Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I missed that part, but I heard something else. Andi said something about the Leafs having too many games crammed in at this point of the year. It may not have been the greatest observation, as the other teams in the North, as Poulin mentioned, have the same schedule. But, man, was he ever a douche about it. Just non-stop laughing in the most condescending way you can imagine. Andi has patience. I would have lost it on air.

Yeah I heard it too. She was trying to make the point of the wear and tear on the Leafs players, she was not comparing schedules.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And I'm going to vent :)

Dave Poulin just said on Leafs lunch 15 mins ago that the Leafs look like the exact same team as last year and I think he needs to get his eyes checked.
Has anyone else noticed Dave Poulin fancies himself a realist and the smartest man in the room and as such is pretty much always negative?

This team is playing far better defensively, and funny enough haven't really found their scoring touch yet. I can't speak for advanced analytics, I'm not the most well versed in that area, but it's pretty clear from the usual stats they've notably improved defensively

I don't know it felt like him just propping up Montreal with the way he phrased it all.
He's awful. He also said Marner is playing 6-7 minutes more then the Leafs want. Seriously? That would put him in the 16-17 minute mark. Poulin is just bad

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I like Andi and Poulin as people, but leafs lunch has gotten worse over the years. Theyre actively searching for narratives. And providing cringe worthy opinions. I'll pass. Oddly enough, I like the dangle podcast more. Adam Wylde is a terrific moderator for conversation.

Everything I hear about Leafs Lunch makes it sound just awful. Everyone on it lacks charisma, insight, and fish for controversies. I suppose all you can do is make up BS when you can't provide anything useful to say and have zero charm or personality.

Reactions: Confucius

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
I like Andi, but I’m over her voice at this point. Also, multiple segments turn into her talking about herself. Most days I skip it due to work.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Likely the greatest radio sports show in the country's history, and they pissed it away to this...whatever the heck this is they have now. Highest ratings to barely nothing. I bet the savings from McCown's salary are far outweighed by the loss in advertising revenue.

Getting rid of McCown made Toronto sports radio completely unlistenable. Yes, that includes OverDrive.

Wait ... what about Andi Petrillo? :sarcasm:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Yeah, I mean Andi says some things that aren't always the most insightful or even at times homerish, but the way people talk to her on the show is super condescending.
Craig Button and Gord Miller are the worst ones imo.

Also, I think it's potentially a fair comment to have brought up in the case you're mentioning, working within the context that going into the game on Sunday Toronto had played twice as many games as Calgary and Calgary had been sitting for 6 days. I didn't hear the conversation, but I'd assume that's where she was coming from.
You can take a listen to it here. You can hear Poulin's villainous laugh at 26:10. lol (the conversation starts about a minute before that)

Leafs Lunch: January 25, 2021 - Hour 1

Reactions: stickty111

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Yeah, I mean Andi says some things that aren't always the most insightful or even at times homerish, but the way people talk to her on the show is super condescending.
Craig Button and Gord Miller are the worst ones imo.

Also, I think it's potentially a fair comment to have brought up in the case you're mentioning, working within the context that going into the game on Sunday Toronto had played twice as many games as Calgary and Calgary had been sitting for 6 days. I didn't hear the conversation, but I'd assume that's where she was coming from.

Oh definitely, unbelievably arrogant blowhards. They always make a point of being extremely obnoxious to Andi and they aren't offering particularly ground breaking points either. It's all uninsightful but Miller and Button get to be giant assholes too.

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Oh definitely, unbelievably arrogant blowhards. They always make a point of being extremely obnoxious to Andi and they aren't offering particularly ground breaking points either. It's all uninsightful but Miller and Button get to be giant assholes too.
Button claimed that the Jets now have the best centers in the Canadian division. The gap between McDavid + Draisaitl compared to Scheifele+ PLD is so big there's no way that 20 point adam lowry makes up that difference with how much better he might be than the Oilers 3rd line center, what a ridiculous take.

Reactions: Stigma

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Button claimed that the Jets now have the best centers in the Canadian division. The gap between McDavid + Draisaitl compared to Scheifele+ PLD is so big there's no way that 20 point adam lowry makes up that difference with how much better he might be than the Oilers 3rd line center, what a ridiculous take.
When was the last time Button said anything positive about the Maple Leafs?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Much better out there...

I can't see her lasting much longer. Leaf's lunch is an absolutely terrible radio show.

Should be Mike Johnson's show.

Didn't say she was the best...just that she was nice. ;)

Anyways, lightheartedness aside, Mike Johnson deserves such a bigger platform. Don't know if he has it in him to host. But I'd be all for TSN nuking both O-Dog and Noodles and running OverDrive with Hayes and Johnson. Both intelligent, well spoken individuals who are able to provide both excellent commentary along with some levity. No clue why both TSN and Sportsnet removed him from his role as a colour commentator.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Not Toronto media, but regular overdrive guest Jason Strudwick apparently suggested that Kassian run Andersen on Friday.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Love Noodles equating Leafs fans mad at a known dirty player "accidently on purpose" falling and kneeing on an already injured goalie to Flams fans being mad at Tkachuk getting a puck lightly flipped at him.

Reactions: stickty111

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
If you don't know why we didn't like Hughson, you're either an imposter or just stupid.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Love Noodles equating Leafs fans mad at a known dirty player "accidently on purpose" falling and kneeing on an already injured goalie to Flams fans being mad at Tkachuk getting a puck lightly flipped at him.
Just a few minutes ago, Noodles got low key upset at the Gerry take that only McDavid and Drai as teammates will have more points then Matthews and Marner. You could tell he was looking for any pairings in his head that could have more.
Noodles then said in regards to Matthews and Marner "I know they are the greatest players ever constructed, but there are other great players. Hayes then took a shot at Noodles saying "I know you like to keep it balanced, but Marner has had a ton of points last couple years". Noodles responds "Marner has never had 100 points".
This guy is so desparate.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Just a few minutes ago, Noodles got low key upset at the Gerry take that only McDavid and Drai as teammates will have more points then Matthews and Marner. You could tell he was looking for any pairings in his head that could have more.
Noodles then said in regards to Matthews and Marner "I know they are the greatest players ever constructed, but there are other great players. Hayes then took a shot at Noodles saying "I know you like to keep it balanced, but Marner has had a ton of points last couple years". Noodles responds "Marner has never had 100 points".
This guy is so desparate.

Christ. Sounds like when Noodles and O were adamant Marner wouldn’t be the highest scoring winger and could only come up with like two guys. I don’t care for Gerry’s percentages to begin with so I turned it off before that. Honestly it seems like Noodles is salty the Leafs swept the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad