Confirmed with Link: Toronto Marlies Sign F Justin Brazeau to 2 year, AHL deal

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gauthier never skated like this guy. If Brazeau could skate like the 2019 Freddie Gauthier, he'd be 2nd line material with his hands.
And likely drafted too, even it was only in the 7th round.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Duszak and Brazeau isn't a half bad Ufa prospect haul. I wonder if we are in on a couple others.... Anyone from Europe?
A little bit on the older side, however, getting Putin out of Russia would be great for Europe as a whole. ;)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
To be fair, the Goat started off looking like Bambi, he put in a lot of work. Hopefully this kid is willing to do some hard work too :)
his hands are gold, if he can move his feet a little faster, improve his edge's and lose the upright stance he might end up being a a 3rd line RW net front kind of guy

Reactions: teddygmr

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
his hands are gold, if he can move his feet a little faster, improve his edge's and lose the upright stance he might end up being a a 3rd line RW net front kind of guy

Does he have a mean bone in his body? I just Youtube'd a bunch of stuff on him but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story and I didn't think he'd sign here.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Back in January, Brock Otten had Brazeau ranked #1 in OHL overages worth signing ... Over Felhaber...

TBH, I still think he is. Besides the obvious difference in size, Brazeau beat Felhaber in goals and points despite playing on North Bay (which only had 2 other guys over 65 points, both of which just barely scraped above 30 goals each, and the next best guy being a typical 40 point, puck-moving D+2). North Bay are also known for being a more defensive minded team. Brazeau was that offense; he drove pretty much everything and if he was not having a good game, they usually did not win.

Ottawa, as one of the top teams in the league, had 4 other players over 60 points, and a bunch of other guys with a crap ton of points. Felhaber was not really anything special before this year (although neither was Ottawa), whereas last year, Brazeau was still first on his team in goals (his 39 goals were 11 more than number 2, and 22 more than number 3) and points (only 4 more than number 2, but 33 more than number 3).

Brazeau has eclipsed a lot of what Felhaber has done while being the primary driver for his team the past two years all the while having practically no support.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
People seriously overrate the impact of skating instruction. A skating coach spends at most a day or two evaluating then demonstrating a laundry list of drills to practice. Then it's up to the player to spend the next several months performing those drills religiously whenever the player gets on the ice. Then it's the same thing with the strength and conditioning people: evaluate and give the list of work to do then it's up to the player.
I guess it depends on the instructions the instructor offers. Boyle, another larger player like Brazeau, saw rapid improvements to his skating. This is a project but those numbers can't be faked. Would be an interesting injection of size to the Marlies alongside Engvall, Marchment, Rasanen... Better than drafting fridges.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I like it

Sounds like his skating is pretty average, so I imagine he's going to be seeing a fair bit of Underhill over the next few months

The kids got some skills by the looks of it, so let's see if we can fix/develop the rest and get something useful out of him

Didn't even use a contract spot, nice

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Awesome. Wicked shot but needs to work on skating with Barb. Hopefully he can follow a trajectory like Marchment and maybe turn into an asset in a year or two.

Why do people keep bringing up Marchment? He's no good, and his numbers are not comparable.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good to be able to make signings while being a competitive team. If he eventually becomes an NHLer, hopefully it's as a Maple Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad