OT: Toronto Blue Jays

AlphaMale

Jan 21, 2013
Lee still have too much of a financial commitment...
At 25 million for next season...
And a 27.5 million vesting option that becomes guaranteed after 200 innings in 2015...
Or a 12.5 million buyout.
He is also 35...
So who knows how much he has left in the tank?
The money alone rules him out...
Since AA said that the Jays are pretty much tapped out in terms of financial resources...
And Philly probably would not eat too much of Lee's contract.
Plus...
He does not appear to be close to a return...
And it is not clear if he can help this year.

Samardzija would cost too much in terms of farm talents...
He probably would not resign after his current contract runs out...
And he had never proven to be more than a #3 starter at best...
So I am not sure if this season is just an outliner.
Everything I have read also suggest that the Jays will not consider him.

Samardzija isn't a #3 starter. He has comparable advanced pitching stats to guys like Verlander, Greinke, Cliff Lee, ect. Don't know the financial part of the club but this is one of those teams that it's now or never. They'll be a declining team in two to three years from now with all their core players in their early 30's right now.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Samardzija isn't a #3 starter. He has comparable advanced pitching stats to guys like Verlander, Greinke, Cliff Lee, ect. Don't know the financial part of the club but this is one of those teams that it's now or never. They'll be a declining team in two to three years from now with all their core players in their early 30's right now.

He had never pitched above #3 starter level until this year...
And most people think he will test FA once his contract is up.
I just think he is not proven enough for the high cost to get him.

Numerous reports claimed that AA is under financial constraints...
And he would not be able to make a big move.
He also do not want to give up the farm anymore...
So it is not likely that he will go for the big names.
A budget stopgap innings-eating is more likely right now.

Regardless...
It is still best to wait until July.
Who knows where the team would be then...
And if they are still in contention...
Or even firmly in first place at that time...
Then AA would have a lot more leverage to convince management to spend...
And maybe even go for one of the big names.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The draft is done for the Jays.
The names selected are interesting...
Especially with the first five rounds...
But AA did say they will strike a balance between risk and safe.
Hoffman and Pentecost should come under slot...
But Reid-Foley may look for a number north of 2 million.
I do expect the picks in the top 10 rounds to all sign though.

The question is how much they will have left over for the highschoolers from the 11th to 40th round.
Weisenberg is the one I am very curious about...
But I do not expect him to sign at all.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

The question is how much they will have left over for the highschoolers from the 11th to 40th round.

Weisenberg has already tweeted out that he's going to Stanford. I don't think he even bothered negotiating or just didn't like the number that the Jays gave him. The Jays took a lot of hard signs today which I like, why not right? If you lose out on a kid early on then you have some high end talent that you picked late in the draft to throw money at. I do expect Hoffman, Pentencost, and Reid-Foley to sign. The savings made on any pick can go directly to Reid-Foleys deal because he's probably looking at 2+mil like you said nameless. I think his slot value was 1.2 or something like that so he's probably asking for a mil over slot. Hoff and Pentecost will each save AA some money as well. All I'm worried about right now is those 3, get those 3 signed and this draft gets an A+ from me.

Hoffman
Stroman
Reid-Foley
Hutchison
Sanchez

beautiful, and all would be under team control for a long time

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So even with the loss today, minimal damage was done in the standings, everyone else lost except for Baltimore. They're now 5.5 back of the Jays, Yanks still 6, and Boston and TB still well out of it. Time to go out and get the series win tomorrow.

99 games left ;)

kongt

Feb 21, 2012

At the current going rate of bonus given to comparable prospects(Gatewood and Harrison), expect it to be more south than north of 2 mil.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
At the current going rate of bonus given to comparable prospects(Gatewood and Harrison), expect it to be more south than north of 2 mil.

yeah slot value for Harrison was 1.1 and he signed well above at 1.8. So I would think that something similar to that, heck even exactly 2 mil who knows. He definitely won't sign at slot though, we're going to have to save roughly 700-800k from Hoffman/Pentecost for Reid-Foley's bonus

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

I hope you are right...
And I would be happy with anywhere between 1.7 to 1.9.

The main saving would be from Hoffman...
Because I think he will be well-below slot...
Since he has no leverage...
As he would not be able to pitch and rebuild his value...
Due to his recovery time being 12 to 15 months.
One pundit even said that the Blue Jays should offer him just half of the slot..
And while that is a pipe dream...
That would give AA a lot of ammunition to sign the tough signs from round 11 to 40.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I hope you are right...
And I would be happy with anywhere between 1.7 to 1.9.

The main saving would be from Hoffman...
Because I think he will be well-below slot...
Since he has no leverage...
As he would not be able to pitch and rebuild his value...
Due to his recovery time being 12 to 15 months.
One pundit even said that the Blue Jays should offer him just half of the slot..
And while that is a pipe dream...
That would give AA a lot of ammunition to sign the tough signs from round 11 to 40.

If they offered him exactly 2 mil and he signed the Jays save a million bucks right there and that's not even including what they'll save with Pentecost. They could use that money to sign Reid-Foley and maybe sign a guy like Houck who is another hard sign that was supposed to go well before he did

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Another 5-0 loss. I was at the game today. Needless to say, I'm going to give it to my girlfriend for dragging my ass this ****show of a game :rant:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Another 5-0 loss. I was at the game today. Needless to say, I'm going to give it to my girlfriend for dragging my ass this ****show of a game :rant:

The Cards may have a worst record than the Jays...
But it is a good team.
The pitchers there are definitely better than the Jays' current rotation...
And the lineup is quite balanced.
I really like the organization...
Because the coaches there are great...
From the major league level all the way down to the minors...
And the farm system always churns out players.

Plus...
The Jays bats suddenly go cold.
It happens from time to time during a season.
The next couple of series are more important...
Since the Jays will be up against division rivals...
So hopefully they find their bats again...
And this is just a mini slump.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hopefully the lowly Twins can reignite our offense in time for the next 3 series after that. Needles to say, they are critical.

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
Jays signed 4th round pick catcher Matt morgan and 8th round pick pitcher Justin Schafer...anyone know anything about either of them? All i know is morgan is a highschooler while schafer is out of college.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Jays signed 4th round pick catcher Matt morgan and 8th round pick pitcher Justin Schafer...anyone know anything about either of them? All i know is morgan is a highschooler while schafer is out of college.

Not that I am an expert on prospects...
But Morgan is best known for his defense...
With adequate offense.
He was ranked 151 on the BA list...
And 126 on MLB.com.
He should be able to stay behind the plate as he advances.

Schafer is listed as a pitcher...
But he also played short and outfield.
His bat is his biggest asset...
Though he had touched 91 mph on his fastball.
He fits that athletic mould AA wants...
And honestly...
He could come up at any position.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
For those who are interested...
Bluebird Banter has all the signing information on one page:
Blues Jays 2014 Draft Signing Table.

So far...
Nick Wells (3rd round), Lane Thomas (5th round), Gunnar Heidt (13th round), Chase Mallard (14th round) and Cliff Brantley (19th round) looks about to sign...
Tanner Houck (12th round) and Chris Murphy (29th round) are negotiating...
Zack Zehner (7th round) is undecided...
While Drew Lugbauer (21st round) will go to college...
And the Canadian Zachery Pop (23rd round) is unlikely to sign.

Last edited:

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
So Jays signed 5th round pick OF Lane thomas...

And 2nd round pick Sean REID FOLEY! And from everything i've seen, looks like they got him AT SLOT, contrary to what everyone in this thread believed!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bats are in a bit of a slump right now.

Hopefully they can turn it around and get back to the ball they were playing in May.

The funny thing is people are starting to get concerned..which is kind of silly because the numbers we put up in May are just impossible to keep up. It's absurd to think we could even come close to what we did in that month. Some on here have said, we're coming back to earth...well what do you expect? We went 21-8 I believe, and we were annihilating the ball, at some point the the bats were going to go cold. And I warned everyone about this. I said at some point the bats are going to go cold, it's just the nature of the season. It's 162 games..we're going to be hot at times and cold at times. We have 96 games left, and all I'm looking towards is winning series. Just take 2/3 from most series and we should be at least in the division lead or a WC by the end of it. This team is fine, they're just going through some natural mid season struggles like every team does. Another thing, it's not like we're in a big slump..we're 6-3 in June. We're fine, a win today and we're back in the win column, 7-3 take 2/3 from Minnesota and we head off to Baltimore, and everyone will be happy again.

By the way speaking of the draft. If the the Jays sign Tanner Houck then that is just icing on the cake. Hoffman, Pentecost, Sean Reid-foley, Wells, Thomas, Houck. Wow!! what a haul that would be.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The funny thing is people are starting to get concerned..which is kind of silly because the numbers we put up in May are just impossible to keep up. It's absurd to think we could even come close to what we did in that month. Some on here have said, we're coming back to earth...well what do you expect? We went 21-8 I believe, and we were annihilating the ball, at some point the the bats were going to go cold. And I warned everyone about this. I said at some point the bats are going to go cold, it's just the nature of the season. It's 162 games..we're going to be hot at times and cold at times. We have 96 games left, and all I'm looking towards is winning series. Just take 2/3 from most series and we should be at least in the division lead or a WC by the end of it. This team is fine, they're just going through some natural mid season struggles like every team does.

By the way speaking of the draft. If the the Jays sign Tanner Houck then that is just icing on the cake. Hoffman, Pentecost, Sean Reid-foley, Wells, Thomas, Houck. Wow!! what a haul that would be.

20-4 over the 24 games before this mini-slump. And, as you said, the offense was bound to cool off a bit. Players like Juan Francisco are not going to continue the pace they were hitting at.

The good news for the Jays is they lost 3 of 4 and only lost a game in the standings: they're still up 5.

Ideally AA will add a mid/back rotation starter and a 2b at the deadline. I don't think they go for a front line starter this season with where the acquisition cost is. It doesn't make sense from an organizational standpoint. I'd prefer to see them try and get into the playoffs, make a little noise, and then apply all of those additional earnings to signing Shields this winter.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Bats are in a bit of a slump right now.

Hopefully they can turn it around and get back to the ball they were playing in May.

Pitching has a lot to do with that. Great pitching can make even the best teams look foolish, and the Jays have faced some pretty awesome pitching. Right now these last few games the Pitchers have been making few mistakes, and the Jays have not been able to capitalize like they did.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
The funny thing is people are starting to get concerned..which is kind of silly because the numbers we put up in May are just impossible to keep up. It's absurd to think we could even come close to what we did in that month. Some on here have said, we're coming back to earth...well what do you expect? We went 21-8 I believe, and we were annihilating the ball, at some point the the bats were going to go cold. And I warned everyone about this. I said at some point the bats are going to go cold, it's just the nature of the season. It's 162 games..we're going to be hot at times and cold at times. We have 96 games left, and all I'm looking towards is winning series. Just take 2/3 from most series and we should be at least in the division lead or a WC by the end of it. This team is fine, they're just going through some natural mid season struggles like every team does. Another thing, it's not like we're in a big slump..we're 6-3 in June. We're fine, a win today and we're back in the win column, 7-3 take 2/3 from Minnesota and we head off to Baltimore, and everyone will be happy again.

Trying to steal myself. Going to try and enjoy being on top of the division while it lasts, and hopefully the boys can do as you said.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Pitching has a lot to do with that. Great pitching can make even the best teams look foolish, and the Jays have faced some pretty awesome pitching. Right now these last few games the Pitchers have been making few mistakes, and the Jays have not been able to capitalize like they did.

they're looking bad against mediocre pitching too right now. they're in a mini slump. it happens to all teams. good teams can snap out of it quicker. hopefully the boys can turn it around until things snow ball too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad