Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I love hearing Hayes whining about all the Covid restrictions and going off on Ford.

The guy has been working from home since this whole Covid thing started. While most other TV personalities are back in studio, there he is all comfy in his basement, no need to warm up the car, put on a hat & mitts to drive to the TSN studio. Probably has a mini-fridge beside him, golf shorts on and Uber Eats on speed-dial.

I've worked from home every day since the start and I would absolutely love to go back to the office, but since my job can be done from home i'm not allowed to go back.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
I love hearing Hayes whining about all the Covid restrictions and going off on Ford.

The guy has been working from home since this whole Covid thing started. While most other TV personalities are back in studio, there he is all comfy in his basement, no need to warm up the car, put on a hat & mitts to drive to the TSN studio. Probably has a mini-fridge beside him, golf shorts on and Uber Eats on speed-dial.

O'dog repeatedly saying he would quit the show if told to return to the office/studio-- I could never tell if he was serious or not

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Haha. What was she saying?
Just completely non sensical things.
They should move a game later this month outdoors because it’s the afternoon game kids attend so they don’t have to reduce capacity to 50%.
They were talking Kase and Bunting. She complained leafs sign these bargains they succeed and then we lose them. Her examples were Thornton and some one else who was useless for us.
Any way just everything she said was crazy. She’s clearly passionate and has a great voice. But not so logical. Sounds like leafs lunch is all the better with the new team. The only time I have heard her is when she guests on Overdrive

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
The more I listen to 32 Thoughts the more I see the two (mainly Elliotte) talk out of both sides out of their mouths. "Everything is on the table, league is heading to a shut down." ..." I had someone tell me not to be surprised if they play on". Uh ok?

They spend more time (again mainly Elliotte) blabbering on about their "sources" and how they couldn't possibly reveal any. I'm aware the overwhelming majority of these "insiders" are full of it, that's the job, I get it. But things have got quite repetitive with the "a GM" or "player told me" stuff every other sentence. The podcast can be fun when the two are speculating about where certain players could end up around the deadline, but as of now they're taking themselves way too seriously.

I can't handle Marek's fake laugh anymore either, I've heard him on Chiclets a few times too where he showed a completely different personality that was fresh to see.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Frank Corrado off to a fine start, the anti Carlo lol, great vocabulary and comfortable smooth delivery of his ideas. Would enjoy him getting a regular spot on Leaf lunch. More Frank, much less of the Bar down people please.
Did he just recently get hired by TSN or was it just a one off?

Just curious because he was really good on the SDP so I wonder if that exposure helped lead him to that gig.

Reactions: meefer

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Did he just recently get hired by TSN or was it just a one off?

Just curious because he was really good on the SDP so I wonder if that exposure helped lead him to that gig.

Not sure, I sense that it’s a tryout/fillin thing right now. He’s been really strong where ever I’ve heard him. I hope that he gets a regular gig soon preferably on leaf lunch.

Reactions: stickty111

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The more I listen to 32 Thoughts the more I see the two (mainly Elliotte) talk out of both sides out of their mouths. "Everything is on the table, league is heading to a shut down." ..." I had someone tell me not to be surprised if they play on". Uh ok?

They spend more time (again mainly Elliotte) blabbering on about their "sources" and how they couldn't possibly reveal any. I'm aware the overwhelming majority of these "insiders" are full of it, that's the job, I get it. But things have got quite repetitive with the "a GM" or "player told me" stuff every other sentence. The podcast can be fun when the two are speculating about where certain players could end up around the deadline, but as of now they're taking themselves way too seriously.

I can't handle Marek's fake laugh anymore either, I've heard him on Chiclets a few times too where he showed a completely different personality that was fresh to see.

I think without a doubt that Friedman has a direct line to the league front office and is their trusted man in the media to distribute the information in the way the league wishes to spin it.

Reactions: ultra63

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think without a doubt that Friedman has a direct line to the league front office and is their trusted man in the media to distribute the information in the way the league wishes to spin it.

Friedman's become a corporate lackey ever since moving to Rogers. I used to think he was the best in the business, even over Bobby Mac and Dreger, but now I couldn't be bothered to listen to him.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
Friedman's become a corporate lackey ever since moving to Rogers. I used to think he was the best in the business, even over Bobby Mac and Dreger, but now I couldn't be bothered to listen to him.
Used to be good sure but I think its pushing it to be better than Bobby Mac.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
If TSN fired O' Neil - would anyone else hire the guy ? Not likely!!! Same for Hayes -- Get off the pedestal boys .... Your not that important!

Reactions: Blowfish

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021
If TSN fired O' Neil - would anyone else hire the guy ? Not likely!!! Same for Hayes -- Get off the pedestal boys .... Your not that important!
Yea, they actually are. They took down Bob McCown before it was all said and done. That's an enormous feat.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021

Marek started at the Fan over 20+ years ago as Spider Jones' producer (as Gentleman Jeff). Elliot Friedman was there on that team as well - that's where the "Freidge" nickname originated. They cut their teeth on Spider Jones' late night show. Marek has toned down his personality a ton but he's very knowledgeable with MMA, wrestling and hockey.

Marek was very good on LAW (Live Audio Wrestling) with Dan Lovranski and Jason Agnew (who now has a Sunday AM show on NewsTalk 1010).

Cool to see how these guys evolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Marek started at the Fan over 20+ years ago as Spider Jones' producer (as Gentleman Jeff). Elliot Friedman was there on that team as well - that's where the "Freidge" nickname originated. They cut their teeth on Spider Jones' late night show. Marek has toned down his personality a ton but he's very knowledge with MMA, wrestling and hockey.

Marek was very good on LAW (Live Audio Wrestling) with Dan Lovranski and Jason Agnew (who now has a Sunday AM show on NewsTalk 1010).

Cool to see how these guys evolved.

Man, Spider Jones - as a kid I would fall asleep listening to him. Still remember when he had some wrestler on who jokingly kept hitting on him on the show and Spider (a former champion boxer) and he got into an actual fistfight live.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As an outsider who loves to listen Toronto sports radio podcasts, I miss Scott MacArthur. Overdrive is the only show worth listening nowdays.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Hayes is the best sports radio host in Toronto by a country mile. He's arguably the best in the whole country.

I urge people in this thread to try and listen to other sports radio stations in Canada. They are almost unlistenable. The hosts are terrible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad