Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
TSN is really slipping badly. Their radio programming is also brutal, outside of Overdrive. Apart from Raptors and Leafs games, their evening and weekends seem to be just feeds of American Sports radio or Overdrive/RayDregs podcast reruns. Not to mention their streaming platform which hasn't improved since 2011. What a mess.

Sportsnet is terrible as well? Thier hockey panel is useless and they don't have any decent content. 31 Thoughts is probably the only thing I like but even now Elliott is getting carried away with a lot of feel-good personal stories on it that aren't all that interesting. Picking between the two is like deciding on a cell phone company to go with up here, either way its shit. Hayes is the only thing keeping Overdrive afloat, I have to mute it everytime O brings up golf and lockdowns and just bitches about it with the exact same rant over and over.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Was just listening to Sportsnet 590 and they had Jeremy Roenick on. Two things:

1) seems like the guy has a major persecution complex
2) when asked about the leafs/Habs, he basically said the Leafs don't play any team defense. Sounds like a guy who hasnt been paying any attention for a year or so

#2 is the prime story about the Leafs coming from the States... Anyone who has stated anything about the North or the Leafs claim that no defence is being played, period. And any team that makes it out of the North has no chance to advance. I rarely cheer for any other Canadian team once the Leafs are eliminated, but depending who gets through I may change my tune just to see the looks on the 'experts' faces when their prognosigations do not come through.

The North has some of the most talented offensive teams, so they are going to find ways to score. Yet, if anyone has bothered to watch any of these games, they would see lots of games where things were tight, and teams were able to clamp down when they truly commited to it. I didn't see any defence in the Panthers/Lightning game. The West might be kings of defence... but to disregard an entire division is as click-bate as you can get.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I guess this thread is as good as any to rant on this. A pet peeve of mine is Googling something about the Leafs and always in the top 4 results is some click bait trash article from EditorInLeaf, it makes me sick to even type that name out. Their hot takes for headlines are horrendously bad.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of Seravelli but he's way better then Dreger. It's a loss for TSN. They have now lost Bob the best hockey insider in North America to semi retirment. One of the best announcers in CC, and now a promising insider in Seravelli. If they lose Ferraro to, they are in trouble. I know Overdrive is fine and all but even that has really declined with all 3 hosts playing a part in that. Hayes with his outragious takes. Jeff just acting like a child and Noodles with his "neutral but really anti leaf stance".
Complain about sportsnet all you want and I still prefer TSN, but the past few years they have booted out Kyperios and McLean, both that were long overdue, and got a legend announcer in CC. Need to work on the color guys all though Galley is okay, but they have improved.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
#2 is the prime story about the Leafs coming from the States... Anyone who has stated anything about the North or the Leafs claim that no defence is being played, period. And any team that makes it out of the North has no chance to advance. I rarely cheer for any other Canadian team once the Leafs are eliminated, but depending who gets through I may change my tune just to see the looks on the 'experts' faces when their prognosigations do not come through.

The North has some of the most talented offensive teams, so they are going to find ways to score. Yet, if anyone has bothered to watch any of these games, they would see lots of games where things were tight, and teams were able to clamp down when they truly commited to it. I didn't see any defence in the Panthers/Lightning game. The West might be kings of defence... but to disregard an entire division is as click-bate as you can get.
Yeah the athletic even had an article of anonymous quotes from head staff and players and one player just went on about how the leafs are trash defensively, will never stand a chance etc.

I always get a laugh out of this take. People have been saying the leafs defence is trash for years (which is has for the most part) yet with this trash defence they still went the distance every season except the caps, and twice against cup contenders the Bruins. But the leafs still have 0 chance to do anything because of their defence apparently. It's just turned into a lazy regurgitated narrative.

It was actually nice hearing Chris Johnson praise the leafs defence on Steve dangles podcast.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Really wish the athletic would step it up in the podcast/online streaming department.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yeah the athletic even had an article of anonymous quotes from head staff and players and one player just went on about how the leafs are trash defensively, will never stand a chance etc.

I always get a laugh out of this take. People have been saying the leafs defence is trash for years (which is has for the most part) yet with this trash defence they still went the distance every season except the caps, and twice against cup contenders the Bruins. But the leafs still have 0 chance to do anything because of their defence apparently. It's just turned into a lazy regurgitated narrative.

It was actually nice hearing Chris Johnson praise the leafs defence on Steve dangles podcast.

Yes, I remember that piece. The unnamed NHL players and execs was eye rolling to say the least. Again, good low brow click-bait garbage.

I was not aware Chris was on the podcast? Was that the most recent one? I'll dig it up either way. Chris has been the one Canadian NHL media personality who has actually thrown some praise at the Leafs at various points this season (other than former payers etc.). He always has the caveat, "I know some won't like to hear this, but...". Ha ha.

Reactions: Peasy

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yes, I remember that piece. The unnamed NHL players and execs was eye rolling to say the least. Again, good low brow click-bait garbage.

I was not aware Chris was on the podcast? Was that the most recent one? I'll dig it up either way. Chris has been the one Canadian NHL media personality who has actually thrown some praise at the Leafs at various points this season (other than former payers etc.). He always has the caveat, "I know some won't like to hear this, but...". Ha ha.
Yeah it's the most recent one.

Reactions: wingman75

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I want to acknowledge how good a guy Ron Mclean is. Yes, he's been a bit annoying in the last few years with some of his HNIC stuff, but I found out he did something great today. My brother's friend is fighting cancer and McLean sent my brother's friend a 3 minute talk, directed at him and his family, encouraging him and helping him out with kind words. Ron even put together a little video featuring ex-NHLers (including Sens...the guy's favourite team) who have overcome cancer. All this for free. He is a good man.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I have had it with the Jiffy commercials. First it was MyPillow now Jiffy. Christ, its like every three minutes Hayes needs something fixed.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I want to acknowledge how good a guy Ron Mclean is. Yes, he's been a bit annoying in the last few years with some of his HNIC stuff, but I found out he did something great today. My brother's friend is fighting cancer and McLean sent my brother's friend a 3 minute talk, directed at him and his family, encouraging him and helping him out with kind words. Ron even put together a little video featuring ex-NHLers (including Sens...the guy's favourite team) who have overcome cancer. All this for free. He is a good man.
Weird day yesterday, maybe 20 minutes after my brother told me this story, I was outside supervising my cat, as he strolled around the yard (don't ask). At that point, Jennifer Botterill jogs by! (she lives in my area and our kids go to the same school). She turned onto a dead end street, so I knew she'd be returning. I quickly texted my brother and said that I was going to talk to her about MacLean's nice gesture. So I yelled "hey Jennifer!" and she stopped and said "hi" in a way that she was indicating that she was open to conversation. She may have recognized me too cause I've stood near her waiting for our kids to be dismissed when school was open. I quickly mentioned that our kids go to the same school so I didn't look like too much of a random freak. We talked a bit about Tavares, HNIC, and the school. Unfortunately, I got hit with some sort of intense nerves that I haven't had since grade 13. Like when trying to talk to a hot girl at a high school party. LOL It brought back bad memories. So I did not bring up McLean, as I was just trying my best to stay calm and not act like George Costanza talking to George Wendt. When she left, my cat was gone! He pulled a houdini and vanished. I found him 20 minutes later. LOL When I walked inside, I noticed I had massive armpit sweat circles.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
"oilers are a year behind the leafs rebuild"..noodles earlier today

Yeah it'll be real easy for them to add two top pairing defensemen, a starting goalie (sincerely doubt Smith can have this type of season again), find a couple first line wingers, and fill out lines 2 through 4 with useful depth. All in one off-season to boot.

Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
What are people's thoughts on Down Goes Brown?

Personally, I really hate the guy. His whole career is dependent on the leafs failing and now openly roots against the team.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Guaranteed it will be flipped around as a shot at the Leafs. Something like "let's not plan the parade here". :laugh:
LOL for sure. O'Dog has been "talking back" to him lately though when he gets into his "I'm not a fan of any team" speeches yet always defends the Oilers. Noodles always looks rattled at those moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad