OT: Toronto Blue Jays

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
so many are so quick to turn. Nice win last night to get back on the positive side. You have to try and have a different mind frame when it comes to the baseball season. Unlike hockey, you can't really have game to game emotions or you'll be drained out by the end of the year. It's a long season and this team has won a lot and has recently gone through a little hiccup..it happens. We're still 3 1/2 games up on the Yankees and 4 1/2 up on the Orioles with 93 games left. Still tons of time left before we should get all doom and gloom.

The bats showed some life again, and another great road outing by Hutch! Man if he could pitch like that at home he'd be a Cy contender ;)

Hopefully Dickey can get past the 5th inning this time...Really starting to annoy me with his short outings. We gave up a ton for him..at least he can do is get through 5.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
so many are so quick to turn. Nice win last night to get back on the positive side. You have to try and have a different mind frame when it comes to the baseball season. Unlike hockey, you can't really have game to game emotions or you'll be drained out by the end of the year. It's a long season and this team has won a lot and has recently gone through a little hiccup..it happens. We're still 3 1/2 games up on the Yankees and 4 1/2 up on the Orioles with 93 games left. Still tons of time left before we should get all doom and gloom.

The bats showed some life again, and another great road outing by Hutch! Man if he could pitch like that at home he'd be a Cy contender ;)

Hopefully Dickey can get past the 5th inning this time...Really starting to annoy me with his short outings. We gave up a ton for him..at least he can do is get through 5.

I completely agree with you...
But at least people watches now.
Baseball is a great game...
And hopefully the casual fans will stay.

Dickey will always be inconsistent.
There is just no way to tell with his knuckleball.
He had a nice stretch of 7 games...
And now he is in a bit of a slump.
It is to be expected...
And he should never be seen as an ace.
That Cy Young season was a fluke...
Unfortunately.

Still...
AA wanted to get a front of the line starter that season...
And he was one of the top names available.
It is just bad timing...
And I would blame AA too much on this one.
Plus...
d'Arnaud has struggled...
Syndergaard is currently hurt...
And there are no new information on Becerra this season.
It really shows how volatile prospects really are.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Making 1st trip to Safeco this Aug for the 3 game series. Any tips on best views for the game? Looking at visitors dugout about 10 rows up for $120 US per ticket on Stubhub.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Making 1st trip to Safeco this Aug for the 3 game series. Any tips on best views for the game? Looking at visitors dugout about 10 rows up for $120 US per ticket on Stubhub.

Really? That's pretty pricey. I just got back from a trip and paid $105 for 8th row behind home plate.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Good win and we got a hard fought split. 4 games off the schedule and Baltimore didn't gain a thing. We're back to 4.5 games up on the O's and Yanks with 91 games left. Take each series at a time, take 2 out of 3, knock 3 games off the schedule each time and slowly but surely playoff baseball will be back in Toronto. We have a 3-game series against the Yanks starting Tuesday. Game 1-Stroman-Tanaka, Game 2-Buerhle-Whitley, Game 3-Hutch-Phelps.

Upcoming schedule, 3 games @Yanks, 3 games @Cincinnati, 3 games vs. Yanks. So the next two weeks are going to say a lot about this team.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
According to SCS;

Record in games remaining:
43-48 minimum to have at least 50% chance of making playoffs.
45-46 minimum to have at least 50% chance of winning division.
48-43 minimum to have at least 50% chance of 2nd in conference.
61-30 minimum to have at least 50% chance of grabbing top seed. (SCS really likes Oakland's run differential)

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/MLB/American/ALEastern/BlueJays.html

I think Jays fans will see their team in the post-season for the first time since 1993. Of course we've seen promising season starts melt away, but it can't happen every time right?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
According to SCS;

Record in games remaining:
43-48 minimum to have at least 50% chance of making playoffs.
45-46 minimum to have at least 50% chance of winning division.
48-43 minimum to have at least 50% chance of 2nd in conference.
61-30 minimum to have at least 50% chance of grabbing top seed. (SCS really likes Oakland's run differential)

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/MLB/American/ALEastern/BlueJays.html

I think Jays fans will see their team in the post-season for the first time since 1993. Of course we've seen promising season starts melt away, but it can't happen every time right?

Hopefully.
It is still a very long season.
The good thing is...
There are 2 wildcard spots now...
So the chances increase.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
4th in the MLB. Pretty damn impressive.

Gearing up for the grind. You can see the reality of a long season is starting to set in but the boys look like they're figuring it out.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
4th in the MLB. Pretty damn impressive.

Gearing up for the grind. You can see the reality of a long season is starting to set in but the boys look like they're figuring it out.

And to be quite honest, the rest of the AL East is not as good as it's been. Do the Yankees have a long run in them where they win 7 in a row, 8 in a row? Do the Red Sox have a big run in them, do the Orioles?. I don't think they do, the pitching is just not good enough to hold up. Tanaka is 10-1 with a 2.02 ERA, without him the Yankees are probably in the basement. Boston isn't the same team they were last year with their fluke run. Baltimore not good enough, pitching...yet again is an issue for them. and TB is TB.

Without a big run from someone, all the Jays have to do is play .500 ball or a few games above .500 the rest of the way and they should win the division.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
And to be quite honest, the rest of the AL East is not as good as it's been. Do the Yankees have a long run in them where they win 7 in a row, 8 in a row?Do the Red Sox have a big run in them, do the Orioles?. I don't think they do, the pitching is just not good enough to hold up. Tanaka is 10-1 with a 2.02 ERA, without him the Yankees are probably in the basement. Boston isn't the same team they were last year with their fluke run. Baltimore not good enough, pitching...yet again is an issue for them. and TB is TB.

Without a big run from someone, all the Jays have to do is play .500 ball or a few games above .500 the rest of the way and they should win the division.

Asked myself that same question last night ;)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Cubs Have Made New Extension Offer To Samardzija

By Steve Adams [June 17, 2014 at 9:02am CDT]

Though most of the rumors surrounding Jeff Samardzija of late have understandably pertained to possible trade destinations, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Cubs are making a late push to extend their ace. Wittenmyer hears from multiple sources that the Cubs have offered Samardzija a new extension that would keep him in Chicago through 2019. While that contract length is the same as the previous five-year deals Chicago has offered, Wittenmyer says the new offer is for a higher guaranteed number than the previous $60-65MM figure that was proposed.

One source tells Wittenmyer that Samardzija would require something in the vicinity of the $17.5MM annual value that Homer Bailey received on his six-year, $105MM extension with the Reds. That deal, of course, essentially boiled down to a five-year, $95MM extension, as Bailey was already likely to earn about $10MM via arbitration in 2014.

Multiple sources also indicated to Wittenmyer that “at least” two teams, including the Blue Jays, have already had preliminary talks with the Cubs about Samardzija and exchanged potential names that could change hands. He adds that contenders that are looking for starting pitching this summer “still believe Samardzija is firmly on the market.”

A midseason extension for Samardzija certainly wouldn’t be unheard of; Cole Hamels was thought to be a trade candidate for a potentially rebuilding Phillies club in 2012, but Philadelphia instead inked him to a six-year, $144MM extension. Matt Cain signed a five-year extension that guaranteed him $112.5MM in new money shortly after the onset of the 2012 season, which could be a potential talking point in negotiations for Samardzija. That contract, however, was worked out entering Cain’s contract year, while Samardzija has one-and-a-half years of control remaining.

The Cubs are reportedly gauging the market value of Jason Hammel, Edwin Jackson and Jake Arrieta in addition to Samardzija — perhaps in an effort to assess what they can pull in via trade should they lock up their most valuable trade chip long-term rather than ship him elsewhere for what would surely be an impressive haul of prospects. Given Samardzija’s excellent season to date and the fact that he is controlled through 2015, it’s hard to envision the Cubs getting anything less than the package they received for two months of Matt Garza last summer. In my estimation, a team would have to top that package — C.J. Edwards, Mike Olt, Justin Grimm and Neil Ramirez — in order to pry Samardzija away from Chicago.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah...
Samardzija is apparently back on the table for the Jays.
David Price may also be an option...
But that is mainly due to the presence of scouts at one of Norris' starts.

I think Rogers is willing to open the wallet for AA this season.
They probably realize that this is the best shot to get into the playoffs...
And the subsequent revenue will be huge...
For both attendance...
And cable subscriptions.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The pitchers still gives quality starts...
But the bats really cooled off.
I understand the ebbs and flows of a season...
But this is still not a good sign.
Perhaps they have peaked too early?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Enwin wasn't going to keep up that pace forever. I think they will get their bats going again. I hope this is just a mini-slump after a hot streak.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well, in a season of many epic and awesome moments, this game might be the best one. Down 8-0 after 2 innings, we've come all the way back and won 14-9 :yo::yo::yo:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
yeah that was awesome to watch. too bad it wasn't against the spankies.

Don't worry we have them at home starting on Monday. Time for some payback

Last night should be the perfect example of being cold and then snapping out of it in a big way out of nowhere. I keep saying this but a baseball season is full of ups and downs and hopefully we're starting a new wave of hotness.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah...
Samardzija is apparently back on the table for the Jays.
David Price may also be an option...
But that is mainly due to the presence of scouts at one of Norris' starts.

I think Rogers is willing to open the wallet for AA this season.
They probably realize that this is the best shot to get into the playoffs...
And the subsequent revenue will be huge...
For both attendance...
And cable subscriptions.

One name that should be untradeable right now is Dalton Pompey. He is having a marvellous season in Dunedin, hitting .316 with a .392 OBP. Has plus-plus speed in CF, he already has 26 stolen bases as well. He is a legit 5-tool prospect. Pure homegrown talent too (he's from Mississauga)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
One name that should be untradeable right now is Dalton Pompey. He is having a marvellous season in Dunedin, hitting .316 with a .392 OBP. Has plus-plus speed in CF, he already has 26 stolen bases as well. He is a legit 5-tool prospect. Pure homegrown talent too (he's from Mississauga)

It is A+ level though.
Time to sell high?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad