Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
People aren't asking Overdrive to start digging through legal files, reach out to lawyers etc. They expect the people on the show to use their platform for good. I haven't personally listened to the Overdrive segment, but if what people in here are saying is true, its completely counter intuitive if the people on overdrive are not condemning what Q/Stan Bowman etc have done. It sends the wrong message to the listeners. Chris Johnston had no problem taking accountability for himself, and had no issue calling out the NHL and members of the Blackhawks organization at the time.

Jeff and Noodles are both deeply rooted in hockey culture as they have had long careers in the NHL. Its not really a shock that they wouldn't criticize what Q did. Thats the issue here.

This isn’t true. Jeff was very outspoken the first couple of shows after the news came out. He did talk about it being a stain on hockey and how there are bad people in hockey that ruin it for the rest. He also talked about if it was his son he would be pissed and want answers. He was the most outspoken about it earlier. Noodles has a relationship with Q so I wouldn’t expect him to say anything. I also think someone on Steve Dangle podcast mentioned it before. It’s easier for them to cover it because they have no real connection to the NHL. Steve is an “insider”. There is no consequence if they say what the feel. They acknowledge that some people who are connected to the NHL could be shunned and they hope more people connected to the NHL speak out. But not every platform is equipped to talk about these issues. I don’t think Overdrive is the show for a deep talk about it. That doesn’t mean they don’t care about the issue.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Hockey Night in Canada is unwatchable now - Just sayin!

How is it that 8 years into their deal, and Rogers still puts out an inferior product. The new set is even worse than the over-the-top monstrosity at the CBC studio. Like it is set in someone's man cave.

The fireplace sit-down after the game on the couches didn't work the first go 'round when Strombo was host. Have no clue why they think it'll work this time.

It's sad how much HNiC has declined and become complete irrelevant in such a short period of time.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hockey Night in Canada is unwatchable now - Just sayin!

The hockey games themselves are watchable plus Cuthbert is far less annoying than the passive aggressive stylings of Jim Hughson. The intermission discussions are really dull. I've ceased watching anything live as to avoid all modern advertising that mostly oscillates between cloying and sanctimonious.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Watched the game with a buddy Saturday and he was going on about how much he hates Cuthbert. Says he hates the Leafs and is constantly putting them down.
I know I don't really pay a lot of attention to the commentary but I was pretty surprised by that. Anyone else think the same?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Watched the game with a buddy Saturday and he was going on about how much he hates Cuthbert. Says he hates the Leafs and is constantly putting them down.
I know I don't really pay a lot of attention to the commentary but I was pretty surprised by that. Anyone else think the same?
I have never held that opinion. It's actually the first i have ever heard that. One of the best in the business, for sure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not in the least.
I have never held that opinion. It's actually the first i have ever heard that. One of the best in the business, for sure.

I told him that I thought he had Cuthbert confused with Hughson but he said 'no'.
My buddy isn't the sharpest spoon, probably has them mixed up.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021

In my experience, Leaf haters usually hate any play by play or colour commentator if they aren't Leaf haters as well. A Leaf hater will be a neutral/fair and balanced person and a fair, even handed pro becomes a pro-Leaf/stupid homer. It's all part of Maple Leaf Derangement Syndrome.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think some people are being tough on people unfairly (looking at Overdrive specifically).

I don’t think it makes sense to expect or ask the Overdrive guys to provide any insight or value on the Beach story. They kept the Westhead interview pretty vanilla. No real added value other than what Rick was saying which is fine from a show that like. Overdrive isn’t a news show, it’s entertainment. Going there for journalism or news makes no sense. None of those guys are trained journalists and really are just former athletes with no formal education for broadcasting.

I look at it like this. You wouldn’t go to a guy who specializes in oil changes for real car work. You wouldn’t go to corporate lawyer for family law advise. You wouldn’t go to an auditor for tax advice.

Chris Johnston said it pretty well for some of the criticism of journalists. Not everyone is comfortable or skilled as an investigative journalist. He wouldn’t be able to do it justice.

If we are turning to sports talk shows to look for moral guidance in our daily lives then we have bigger problems ourselves. Who cares what the Overdrive guys think.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I find Cuthbert to call a pretty clean game.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
How is it that 8 years into their deal, and Rogers still puts out an inferior product. The new set is even worse than the over-the-top monstrosity at the CBC studio. Like it is set in someone's man cave.

The fireplace sit-down after the game on the couches didn't work the first go 'round when Strombo was host. Have no clue why they think it'll work this time.

It's sad how much HNiC has declined and become complete irrelevant in such a short period of time.

I was very lukewarm on Strombo at the time. Right now he would be a massive improvement over the product they put on the air.

I don't especially care about the set. The bigger issues are the personalities (or lack therof) and the content. There is just next to nothing there to hold my interest. And why are they still holding onto Hometown Hockey?

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Pretty telling that Overdrive had Eddie O on and not a single question about Kyle Beach.
It’s an entertainment show not an issues show.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Cuthbert is as neutral as you'll ever get from a commentator, does anyone know a team he supported perhaps as a kid? i dont think so that tells you how good he is at being neutral. Every man and his dog knows hughson is a canucks fan. Your mate has got to be thinking of hughson.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Funny moment on overdrive today as O'dog begins by complaining about how we can't appreciate the on-ice performance and instead immediately talk about contracts and McLennan responds by saying, "anyway, what does Jack Campbell's next contract look like?"

Reactions: Garyboy and OddyOh

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Cuthbert is as neutral as you'll ever get from a commentator, does anyone know a team he supported perhaps as a kid? i dont think so that tells you how good he is at being neutral. Every man and his dog knows hughson is a canucks fan. Your mate has got to be thinking of hughson.

Simpson has corrupted Cuthbert. And also, the leafs were playing like ass to start the season so there's not much positive to say at the moment.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs Lunch duo seem to be a great fit for the typical Toronto hockey fan. They let Button talk absolute nonsense about the Lightning secondary playoff scoring last year. I thought he may have been testing them , but maybe he didn’t watch any of the playoffs either.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
I really appreciate those side sweeping views of the Panel on HNIC.
Jennifer Botterill, Good lord!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad