Confirmed with Link: Toronto Marlies Sign F Justin Brazeau to 2 year, AHL deal

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
If they wanted to get him in a game would he need an ATO? Or is the first year of the contract this current season?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If they wanted to get him in a game would he need an ATO? Or is the first year of the contract this current season?

I am assuming this is the first year of the deal, so technically he's signed a one year deal. IIRC, players on ATO aren't signed.

Reactions: dangomon

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Awesome. Wicked shot but needs to work on skating with Barb. Hopefully he can follow a trajectory like Marchment and maybe turn into an asset in a year or two.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Never hurts to add to the prospect pool for nothing. Nice to have a few guys with size in the AHL. Hopefully one of them turns into something useful for the Leafs eventually.

Also didn't realize how well he had been playing on the battalion... that's pretty impressive. As some have said... his skating isn't a strong point... hopefully they can improve on that.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
After arguing against signing this guy to an ELC, this is a perfect way to give the player a chance. His skating clearly needs some serious work. BTW, effectively isn't all that different from an ELC in terms of signing bonus and AHL salary.

I'd hope that he's on the ice every day of the summer relentlessly doing those boring skating drills.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hopefully Barb makes his skating viable, after that if he can be a net front presence and just finish checks, he might carve out a bottom 6 role.

That being said, I don't expect anything to come of it but I am sure the same can be said for any "free wallet" that panned out.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This is a big get on an AHL deal.

Should start immediately.

Awesome that he chose us, because if a team eventually offers him an NHL deal, gotta think he’d give us a chance to also offer him one

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an NHL deal on the table (not going to pretend to know whether there was or wasn't). 130K now could be better than some ELC offer, and he could be thinking he can develop better with the Marlies and get a more lucrative ELC on his next contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an NHL deal on the table (not going to pretend to know whether there was or wasn't). 130K now could be better than some ELC offer, and he could be thinking he can develop better with the Marlies and get a more lucrative ELC on his next contract.

Being close to home might have had some appeal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well considering I would have given him an ELC, getting him on an AHL deal is amazing. He's going to be in the AHL next year for sure. Probably part of the promise, but that saves us a contract on a guy that I otherwise thought would have cost us a contract.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Even with being an overager with huge size 61 goals is impressive.

I suppose if all 61 goals were pushing over little 16yr old dmen it’s not that impressive but still

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad