Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
What did he say?
Nothing specific, just taking his role as the unbiased common sense foil to the leaf fan a little too far.
Was dramatically defending the Habs run a little too much yesterday and recently.

Anyway, I am starting to lean more and more towards him providing little value to the show.
I would be up for Mike Johnson sliding in. He can be the straight man to Odog and Hayes goofiness, and he has more intelligent insight into other sports as well. I don't get the sense that Noodles follows any sports other then hockey.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Nothing specific, just taking his role as the unbiased common sense foil to the leaf fan a little too far.
Was dramatically defending the Habs run a little too much yesterday and recently.

Anyway, I am starting to lean more and more towards him providing little value to the show.
I would be up for Mike Johnson sliding in. He can be the straight man to Odog and Hayes goofiness, and he has more intelligent insight into other sports as well. I don't get the sense that Noodles follows any sports other then hockey.
I hear you. The one thing that really confuses me about Noodles........when he started the show, he obviously had no interest in other sports outside of hockey. However, let's say any one of us on this forum came into the same situation as him with the same interest in just hockey. If we're listening to others speak about other sports 3 hours a day, wouldn't we, maybe 6 months later, start to become an expert in every sport? I mean, you're listening to coaches and other experts talking about their sport every day. I think I would become very, very knowledgeable about every sport within a year, at the latest.

Yet, here we are, 5 years (or more?) later and he still looks to Hayes and asks dumb questions (e.g., "the White Sox are pretty good, right?") or quickly draws parallels to hockey every opportunity he can. I don't get it. At least pretend you know about other sports.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
<rant>

I find it amazing that Dan Patrick's two hour show has no mention of NHL. If they do mention it, its by team and thats only in passing. No players are ever mentioned in any depth. No interviews with talking heads or coaches.

This for a league with 95% of the teams in the USA. This with fans filling the arenas except in two or three markets (i.e Panthers).

And they are perfectly fine with it. They can fill two hours of his show talking NBA, NFL, and MLB.

The NHL has a long way to go with media coverage in the US. We have amazing athletes in the this league. They are not getting marketed nationally.

Even Nike or Adidas, when was a player in the NHL marketed like LeBron as a super star or paid as such?

Meanwhile, we are stuck with the three stooges and bob's brother on Overdrive.

</rant>

Reactions: Roadhog

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
<rant>

I find it amazing that Dan Patrick's two hour show has no mention of NHL. If they do mention it, its by team and thats only in passing. No players are ever mentioned in any depth. No interviews with talking heads or coaches.

This for a league with 95% of the teams in the USA. This with fans filling the arenas except in two or three markets (i.e Panthers).

And they are perfectly fine with it. They can fill two hours of his show talking NBA, NFL, and MLB.

The NHL has a long way to go with media coverage in the US. We have amazing athletes in the this league. They are not getting marketed nationally.

Even Nike or Adidas, when was a player in the NHL marketed like LeBron as a super star or paid as such?

</rant>

The NHL marketing its stars has always been an issue.

And I suppose any American fan listening to a Canadian radio station will complain that it is NHL/hockey dominated. Heck, basketball and baseball fans up here complain about as such. Stations will focus on their bread and butter. No surprise the NHL is only mentioned in passing in the U.S.

What I do take issue with -- and this goes back to the Fan590's days where they'd syndicate The Fabulous Sports Babe's show -- is why are you playing a U.S. show on a Canadian station where there is absolutely minimal interest in such a show. Her show for example, would always crap on the NHL and she'd hang up on callers who wanted to talk hockey. Why would I, as a hockey-loving Canadian, tune in to listen to such garbage?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Noodles is a dumbass trying to act smart and rational. He's f***ing clueless.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
<rant>

</rant>
Real issue is national outlets like Dan Patrick's can't do hockey as their is no national interest for hockey .. not to say their is not interest in hockey but it is a localized thing .. for instance my brother in law in Connecticut loves da Bruins but he has zero interest overall in NHL .. he loves basketball first and baseball 2nd .. if Dan started talking NHL and it was not da Bruins he would switch channels immediately .. but NESN has Bruins talk shows and they do great .. bottom line hockey is a very local experience in most US hockey markets .. and in other markets it is virtually unknown .. very few places in US where you can talk hockey .. like maybe Minny and Plymouth where I have experienced it but very small markets where people universally love hockey

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That is a regional pronnounciation thing. In Canada, at least in my travels, we do not say 'mobil'. I've never heard it.

Similar to New Orleans... I've never heard any one from Canada say New Or-lins.

Do agree tho, it sounds stupid lol

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

My favourite was when he referred to the Ohio State Buckeyes football team as “the red team”. Can’t believe they haven’t replaced him yet. Great on the NHL telecasts breaking down the goalies, but terrible as a host.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My favourite was when he referred to the Ohio State Buckeyes football team as “the red team”. Can’t believe they haven’t replaced him yet. Great on the NHL telecasts breaking down the goalies, but terrible as a host.

He’s not getting replaced
His wife is the boss at TSN for Hayes, O’Dog, Duthie and the other guests

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
no ray? well that's the last semblance of a reason to listen to overdrive gone.

Even then it wasn't anything to hang on to to listen to that show. For me at least.

Nice to see him clarify that he'll still be working for TSN doing regional Leaf games and the WJC.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Still a very good show.

Will be missed though.

yeah just my opinion but i felt the show has been going downhill for last few years, between whiney/pouty oneill and Mr voice of reason mclennon Ray was the only segment i enjoyed anymore. I'd listen to just hayes with guests in a heartbeat but the other 2 really get on my nerves now, speaking of remember the brian hayes show back in the day? i loved that

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Listening to this George Rusic guy in the morning on 590 is brutal, do they not realize it's a Toronto radio station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad