Sportsnet: Toronto interested in Bernier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Reimer's the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey. No matter what he does he won't get any respect.

You're thinking of Marc Andre Fleury. Reimer has poor rebound control and puck handling, and arguable a poor glove hand, he still has a lot to prove.

MrLegend28*

Bernier was 9-3-1 with a sub 2 GAA and has the potential based on the fact he was a 1st round pick so it wasn't a fluke. ya, you take that for Frattin + 100/100 times.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Bernier was 9-3-1 with a sub 2 GAA and has the potential based on the fact he was a 1st round pick so it wasn't a fluke. ya, you take that for Frattin + 100/100 times.

Yeah and think of the bum players he had to bail out in front of him.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Why do most people dislike the idea of adding good goalie to the team with the upside of being a star? Yes, I know it might upset the status quo and threaten Reimer's job as the starter but if you let the two goalies battle it out for the starters job and Bernier wins it, is it not in the best interest of the team to ice the better team? You have to look at it objectively and ask yourself if you want the better player or the home grown player and concede that they might not necessarily be the same thing.

Now if its a bad deal value wise you obviously don't do it, but just in discussion on whether or not people even want him I am surprised how overwhelming it is in favour of keeping things as is.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Hey Clarkeforever

Dealing our highly anticipated 1st and Frattin ( 2 huge huge assets ) for a Goalie in Bernier who has stated publically he does not want to PLATOON as a goalie

Reimer whom we told ( aka Nonis, Carlyle, Lietwiki or whatever his name is ) your our # 1 great job getting us to playoffs etc etc etc..now ahhh your going to platoon or be #2....That will give our players great confidence that management means what they say..

Then the issue we have blown our wad of assets without solving the issue of top #1C, desperate and i mean desperate need for a top 4 defensive D, and what about powerforward????

You do realize LA is an extremely good defensive team yes??? Bernier was protected from large volume shots or quality shots...welcome too Toronto the shooting gallery where his stats will fall seriously so...

And we will realize we gave up a 1st in a seriously good draft & Frattin for no improvement

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Why are so many people against this move? He's on a good contract, and an RFA. He's young, a goalie with great stats and will give us a great 1/2 punch with Reimer for the next half decade.

He's way better then Scrivens. An upgrade at any position you take from a position of strength. It's a no brainer if they want Frattin +.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If the Leafs were able to make the playoffs under Carlyle's system with Reimer's weak glove and awful rebound control, there is absolutely no credible reason to suggest that a more highly touted goaltender like Bernier, who has a much better grasp of the fundamentals, would flounder in Toronto.

There is a reason why Bernier has garnered such interest from several prospective suitors.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Hey Clarkeforever

Dealing our highly anticipated 1st and Frattin ( 2 huge huge assets ) for a Goalie in Bernier who has stated publically he does not want to PLATOON as a goalie

Reimer whom we told ( aka Nonis, Carlyle, Lietwiki or whatever his name is ) your our # 1 great job getting us to playoffs etc etc etc..now ahhh your going to platoon or be #2....That will give our players great confidence that management means what they say..

Then the issue we have blown our wad of assets without solving the issue of top #1C, desperate and i mean desperate need for a top 4 defensive D, and what about powerforward????

You do realize LA is an extremely good defensive team yes??? Bernier was protected from large volume shots or quality shots...welcome too Toronto the shooting gallery where his stats will fall seriously so...

And we will realize we gave up a 1st in a seriously good draft & Frattin for no improvement

I feel as if you're just trolling now.

How many times must it be explained to you that the source of the 1st rounder speculation is a completely unreliable, unplugged-in, non-connected BLOGGER. His credibility is the same as ours.

STOP spreading falsehoods around these boards. Holy hell. You're getting your panties in a bunch over unsubstantiated conjecture.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
If the Leafs were able to make the playoffs under Carlyle's system with Reimer's weak glove and awful rebound control, there is absolutely no credible reason to suggest that a more highly touted goaltender like Bernier, who has a much better grasp of the fundamentals, would flounder in Toronto.

There is a reason why Bernier has garnered such interest from several prospective suitors.

I'm guessing you don't believe Reimer was the main reason this team qualified for the playoffs?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Exactly, lol.

SPEND ASSETS for a young goalie to sit on bench as backup

OR

Sign veteran with experience to mentor young goalie and costs NO ASSETS

Pretty easy decision.

But his last name is Bernier, the name alone spells success, Bernier steals the game the Leafs win the cup! Holy Mackinaw Bernier what a save!

Don't care what it costs we have to get that name! With the cool highly popular Bozak name leaving we need a new B, Bernier > Bozak

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
How the hell is Frattin and 2nd a "significant assest"? Frattin will be third line winger that we can replace easily and 2nd round pick will probably be non-significant as well. MUCH rather have Bernier than Frattin.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How the hell is Frattin and 2nd a "significant assest"? Frattin will be third line winger that we can replace easily and 2nd round pick will probably be non-significant as well. MUCH rather have Bernier than Frattin.

And his name is Bernier

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Reimer is still unproven. He still has to play a full season to prove his worth and he hasn't done so in his career yet. I get sick and tired when I hear how Reimer is more proven than Bernier when neither have proven much of anything.

Reimer has more GP, wins and a better SV%, so at this point in time Reimer is "more proven" than Bernier.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
People are against this because it's superfluous. You're giving up assets to acquire a goaltender that has put up worst stats than the one you have on a contending team, in fewer games. Screw draft position, it tells you nothing about how good a goaltender is going to be. Ask the Penguins about that one...

Goaltending was the main strength of the team last year. We wouldn't have made the playoffs without Reimer playing well. Scrivens also put up solid numbers in relief. To say it was Carlyle's system is just laughable.

There are more important areas for this team to improve itself.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I've always heard nonis say repeatedly if he can upgrade the goaltending position at a reasonable price, he'll do it. That's why I think he's going after bernier. it creates good competition between reimer and bernier and will bring out the best in them.

Also to the people saying why do we need bernier when we have reimer...do you have faith in scrivens to carry the goaltending load when Reims gets a long term injury? the team was nervous as hell when scrivens was in net. having bernier gives us insurance.

I'm looking forward to having bernier on the team. having competition in net is not a bad thing people!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I've always heard nonis say repeatedly if he can upgrade the goaltending position at a reasonable price, he'll do it. That's why I think he's going after bernier. it creates good competition between reimer and bernier and will bring out the best in them.

Also to the people saying why do we need bernier when we have reimer...do you have faith in scrivens to carry the goaltending load when Reims gets a long term injury? the team was nervous as hell when scrivens was in net. having bernier gives us insurance.

I'm looking forward to having bernier on the team. having competition in net is not a bad thing people!

If Reimer goes down, I'm more confident in a Veteran Backup to take charge, not a young backup goaltender like Bernier.

Did you see when Fleury played like garbage? Vokoun (Veteran Backup) took over and was amazing.

I have as much faith in Scrivens than in Bernier, not alot.

I have much more faith in a Veteran backup than both Scrivens and Bernier.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm guessing you don't believe Reimer was the main reason this team qualified for the playoffs?

You would be guessing correctly.

Don't get me wrong, Reimer played well last season and he was a standout on a few occasions, but he was also inconsistent at times and has a propensity to let in soft goals quite often.

Reimer is an adequate starting goaltender. I want better than adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad