafs the advantage. Andersen is one of the best in the league and is much more proven than Rittich.
So on balance I think Calgary wins.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Well to everyone its obvious that Gaudreau is the superior player in the part of the game that matters for offensive wingers and that is.... Offense! But u and other Leafs fans try acting like Marners defense somehow makes up for the offensive gap when that is laughable. If Marner cant even match Gaudreau while playing with a player like Tavares than what argument does he have?

He actually knows what defense means

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
He actually knows what defense means
Yea his -3 game where he was responsible for at least 1 goal sure showed it against the Avs. Small sample but every Leafs game i watch (ive caught maybe 5-10) he causes like 1 goal against almost every game.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Yea his -3 game where he was responsible for at least 1 goal sure showed it against the Avs. Small sample but every Leafs game i watch (ive caught maybe 5-10) he causes like 1 goal against almost every game.

I’m not even going to both bring up the stats of his takeways vs giveways because apparently you dont like to use facts. I see Johnny G giving up the puck quite often and not even bother to come back in his own end to help his teammates

Reactions: authentic

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
This is a wasted excercose as the matchup will never happen. Leafs can’t run the playoff gauntlet and the flames would have a tough time just getting out of the Pacific.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Dude, that poster is a joke. I showed him how Gaudreau gives the puck away twice as much as he takes it away and he just can't accept it. He also blocks far less shots than Marner and hits far less.

The last thing I want Johnny doing is blocking shots... And why exactly does hitting matter when comparing these players?? Getting body checked by either of these guys would be like having a normal sized 14 year old hit you...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The last thing I want Johnny doing is blocking shots... And why exactly does hitting matter when comparing these players?? Getting body checked by either of these guys would be like having a normal sized 14 year old hit you...
Don't worry about it. The poster was obviously desperate to find something that Marner was better at that Gaudreau and that's the best they had...
Scores more goals? Nope
Has more points? Nope
Gotta have a better +/-? Damn!

Oh here's one... Hits! Mitch has 17 and Gaudreau only has 4. Goody.
Oh here's another one. Blocked shots. Mitch has 19 and Gaudreau only has 5. <happy dance>

Pssst..... Let's not say anything about having more blocked shots usually means the other team has possession of the puck in your end more often and you're just trying to stop them from scoring on your team. Tough for Gaudreau to get those block shots numbers up when he's always in the other guys end with the puck on his stick.
Let him have that one.

LOL

Last edited:

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Don't worry about it. The poster was obviously desperate to find something that Marner was better at that Gaudreau and that's the best they had...
Scores more goals? Nope
Has more points? Nope
Gotta have a better +/-? Damn!

Oh here's one... Hits! Mitch has 17 and Gaudreau only has 4. Goody.
Oh here's another one. Blocked shots. Mitch has 19 and Gaudreau only has 5. <happy dance>

Psss. Let's not say anything about having more blocked shots usually means the other team has possession of the puck in your end more often and you're just trying to stop them from scoring on your team. Tough to get those block shots numbers up when you're always in the other guys end with the puck on your stick.
Let him have that one.

LOL

Thanks for proving he’s the better defensive player. I think most Leaf fans acknowledge that Gaudreau is the best player on both teams right now offensively but we obviously like what Marner is doing at 21. You guys like your guy we like ours its all in good fun I actually like the Flames team alot and if there’s one canadian team I would cheer for in the playoffs except the Leafs it would be them

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for proving he’s the better defensive player. I think most Leaf fans acknowledge that Gaudreau is the best player on both teams right now offensively but we obviously like what Marner is doing at 21. You guys like your guy we like ours its all in good fun I actually like the Flames team alot and if there’s one canadian team I would cheer for in the playoffs except the Leafs it would be them
Not disagreeing with you when it comes to defense. However I think that the height weight advantage that Marner has over Gaudreau (5'9" 160 lbs vs 6' 175 lbs) may have just a little bit to do with it. Gaudreau does his part (stick checks, etc) when he can but he's just not going to be able to muscle anybody off the puck.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not disagreeing with you when it comes to defense. However I think that the height weight advantage that Marner has over Gaudreau (5'9" 160 lbs vs 6' 175 lbs) may have just a little bit to do with it. Gaudreau does his part (stick checks, etc) when he can but he's just not going to be able to muscle anybody off the puck.
Gaudreau's listed at 5'9" 165lbs. There's a reach advantage for Marner but they're both on the very bottom end of the bell curve for weight, Marner's not overpowering people he's just good at positioning himself to get the puck and be gone with it before the guy he stripped can overpower him

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It matters because someone was trying to tell me Gaudreau was better defensively. And a normal sized 14 year old is 6'0 175? It's not just hitting either, it's every defensive stat.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Gaudreau is the better player period. Marner is not some selke contender on defense that it would even matter. Just cause Gaudreau has blown Marner out of the water i see Leafs fans grasping at things that dont matter like blocked shots for a line driving winger :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Ya i guess his blocked shots make up for the offensive difference. And he probably has the blocked shots cause he is hemmed in his own zone way more than Johnny.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Flames in 5 games. Marner, Glassews and Tavares would be abused. Norrisano will take Kadris head off this time.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Gaudreau is the better player period. Marner is not some selke contender on defense that it would even matter. Just cause Gaudreau has blown Marner out of the water i see Leafs fans grasping at things that dont matter like blocked shots for a line driving winger :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. Ya i guess his blocked shots make up for the offensive difference. And he probably has the blocked shots cause he is hemmed in his own zone way more than Johnny.

I hope he would blow him out of the water seeing hes 4 years older. If Marner continues on this trajectory the comparaison between the two might be laughable in a couple years. You seem to have this agenda against Leaf players for some reason while basically propping your boy Johnny G as the best thing since slice bread

Last edited:

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Lying about what? He has 38 takeways to 67 giveway? Sorry to hit you with some facts

"I see Johnny G giving up the puck quite often and not even bother to come back in his own end to help his teammates"

I mean there is video evidence of Marner doing this in this thread just the other night.

Now find evidence of Johnny turning the puck over and then doing something like that.

Johnny's defensive limitations are strictly size and stick length related. He is a very dedicated back checker and has great awareness in his own zone to predict passes and break up plays. I don't know where this 'bad defender' narrative was created.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Voted Calgary. Its close but other than goaltending Calgary has a better team. Ultimately comes down to defense.

Leafs might have a bit better offense, but Gaudreau is atleast on par with any of the Leafs top guys, plus the Flames are better at defending.

I think the Leafs are going to have trouble in the playoffs if they can't add to their defense.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Is Marner vs Gaudreau still being discussed?

Gaudreau 28g 70p
Marner 18g 59p

I guess the gap in production has ballooned enough for people to start peddling the myth that Gaudreau is weak defensively.

Reactions: Snowman

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think Toronto would win pretty easy.

Flames are a decent team but don't really have anything elite.

LUL. You're lost. Feel dirty for voting for the Lames...but you can't say they have no elite talent with a straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad