Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
God listening to Jeff talk about the Wilson stuff... You can see why this league is still stuck in the 70s.

Dude had a bigger issue with Panarin "climbing on Wilson's back like a zoo animal" rather than Wilson's actions.
Odog is an absolute moron. " If you're going to act like a tough guy," what the hell are you talking about? Panarin did what anyone would be expected to do in that situation when their teammate is one the ground with two capitals players and one is punching them on the ground. If Panarin would've just stood there and watched what would Odog have been saying about panarin? All panarin did was try to pull Wilson off of panarins teammate and apparently that justifies wilson grabbing panarins hair and slamming him to the ice and then throwing punches at panarin on the ground and grabbing him again and ragdolling him some more.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Travail of Stormin’ Norm

21-norm-NR.jpg

TORONTO (Mar. 1) — Norm Rumack remembers the unmistakable feeling of doom.

It was June 23, 2009. Early morning on a Tuesday. The night before, while en route to a promotional appearance near Toronto Pearson Airport, he’d gotten an email from Nelson Millman, program director of The FAN–590. “Come see me in my office tomorrow at 9 a.m.,” it read. One sentence. Short… and not–so sweet.

“My heart was in my throat,” Rumack recalled on the phone today. “I remember thinking ‘what? 9 a.m.?’ I’d met with Nelson numerous times. But, not at that hour. So, I figured something was up. I had a bad feeling.”

Norm’s premonition was accurate. “It happened quickly. Nelson said ‘we’re gonna make some changes. I’ve got to let you go. I’m sorry. Here’s a severance package. Look it over; sign it and send it back.’ We shook hands… and that was it. Seventeen years in sports radio down the drain. Took less than 30 seconds.”

Rumack, at that moment, became the first of innumerable big names to be sacked by Rogers Communications and Bell Canada — owners of Sportsnet and TSN properties. The purge continues, unabated. It has included the likes of Don Landry, Mike Hogan, Jim Lang, Glenn Healy, Daren Millard, Barry Davis, Paul Romanuk, Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, John Shannon, Don Cherry, Bob McCown, George Stroumboulopoulos, Mike Wilner, Barb DiGiulio, Ian Mendes, Natasha Staniszewski, Brent Wallace… and TSN all–sports stations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton. Throw yours truly in there, if you wish. But it was poor Norm — the Late Night Vampire; Mr. Hammerhead Alert — who got the ball rolling.

Nearly 12 years later, Rumack is on the cusp of his 66th birthday. Healthy. Generally happy. But, with no financial security. He’s employed as a swing–shift Concierge at an upscale condominium near Spadina and St. Clair Ave. For $16.60 an hour. Enough to pay rent and put food on the table of his bachelor apartment. Nothing more. “I’ll be working until the day I die,” Norm said. “I’m carrying a debt–load that I’ll never be able to eliminate. I’ve pored through all of my retirement savings (roughly $60,000) just to survive. When I got let go at The FAN, I was making $52,000 a year, plus $6 or $7,000 more in promo fees. I was fairly comfortable."

“But, I’m not comfortable today. Not even close.”

Holy **** thats shocking.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I don't mind Carlo. He just needs an honest manager to tell him to "stop with the whiney high voice" and "stop with dumb catchphrases". If he toned those down a bit, he would be okay. I also cut him some slack because he's probably going through incredible daily stress, with his kid. He's doing well handling that.

Or the constant fake laugh.

Coli is trying way too hard to be ONeill, never realizing people are only interested in O when they're laughing at him. Unless hes willing to take over Os spot as TSNs local clown.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Or the constant fake laugh.

Coli is trying way too hard to be ONeill, never realizing people are only interested in O when they're laughing at him. Unless hes willing to take over Os spot as TSNs local clown.

God I can’t stand his fake laugh. Someone will say something that’s so mildly humorous and Carlo starts guffawing like a chuckle-f***.

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
It would be nice if Sportsnet and TSN fired their entire staffs and just kept the camera crews and commentator and color commentator.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Haven't seen this posted yet. If Ray does move on good for him but I'll be very sad to see him go and not call Leafs games on TSN anymore. But if Mike Johnson stays maybe he'll be upgraded to do our games so we'd still have a great colour guy.

Reactions: stickty111

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
$52k a year in 2009? That's way less than I would've assumed any TV/radio personality would be making. No wonder Norm had very little saved up. :(

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018

Cherry talks why leafs won’t go far in playoffs and
Called Campbell cocky.
This guys lost his marbles.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It probably whips your waffle to post on a sports board that someone disagrees with a terrible take from an 87 year old who said Josh Ho-Sang was more talented the Connor McDavid
No i just feel sad for people losing their mind from old age. It kind of just stabs me in the heart kind of deal. That’s all

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
In the latest Odog is a moron news, claims eichel is just a guy who " skates fast and can shoot the puck." Eichels been on pace for 88 and 94 points last two seasons without much help, he can clearly do a lot more than just skate and shoot and odog has 15 centers ranked above him.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
In the latest Odog is a moron news, claims eichel is just a guy who " skates fast and can shoot the puck." Eichels been on pace for 88 and 94 points last two seasons without much help, he can clearly do a lot more than just skate and shoot and odog has 15 centers ranked above him.

Well the segment was literally who would you take for a game tomorrow with no cap or age considerations.

Eichel ranks 25 in PPG for centers. Not very outrageous all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad