Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
After five decades on Canadian airwaves, Brian Williams quietly exits the stage – The Athletic

And now, he is quietly stepping away.

“I’m 75,” he said on Wednesday. “Fifty years, to me, was always a time to aim for. And when it became possible, I thought, ‘you know what? Now is a good time just to be able to step back and enjoy life with the grandchildren, the family.’

“It’s the right time for me.”

Williams is scheduled to make a cameo appearance on TSN during the network’s pregame coverage of the Grey Cup next Sunday. It is expected he will share a segment with host James Duthie, talking about his career and some of his favourite Grey Cup memories.

Those memories remain razor-sharp. Williams rhymed off a list of career highlights, from the stadiums where they took place to the stars who shone, to the final scores. (His favourite Grey Cup, for example, was in 1989, at SkyDome — now Rogers Centre — with Kent Austin named MVP, Dave Ridgway kicking the winning field goal and the final score standing at 43-40 for the Prairie team.)

“I’m just very fortunate,” he said, “to have been to a lot of places and have these great memories.”

In a retirement that began during a pandemic, Williams said he has spent more time reading. He said he is not handy, so he does not have any renovation projects on his schedule, but he does enjoy gardening and tinkering around outside.

He has also spent more time golfing.

“They say the more you play, the better you get,” he said. “I’m not sure that’s true. But I do enjoy it.”

Williams and his wife, Geraldine, also have three children and five grandchildren.

“Certainly,” he said with a chuckle, “I’m not just sitting around.”

Last edited:
Reactions: keonsbitterness

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Was thinking about it today. I haven't listened to Overdrive in quite a while. Has Hayes and the crew eaten crow when it comes to Liljegren?
Nope. JD Bunkis has started going on the Liljegren train though. He was praising him today. He was saying if Lilly and Muzzin work, you don't have to get another defenceman. While Hayes and Jeff acted like you have no choice but to get another d man, Hayes was still saying "I don't think Liljegren can do this, I don't think Liljegren can do that". Now he wasn't ripping him, just saying he doesn't think Liljegren can play tough minutes which is a fair opinion, but he doesn't really praise him either.
Bourne with just his comments seems to give the indication he is a big Holl super fan. He was saying something like they should help Holl get fixed, and then Kyper of all people had a good point and said why spend 2 months in fixing Holl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Nope. JD Bunkis has started going on the Liljegren train though. He was praising him today. He was saying if Lilly and Muzzin work, you don't have to get another defenceman. While Hayes and Jeff acted like you have no choice but to get another d man, Hayes was still saying "I don't think Liljegren can do this, I don't think Liljegren can do that". Now he wasn't ripping him, just saying he doesn't think Liljegren can play tough minutes which is a fair opinion, but he doesn't really praise him either.
Bourne with just his comments seems to give the indication he is a big Holl super fan. He was saying something like they should help Holl get fixed, and then Kyper of all people had a good point and said why spend 2 months in fixing Holl.
Wow. Its like the guy can't just admit he was wrong.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Wow. Its like the guy can't just admit he was wrong.
Such an annoying personality trait.

I also listened to a bunch of radio the other day and, as sticky111 mentioned, some people, like Kyper, JD, Al's brother, Julia T are admitting errors. But some of the others are still subtely dissing him.

The combination of Bourne's high voice and his irrational Lily dislike, makes me feel like striking him.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Was thinking about it today. I haven't listened to Overdrive in quite a while. Has Hayes and the crew eaten crow when it comes to Liljegren?

There's nothing wrong with not rating a player maybe as much as others, it's a matter of preference. But Hayes was adamant Liljegren wouldn't amount to anything in the NHL for whatever reason. It was odd since he admitted to not watching much of the Marlies. So yeah, he should maybe own it and take the L on this one.

Reactions: stickty111

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
There's nothing wrong with not rating a player maybe as much as others, it's a matter of preference. But Hayes was adamant Liljegren wouldn't amount to anything in the NHL for whatever reason. It was odd since he admitted to not watching much of the Marlies. So yeah, he should maybe own it and take the L on this one.
You would think he would learn to not speak on someone he doesn't watch after Bobby Mac contradicted him live on air last year.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

I don't listen regularly, but in the shows I have tuned in for they seem up and down on Liljegren.

One day, Hayes and McLennan will say things like 'we really underestimated him because he spent so much time in the AHL'. They next day, they'll be like 'Leafs need to upgrade on Liljegren to win in the playoffs'.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I've enjoyed Kyper and Bourne as of late. Actually, to my surprise I find myself listening to 590 a lot more lately, and rarely bother with 1050, unless of course Ray is on, then I'll find the podcast.

When Kyper was on with those other 2 stooges, they just yelled over each other. Now its a good mix of Kyper and Bourne where Bourne is a good mixer for Kyper, they compliment each other very well

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
When Kyper was on with those other 2 stooges, they just yelled over each other. Now its a good mix of Kyper and Bourne where Bourne is a good mixer for Kyper, they compliment each other very well
I agree with this. Kyper and McLean were two positively charged batteries. It was irritating hearing their voices on the radio. Bourne and Kyper compliment each other waaaay better. Also, Kypreos is taking himself less seriously these days (he read out tweets calling him a meathead), which is a good move.

I'm also on 590 more often these days. I prefer listening to Eliotte in the morning than Dreger.

Reactions: Anthrax442

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Andi Petrillo is dumb as a bag of hammers.
Virtually every opinion she gave on overdrive today was the worst take I have ever heard. she lives in a complete pipe dream.

Ya but apparently she was showing off at the start today. Anyone got a screenshot Idont watch on tv

I do like her better than a lot of people, she's a fan I like having a fan there. Better than the condescending jerks like button

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I love hearing Hayes whining about all the Covid restrictions and going off on Ford.

The guy has been working from home since this whole Covid thing started. While most other TV personalities are back in studio, there he is all comfy in his basement, no need to warm up the car, put on a hat & mitts to drive to the TSN studio. Probably has a mini-fridge beside him, golf shorts on and Uber Eats on speed-dial.

Reactions: forecheck

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I love hearing Hayes whining about all the Covid restrictions and going off on Ford.

The guy has been working from home since this whole Covid thing started. While most other TV personalities are back in studio, there he is all comfy in his basement, no need to warm up the car, put on a hat & mitts to drive to the TSN studio. Probably has a mini-fridge beside him, golf shorts on and Uber Eats on speed-dial.

And if runs out of bread he could always just eat cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad