Sportsnet: Toronto interested in Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyDome

May 17, 2013
Pickering, ON
I think Nonis and Leiweke seriously want to build this team from the back end out. Seemed to work well for LA.

I'd be happy to get Bernier but it's the COST that will have to be reasonable. However hearing these rumours that Toronto has the highest offer by far scares me a lot. I hope it has nothing to do with Gardiner and our 1st.

Something around Matt Frattin would have to be the starting point and then maybe a prospect and/or pick. Maybe Frattin+Scrivens+3rd? Any more than that and I'd be pretty upset.

I'm calling it now, Leafs acquire Bernier and then pick Fucale or another goalie in the draft. They want to solidify that position.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the National Hockey League 2006 Entry Draft Media Guide:

http://cdn.nhl.com/panthers/bc/images/PDF/draftguide.pdf

JONATHAN BERNIER

Lewiston • QMJHL

5’ 11”, 177 lbs. Goaltender, catches left

Born: August 7 1988 in Laval, Quebec

Final Ranking: 1 • Mid-Term Ranking: 1 • North American Goaltender

Central Scouting Report: Is a very strong skater with excellent balance... has both quick reactions and recovery ... has very quick feet and pads with excellent, controlled lateral movements ... very good post-to-post ... does a good job of blocking a pass from behind the net ... very good angles and net coverage ... challenges at the top of the crease and square to the shooter ... good rebound control deflecting shots out of danger with his stick and blocker ... uses paddle down technique on wrap around attempts ... goes behind the net well to stop the puck on dump ins and is smart at moving it ... communicates well with his defense ... does a very good job of reading and reacting to the play ... had 11 goals scored against on 27 shootout attempts this season ... has an excellent well balanced butterfly stance ... shows excellent determination ... very solid and strong in his crease ... battles hard for any loose pucks and holds his ground when players cut hard to the net ...very quick recovery to get set for a rebound opportunity ...very aggressive and competes hard ...very confident and doesn’t get rattled ... capable of making big saves to keep his team in the game or to hold a lead ... member of Team Canada for the 2005 Under-18 Junior World Cup and a member of Team Quebec for the 2004 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge ... Lewiston’s 1st pick, 8th overall, in the 2004 QMJHL Draft ... selected to the 2006 CHL Top Prospects Game in Ottawa and was a member of Team Canada for the 2006 Under-18 World Championships.

Personal Profile: Nickname is Bern because it is shorter than Bernier... favorite NHL team is Vancouver, however he does not have a favorite player ... wears jersey number 1 because he started wearing it and never changed ... thanks his brother (Marc Andre – Vancouver’s 2nd pick, 60th overall in 2003 NHL Draft) for having had the most influence on his career because he also played hockey so he is someone to talk about the game with ... outside of sports, he also most admires his brother because “he is the only guy that I see working, and he is working really hard” ... most memorable hockey game played was playing his first game against his brother in the QMJHL ... most memorable hockey game watched was Montreal vs. Boston because it was his first live NHL game ... favorites include: MTV (TV show), Jessica Simpson (actress), and 3 Doors Down (band) ... if he could have dinner with any three people they would be Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur and Mario Lemieux because “they know everything about hockey and they have so much experience.”

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I finally figured out why Nonis wants Bernier - it's because of Reimer's rebound & puck handling in the Boston Series..

AND, I finally figured out why Frattin is being proposed in the trade talks - it's because he missed that breakaway when it was 4-2 in Game 7!

Damn, Dave Nonis is taking this loss harder than all of us! :sarcasm:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Listen, this time last year Brian Burke and 95% of the people here said that our glowing concerns were a #1C and #1G. We shouldn't let half a season fool us.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I finally figured out why Nonis wants Bernier - it's because of Reimer's rebound & puck handling in the Boston Series..

AND, I finally figured out why Frattin is being proposed in the trade talks - it's because he missed that breakaway when it was 4-2 in Game 7!

Damn, Dave Nonis is taking this loss harder than all of us! :sarcasm:

Well that Bruins first round stress test certainly showed where the leafs were going to break.

I just watched a rerun of the leafs 2 - 1 victory over Bruins earlier this year on LeafsTV. They almost choked that one right at the end as well.

I don't think you can coach players to be clutch. They have it or they don't.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well that Bruins first round stress test certainly showed where the leafs were going to break.

I just watched a rerun of the leafs 2 - 1 victory over Bruins earlier this year on LeafsTV. They almost choked that one right at the end as well.

Did you watch the last ten where progressively certain players look more gassed and overplayed? Look to RC on that one

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You can get those any time. Bernier or Reimer could get us a first down the line. They could also make us tender stable for years to come.

What Bernier could get them later is as likely to be no different than what he costs them now. They can get a vet goalie for free for and use those saved assets to get a #1 c or a top pairing D partner for DP. Bernier hasn't proven anything except that he looks good behind a strangling LA defense. Anyone would love them to add a young goalie that could consistently outperform Riemer, and if there was a guarantee Bernier would do it, I would be on board. He just a question mark to me, and doesn't address an immediate need. When they had no young goalies in their system it made more sense. I think Kypreos was just pulling it out of his ass when he said TO would be a front runner.

“Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.

“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.â€

Has Nonis ever said anything to contradict the above? The interest is only in Kyper's head.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Reimer has been injury prone. I still think hes our #1, it wouldnt hurt to have a good sturdy backup in behind him to split the 82 games. Hopefully the cap slowly goes up and becomes more manageable again and we can keep both until someone pony's up for one.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For those worried about Bernier's size, here's an idea of comparisons amongst NHL goalies:

Marc-Andre Fleury: 6'2, 180 pounds
Ryan Miller: 6'2, 175 pounds
Henrik Lundqvist: 6'1, 188 pounds
Miikka Kiprusoff: 6'1, 185 pounds
Evgeny Nabokov: 6'0, 202 pounds
Cam Ward: 6'1, 185 pounds
Viktor Fasth: 6'0, 186 pounds
Jonathan Bernier: 6'0, 185 pounds
Anton Khudobin: 5'11, 203 pounds
Niklas Backstrom: 5'11, 194 pounds
Jaroslav Halak: 5'10, 186 pounds
Jhonas Enroth: 5'10, 166 pounds

Some of the best goalies in the league are around the same size.

And for those worried about Reimer's abilities, here's an idea of comparisons amongst NHL goalies:

Marc-Andre Fleury: .916
Ryan Miller: .915
Henrik Lundqvist: .926
Miikka Kiprusoff: .882
Evgeny Nabokov: .910
Cam Ward: .908
Viktor Fasth: .921
James Reimer: .924
Anton Khudobin: .920
Niklas Backstrom: .909
Jaroslav Halak: .899
Jhonas Enroth: .919

Some of the best goalies in the league didn't stop as many pucks this season. (Actually, only one from the OP's list)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Because he has incredible reflexes, great composure, an NHL calibre glove, good rebound control, exceptional puck handling ability, and a winning pedigree. James Reimer has none of that. NONE.

Yup.

All Reimer has is a better save and winning percentage at the NHL level while backstopping a far inferior team.

But stopping pucks and winning games isn't everything in a goalie. If only he had a better winning pedigree. :sarcasm:

Kyle Doobas*

All Reimer has is a better save and winning percentage at the NHL level while backstopping a far inferior team.
We're all aware of that. It really doesn't bear repeating. Nobody is arguing that Reimer doesn't have a better save percentage at the NHL level than Bernier. Nobody is saying that Bernier is necessarily better than Reimer right now, or that he'll ever necessarily be better. The argument is that Bernier has less kinks in his game that need working out and a higher ceiling than Reimer, and that, at the right price, it wouldn't hurt to have a guy like that in the system when our #1 goalie is relatively unproven in terms of playing 60+ games a season at a consistently high level, and has question marks surrounding his glove hand, rebound control, puck-handling, etc.

Nobody is saying he didn't have a good season and doesn't deserve every opportunity to repeat that come October. We're just saying it's ridiculous to act like we have Henrik Lundqvist in net and shouldn't bother spending one second of our time even entertaining the idea of improving at the goaltending position.

Besides, at the end of the day it isn't even really about Reimer vs. Bernier. It's about insurance. It wouldn't hurt at all to have two good goalies with upside.

Last edited by a moderator:

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
We're all aware of that. It really doesn't bear repeating. Nobody is arguing that Reimer doesn't have a better save percentage at the NHL level than Bernier. Nobody is saying that Bernier is necessarily better than Reimer right now, or that he'll ever necessarily be better. The argument is that Bernier has less kinks in his game that need working out and a higher ceiling than Reimer, and that, at the right price, it wouldn't hurt to have a guy like that in the system when our #1 goalie is relatively unproven in terms of playing 60+ games a season at a consistently high level, and has question marks surrounding his glove hand, rebound control, puck-handling, etc.

Nobody is saying he didn't have a good season and doesn't deserve every opportunity to repeat that come October. We're just saying it's ridiculous to act like we have Henrik Lundqvist in net and shouldn't bother spending one second of our time even entertaining the idea of improving at the goaltending position.

Besides, at the end of the day it isn't even really about Reimer vs. Bernier. It's about insurance. It wouldn't hurt at all to have two good goalies with upside.
For sure I'd take Bernier... it's a great idea really imo to have 2 young guys battling it out. Fits this team perfectly. But at the same time I don't see how you can give up much for a guy that has never proven to be more than a backup when you're current goalie is right around the same skill wise and is the same age.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
For sure I'd take Bernier... it's a great idea really imo to have 2 young guys battling it out. Fits this team perfectly. But at the same time I don't see how you can give up much for a guy that has never proven to be more than a backup when you're current goalie is right around the same skill wise and is the same age.

I guess it depends on what "much" means. We all have our opinions of what "much" means.

To me, the appropriate value for Bernier is Frattin + 2nd, and the furthest I would go would be to add a 3rd-rounder or lower-tier prospect (D'Amigo).

It doesn't decimate our top-end forward prospect depth, and we shore up the most important position in hockey.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I guess it depends on what "much" means. We all have our opinions of what "much" means.

To me, the appropriate value for Bernier is Frattin + 2nd, and the furthest I would go would be to add a 3rd-rounder or lower-tier prospect (D'Amigo).

It doesn't decimate our top-end forward prospect depth, and we shore up the most important position in hockey.

I agree as long as it doesn't include our first rounder. This is not the year to trade out of the first round no matter where you pick, this draft is being compared to the Perry and Getzlaf drafts when it comes to the depth of it. Teams are going to be able to get some very good players late.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
And for those worried about Reimer's abilities, here's an idea of comparisons amongst NHL goalies:

Marc-Andre Fleury: .916
Ryan Miller: .915
Henrik Lundqvist: .926
Miikka Kiprusoff: .882
Evgeny Nabokov: .910
Cam Ward: .908
Viktor Fasth: .921
James Reimer: .924
Anton Khudobin: .920
Niklas Backstrom: .909
Jaroslav Halak: .899
Jhonas Enroth: .919

Some of the best goalies in the league didn't stop as many pucks this season. (Actually, only one from the OP's list)
You want to use sv% alone to measure a goalies worth? Try watching some hockey. James Reimer built a .924% stopping easy shots from the point and side boards all year. Anybody who doesn't have blue coloured goggles on and watches him see all kinds of fatal flaws that will keep him from reaching the next level. Honestly Reimer has played above expectations and we wanna count on that and that alone? Yikes.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
What Bernier could get them later is as likely to be no different than what he costs them now. They can get a vet goalie for free for and use those saved assets to get a #1 c or a top pairing D partner for DP. Bernier hasn't proven anything except that he looks good behind a strangling LA defense. Anyone would love them to add a young goalie that could consistently outperform Riemer, and if there was a guarantee Bernier would do it, I would be on board. He just a question mark to me, and doesn't address an immediate need. When they had no young goalies in their system it made more sense. I think Kypreos was just pulling it out of his ass when he said TO would be a front runner.

“Both our goalies are aware of it, it’s not that we don’t think we have NHL-calibre goaltenders, or goalies with the ability to become very good starting goaltenders.

“But if we could add someone to help them along, a veteran that would help them grow, then we would do it.â€

Has Nonis ever said anything to contradict the above? The interest is only in Kyper's head.
Ahh yes, the transparency that is MLSE.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious how Bernier makes our team better? Realistically he will probably not play any better than Reimer did last season. Factor in the assets that you're losing to obtain his services.. How are we ahead in the long run?

We don't need a Jonathan Bernier.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I'm curious how Bernier makes our team better? Realistically he will probably not play any better than Reimer did last season. Factor in the assets that you're losing to obtain his services.. How are we ahead in the long run?

We don't need a Jonathan Bernier.

Pens fans probably said that about Tomas Vokoun when they traded for him.

Having a 1A/1B system can be advantageous should one of the goaltenders struggle or go down to injury. With goaltending being the most important position in hockey, organizational depth in the area is key. Just ask CHI, ANA, PIT, OTT, STL.

It certainly would be a nice luxury to have two #1's that you can count on.

If all we're losing is a 2nd-3rd line tweener (Frattin) and a 2nd rounder, and what we're getting in return is a goaltender with the potential and fundamentals to be even better than Reimer (and most certainly better than Scrivens), I say go for it. Goaltenders with Bernier's age and promise don't come around very often.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You want to use sv% alone to measure a goalies worth? Try watching some hockey. James Reimer built a .924% stopping easy shots from the point and side boards all year. Anybody who doesn't have blue coloured goggles on and watches him see all kinds of fatal flaws that will keep him from reaching the next level. Honestly Reimer has played above expectations and we wanna count on that and that alone? Yikes.

Do you believe that myth?

Kyle Doobas*

Do you believe that myth?
Go look at some of the shot charts from Leafs games this year. Not that Reimer never made any big saves (in particular I remember him single-handedly winning a game for us against the Devils), but considering how we were routinely out-shot and spent so much time in our own end, there's no doubt we would have been steamrolled this season if we weren't one of the best teams in the league at holding the opposition to the outside and keeping the high-percentage scoring chances low.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

They can learn to play in clutch situations. Johnny Bower, who is one of the greatest playoff goalies of all time, has said that it took him some time to adjust to the playoffs and that people should be patient with Reimer because Bower thinks he will get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA