Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’ve never heard anyone say he’s a bust, just that he’s not ready yet.
He’s been questioned as to his development by tsn Hayes. The guy tries to be all shock jock and it doesn’t work for him.! Better to shut up sometimes. We can think he is a idiot and then he opens his mouth and proves it :). He’s not that bad actually

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was completely disgusted with Pierre McGuire and Craig Button yesterday saying how the Leafs signing John Tavares turned out to be a bad idea and using the flat cap as a reason, even though Kyle Dubas had no idea on July 1, 2018 that a global pandemic would be the reason for that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Andy gets my trust back for taking shots at Simmons.
Even before Dubas traded Kapanen it was said that the Leafs needed to trade some players because of the salary cap.

When Dubas does exactly that we see a garbage tweet like that from Steve Simmons, even though he also signed TJ Brodie, Wayne Simmonds and the Zach Bogosian signing had not yet been announced.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What else could Dubas do? Double down on having only small skilled players when it's been proven over and over again that it doesn't work in the playoffs?

Of course he's trying to adapt.

I like Kristen. Seems she has a keen eye for the frustration we face, but also the optimism that this roster/coaching/management deserve.
It's a lot better then a lot of the crap Steve Simmons has said or hearing Pierre McGuire and Craig Button say the John Tavares signing was a mistake due to the flat cap, without realizing that's because of a global pandemic.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It's a lot better then a lot of the crap Steve Simmons has said or hearing Pierre McGuire and Craig Button say the John Tavares signing was a mistake due to the flat cap, without realizing that's because of a global pandemic.
If that's what they really think, I prefer that over Jeff Marek's verbal fluff pieces whenever they talk about Toronto on Hockey Central at Noon.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If that's what they really think, I prefer that over Jeff Marek's verbal fluff pieces whenever they talk about Toronto on Hockey Central at Noon.
It's one thing to say a comment like that and ignore that the salary cap is flat because of a global pandemic, which is something Kyle Dubas did not see happening when he signed Tavares on July 1, 2018.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We are going to regret losing Johnsson and Kapanen.

They are both solid middle six NHL wingers, but they also have skillsets that are redundant on our roster. Aside from the cap savings and the assets we got in return, this is about changing the complexion of our team without subtracting from the core.

Last edited:
Reactions: colchar

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
It's one thing to say a comment like that and ignore that the salary cap is flat because of a global pandemic, which is something Kyle Dubas did not see happening when he signed Tavares on July 1, 2018.
I agree. Dubas was most likely banking on that the salary cap was going up and can't be at fault for that reason. There's probably other things that could've been done better with that contract though, but it is what it is for the Maple Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree. Dubas was most likely banking on that the salary cap was going up and can't be at fault for that reason. There's probably other things that could've been done better with that contract though, but it is what it is for the Maple Leafs.
They also said how Toronto hasn't had any playoff success with Tavares and my thought after hearing that was this. If after next season the Rangers either miss the playoffs or are eliminated in first 1st round, will they say the Artemi Panarain signing was a mistake. He actually makes $11.5 million AAV which is a little more then then $11 million Tavares got. Plus we already saw the Rangers get swept by Carolina in the qualifying round with Panarain playing for them.

Bryan Hayes also said part of the reason for the Leafs lack of success in the playoffs was not because of Tavares, it was Frederik Andersen giving up a bad goal at the wrong time and it's a something he's done a lot of in his career.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Bryan Hayes also said part of the reason for the Leafs lack of success in the playoffs was not because of Tavares, it was Frederik Andersen giving up a bad goal at the wrong time and it's a something he's done a lot of in his career.
Yeah I don't think it's because of Tavares at all. I would buy in to the Andersen theory a lot more. The guy has an awful record when it comes to games 7.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I don't think it's because of Tavares at all. I would buy in to the Andersen theory a lot more. The guy has an awful record when it comes to games 7.
Including Game 5 against Columbus since it was winner take all, Andersen is 0-8 in Game 7 and it goes back to his time with the Ducks. Plus in 2015 and 2016 with the Ducks he lost Games 6 and 7 when they were up 3-2 with a chance to win those series in six games and did that again in 2019 with Toronto when they played Boston.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Noodles is so cringe. Referred to the Leafs as "RSH" (Regular Season Heroes)

He felt clever with that one.

noodles turned me right off overdrive. He thinks he is mr neutral but really is is just anti leaf. Simple as that, the guys will be talking about a leaf player playing well (on Toronto radio I might add) and he is instantly there with this exact sentence every time

“hang on what about number <insert player number> on <insert team> he’s a hell of a player

usually a player not even relevant to the conversation too

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
noodles turned me right off overdrive. He thinks he is mr neutral but really is is just anti leaf. Simple as that, the guys will be talking about a leaf player playing well (on Toronto radio I might add) and he is instantly there with this exact sentence every time

“hang on what about number <insert player number> on <insert team> he’s a hell of a player

usually a player not even relevant to the conversation too
I still remember when he said how Toronto just made the playoffs in 2017 and ignored that same Boston had the same amount of points they did in the standings with 95 each. He also left out or forgot that Boston finished ahead in the standings because they had more ROW wins, even though Toronto won the regular season series 4-0.

Reactions: Walshy7

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Noodles is a big fan of Cal-GARY.
I want to strike him every time he says that. We get it, that was the proper way to pronounce it in 1950. Times have changed.

Also, the way Hayes says "Los Ve-ges" can be irritating. LOL The vast majority of us say "Vay-gus". Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad