Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v6 (2021 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I had a feeling Noodles would be bitter after seeing the Oilers shut out twice. Just seconds into the show he looked uncomfortable lol. he started out saying he could have been in net for the Leafs while crediting their defence. if you look closely you can see Hayes shake his a head a bit after Noodles starts talking.
Check out the two saves on Kahun alone in the first minute or so of the first 2 periods. 2-0 Oilers with NoodleSieve in net.

Reactions: Roadhog and Stigma

Steve776

Feb 8, 2021
What does "learning to code" mean?
Looking for a new line of work. The phrase was created after journalists wrote pieces about how laid off coal miners should just learn to code computer programs instead. Then a year or two later those news outlets were laying off journalists and people told them that they should learn to code. This led to outrage from other journalists who said that telling journalists to learn to code after they've been laid off is disrespectful and unhelpful, to which everybody else replied; "exactly, bub."

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Imagine seeking out a rather noted Leaf fans content and then being upset when it isn't to your liking. I am convinced that people who hate the Leafs consume more Leaf content then I could ever imagine doing.
There's so many posters on this site that have weird hate obsessions with the leafs. Going through their post history is just embarrassing.

Reactions: CocoaDrink

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
The Travail of Stormin’ Norm

21-norm-NR.jpg

TORONTO (Mar. 1) — Norm Rumack remembers the unmistakable feeling of doom.

It was June 23, 2009. Early morning on a Tuesday. The night before, while en route to a promotional appearance near Toronto Pearson Airport, he’d gotten an email from Nelson Millman, program director of The FAN–590. “Come see me in my office tomorrow at 9 a.m.,” it read. One sentence. Short… and not–so sweet.

“My heart was in my throat,” Rumack recalled on the phone today. “I remember thinking ‘what? 9 a.m.?’ I’d met with Nelson numerous times. But, not at that hour. So, I figured something was up. I had a bad feeling.”

Norm’s premonition was accurate. “It happened quickly. Nelson said ‘we’re gonna make some changes. I’ve got to let you go. I’m sorry. Here’s a severance package. Look it over; sign it and send it back.’ We shook hands… and that was it. Seventeen years in sports radio down the drain. Took less than 30 seconds.”

Rumack, at that moment, became the first of innumerable big names to be sacked by Rogers Communications and Bell Canada — owners of Sportsnet and TSN properties. The purge continues, unabated. It has included the likes of Don Landry, Mike Hogan, Jim Lang, Glenn Healy, Daren Millard, Barry Davis, Paul Romanuk, Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, John Shannon, Don Cherry, Bob McCown, George Stroumboulopoulos, Mike Wilner, Barb DiGiulio, Ian Mendes, Natasha Staniszewski, Brent Wallace… and TSN all–sports stations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton. Throw yours truly in there, if you wish. But it was poor Norm — the Late Night Vampire; Mr. Hammerhead Alert — who got the ball rolling.

Nearly 12 years later, Rumack is on the cusp of his 66th birthday. Healthy. Generally happy. But, with no financial security. He’s employed as a swing–shift Concierge at an upscale condominium near Spadina and St. Clair Ave. For $16.60 an hour. Enough to pay rent and put food on the table of his bachelor apartment. Nothing more. “I’ll be working until the day I die,” Norm said. “I’m carrying a debt–load that I’ll never be able to eliminate. I’ve pored through all of my retirement savings (roughly $60,000) just to survive. When I got let go at The FAN, I was making $52,000 a year, plus $6 or $7,000 more in promo fees. I was fairly comfortable."

“But, I’m not comfortable today. Not even close.”

Not sure how I feel seeing Berger start a gofundme account for Stormin Normon.

Reactions: Roadhog

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The transition from Noodles to Carlo has officially started imo.

Noodles will be removed to focus more on tv, Id call it by next season start.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The Argos actually destroy TFC in GTA TV ratings, while attendance is the reverse. Strange phenomenon.

Age difference is what I’d bet. TFC’s fan base definitely skews younger and most young people don’t have cable and have cut the cord. Argos fan base is older and those are the people who mostly still get cable.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
The transition from Noodles to Carlo has officially started imo.

Noodles will be removed to focus more on tv, Id call it by next season start.
Someone needs to give some push back to the leaf love fest, there needs to be a devils advocate which noodles is more then willing to do. Carlo just laughs when he’s on and is just as much a leaf lover as Hayes and O. I don’t see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad