Confirmed with Link: Toronto Marlies Sign F Justin Brazeau to 2 year, AHL deal

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If any team offers Brazeau an NHL contract, the Leafs must release him from their AHL contract, AND the leafs have the choice to match the ELC offer.

Nothing ng to worry about in regards to teams pawning him off of us.
I do not believe we get the chance to match. He is a free agent not an RFA. He would himself have to give us the chance to match.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I do not believe we get the chance to match. He is a free agent not an RFA. He would himself have to give us the chance to match.

You're wrong then. Im pretty sure this was recently said on TSN.

He is not a free agent... He is currently under contract with a professional hockey team...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You're wrong then. Im pretty sure this was recently said on TSN.

He is not a free agent... He is currently under contract with a professional hockey team...
Like I said. I believe that he is considered a Free agent. If his contract was with a team in Europe and he did not have an out clause no one could sign him to any team. The AHL and the NHL have an agreement that any AHL contracted player can sign a contract with another NHL team at any point. I said I believe that the team does not get the chance to match. I am not sure about this however, It just seems to me that they are simply considered free agents and the only provision I can find for getting a chance to match is under the NHL provisions for a RFA which he is not.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He chose to sign with our AHL team. If someone offered him an ELC down the line, they would almost certainly give us the opportunity to also give him an ELC.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Like I said. I believe that he is considered a Free agent. If his contract was with a team in Europe and he did not have an out clause no one could sign him to any team. The AHL and the NHL have an agreement that any AHL contracted player can sign a contract with another NHL team at any point. I said I believe that the team does not get the chance to match. I am not sure about this however, It just seems to me that they are simply considered free agents and the only provision I can find for getting a chance to match is under the NHL provisions for a RFA which he is not.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to trust Dreger's opinion over yours...

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Nope. The AHL team has to let him out of his AHL deal first. Can't just poach other teams' AHL deals without their permission.

That being said, most of the time when a guy on an AHL deal is getting signed, it's by the NHL-affiliate, so obviously they'll terminate the AHL deal. Otherwise, unless the Leafs feel like this guy is nothing, they'll keep him on his AHL deal or sign him to an ELC. Leafs have nothing to worry about in terms of losing him, unless they want him gone.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
at 6-6' can he stand in front and tip in shots or fire away from the low slot? Like Andreychuck or Kerr

Just looked it up...
Andreychuk is listed at 6'4
Kerr at 6'3

I don't remember Kerr as well, but I could have sworn Dave was a lot taller then that.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Just looked it up...
Kerr at 6'3

I don't remember Kerr as well, but I could have sworn Dave was a lot taller then that.
Well.I was alluding to the 'not so great a skater' comment,but if he has hands to go with that size,then skatin' isn't so important. Dave took a lot of punishment,but a lot of Goalies could draw you a picture of his arse from memory,because that's all they could see.guys like Tim Kerr and Esposito before him,would set up shop in the slot and fire away...they were very successful.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Well.I was alluding to the 'not so great a skater' comment,but if he has hands to go with that size,then skatin' isn't so important. Dave took a lot of punishment,but a lot of Goalies could draw you a picture of his arse from memory,because that's all they could see.guys like Tim Kerr and Esposito before him,would set up shop in the slot and fire away...they were very successful.
Oh ya, I figured that....

It's dangerous to play that style in the NHL for the last decade (I believe) everyone who parked in front of the net, or labeled as "power forwards" have super short careers.... just off the top of my head, Franzen, Lucic, Bertuzzi, Daze.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

It's dangerous to play that style in the NHL for the last decade (I believe) everyone who parked in front of the net, or labeled as "power forwards" have super short careers.... just off the top of my head, Franzen, Lucic, Bertuzzi, Daze.
Leafs have not much net presence these days...maybe he adds that.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just looked it up...
Kerr at 6'3

Kerr was huge. 6'3" might be right but I think he played at over 230 and was a strong 230 at that. A nightmare for anyone but the biggest defensemen to handle. He was still very effective at age 30 but injuries took him out. Not a fighter but in a goon era he couldn't be pushed around.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

JVR?

Scratchy

Nov 14, 2011
He's been 6'6" for what, a year? Three years ago he was under 6'. If he can get his feet under him he can be a steal. A lot of bigger players, people even, don't get their feet coordinated until age 21. Considering he grew 8" since 2016 I'd give him a break. If he pans out, bonus for him. If he's a true steal, bonus for Toronto.

Reactions: teddygmr

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This is great news, sorry I am on here a little late. Free asset that doesn’t count against the 50, size and scoring touch. I suspect Barb will give him a regiment this summer, hopefully he attacks it with all he can and he gets halfway decent.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
at 6-6' can he stand in front and tip in shots or fire away from the low slot? Like Andreychuck or Kerr
Tim Kerr would be an amazing model -- he was signed as an undrafted free-agent at age 20 and had four consecutive 50-goal seasons including 1986-87 when he finished second to Gretzky in goals scored. Yay Tim!

Reactions: teddygmr

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
This is great news, sorry I am on here a little late. Free asset that doesn’t count against the 50, size and scoring touch. I suspect Barb will give him a regiment this summer, hopefully he attacks it with all he can and he gets halfway decent.
Yup. Professional work is needed.

Drafted to the OHL at 5'10, 140 lbs, and he started his OHL draft year at 5'5.

His coach said because he grew up in such a small town (New Liskeard) he didnt get the specialty coaching the same way as a kid from the GTA would, meaning he has a ton of room for coaching and growth.

I'm pretty pumped that we got him. With proper coaching and teaching he has a good amount of room to grow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->