Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One wonders if the producers at the The Fan and TSN have ever listened to sports talk radio in the States. It’s night and day. None of this Al’s brother crap. Talk real sports with real insight and have real guests. We get Noodles and ODog.
They spend an entire segment talking about the run, and then were talking about it again and I'm like "you guys already talked about it, move on".

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Compare a show like the Dan Patrick Show and you won’t even come close to finding a comparable. Maybe Tim & Friends? Maybe. It’s really a sad state of affairs because the audience in Toronto are die hard basketball fans, NFL fans and NHL fans. Throw in BlueJays and MLB. But “Joe from the Bridge” gets more mentions than last nights NBA action.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Compare a show like the Dan Patrick Show and you won’t even come close to finding a comparable. Maybe Tim & Friends? Maybe. It’s really a sad state of affairs because the audience in Toronto are die hard basketball fans, NFL fans and NHL fans. Throw in BlueJays and MLB. But “Joe from the Bridge” gets more mentions than last nights NBA action.

You won't find good basketball talk on Toronto Sports radio. The true love and knowledge for the game just doesn't exists on the airwaves right now. Best bet for good basketball talk up here with a focus on the Raptors would be a podcast based here, not that I know of one since I just haven't looked. Besides that, our sports media treats basketball only a bit better than our American counterparts treat hockey down there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sports Radio sucks. You can find several podcasts for any type of sport that are 100x anything on sports radio, especially in Canada.

It's always funny when the talking heads try to say sports radio and sports columns are dying because of the "times", when in actuality, it's because they've failed to keep with what the consumer wants.

Keeping hacks like Steve Simmons, Dave Feschuk and others as the leads in different sports columns.....
Using family guy type humor on a sports radio show....

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Gotta imagine he's aiming for ESPN or TNT.

Could probably be the lead NHL insider for one of those networks.
Probably TNT, I’m fairly sure LeBrun will be ESPN’s main guy. Regardless it’s a smart move for Frank, he’s one of the few American talking heads in hockey who’s not a complete bozo.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
One wonders if the producers at the The Fan and TSN have ever listened to sports talk radio in the States. It’s night and day. None of this Al’s brother crap. Talk real sports with real insight and have real guests. We get Noodles and ODog.

This is where Bob McCown (the engaged one) is sorely missed. He would actually delve into real topics we no longer ever hear about anymore. I really don't care to hear entire drive home shows dissecting the game from almost 24 hours prior. Maybe my teenage self 25 years ago before the Internet was really a thing and there really were no mediums to discuss or hear about the games. But I can come here to talk about whether Thornton should have remained on the 1st line.

Sports radio absolutely sucks these days. I suppose one good thing about being forced to work from home this whole time is that the temptation to listen to sports radio is non-existent.

Reactions: the squared circle

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is where Bob McCown (the engaged one) is sorely missed. He would actually delve into real topics we no longer ever hear about anymore. I really don't care to hear entire drive home shows dissecting the game from almost 24 hours prior. Maybe my teenage self 25 years ago before the Internet was really a thing and there really were no mediums to discuss or hear about the games. But I can come here to talk about whether Thornton should have remained on the 1st line.

Sports radio absolutely sucks these days. I suppose one good thing about being forced to work from home this whole time is that the temptation to listen to sports radio is non-existent.
Da kids today don't care about McCown analysis .. or even really detailed hockey discussions .. these guys provide exactly what most of these kids like which is a joke around LOL who cares we don't attitude .. even my boys don't like to talk hockey and they still play for pay .. it is practice, workout, eat and then hit video games .. sleep sh*t shave and do it again

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
To further that Seravelli announcement, putting aside my quip about his age -- to say your last day is today and then follow it up by "My decision" completely screams you were pushed out. Unless his other gig requested him to leave ASAP, no one leaves 'effective immediately' in good standing.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Da kids today don't care about McCown analysis .. or even really detailed hockey discussions .. these guys provide exactly what most of these kids like which is a joke around LOL who cares we don't attitude .. even my boys don't like to talk hockey and they still play for pay .. it is practice, workout, eat and then hit video games .. sleep sh*t shave and do it again

Sadly, this is very true. Between the "bro" talk, kids these days have the attention span of a squirrel. Hard-hitting topics/analysis is easily tuned out and shunned.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To further that Seravelli announcement, putting aside my quip about his age -- to say your last day is today and then follow it up by "My decision" completely screams you were pushed out. Unless his other gig requested him to leave ASAP, no one leaves 'effective immediately' in good standing.

I doubt he is giving his employer notice via Twitter.

I imagine TSN knew weeks ago, perhaps months.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You won't find good basketball talk on Toronto Sports radio. The true love and knowledge for the game just doesn't exists on the airwaves right now. Best bet for good basketball talk up here with a focus on the Raptors would be a podcast based here, not that I know of one since I just haven't looked. Besides that, our sports media treats basketball only a bit better than our American counterparts treat hockey down there.

Not much quality Raptors content out there to be found. William Lou from Yahoo Sports Canada is the only one I've found that's really worth listening to. It's still more of a fans perspective, than real NBA analysis, though.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

When you move to a competitor, it's pretty common to get walked directly out the door.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I doubt he is giving his employer notice via Twitter.

I imagine TSN knew weeks ago, perhaps months.

Very true. Fair point.

I just can't get out of my head a lot of talent at both Rogers and Bell that have been let go that was cited as "retirement" or "their decision" or "to pursue other opportunities" effectively immediately when those were code words for laid off and packaged out.

But yes, Seravelli is young and talented enough that he probably has something bigger and more financially rewarding lined up. As suggested, likely with one of the two new NHL broadcast partners starting next season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Very true. Fair point.

I just can't get out of my head a lot of talent at both Rogers and Bell that have been let go that was cited as "retirement" or "their decision" or "to pursue other opportunities" effectively immediately when those were code words for laid off and packaged out.

But yes, Seravelli is young and talented enough that he probably has something bigger and more financially rewarding lined up. As suggested, likely with one of the two new NHL broadcast partners starting next season.

Like you said, the likely scenario is Seravelli has something lined up already that hasn't been announced yet.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
TSN is really slipping badly. Their radio programming is also brutal, outside of Overdrive. Apart from Raptors and Leafs games, their evening and weekends seem to be just feeds of American Sports radio or Overdrive/RayDregs podcast reruns. Not to mention their streaming platform which hasn't improved since 2011. What a mess.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad