Value of: TOR-VGK Blockbuster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
you are not getting Nylander for a bunch of guys who were left exposed just last summer.

Some teams had to expose good players. Others didn’t. Disingenuous argument. Also, half that list wasn’t exposed.

Reactions: Drakon

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is absolutely atrocious for Vegas. Smith has a great year and is a big part of their top line, Nylander would be a marginal upgrade if one at all. They're also not trading their 3 best defensemen for an expiring 2nd pair defenseman, an expiring bottom pair defenseman, and a bottom pair defenseman signed to a terrible contract.

I don't think it's "atrocious" at all. And while chemistry plays a huge part in how a line works, and in that sense I get that Smith might be more valuable then Nylander.... but individually Nylander is a much better player then Smith and holds significantly more value.

That said... losing Miller, Theadore and Schmidt and replacing them with Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gardner is rough. I think higher of Zaitsev and Gardner then you do, but that's still a tough pill to swallow, even with Nylander cushioning the blow.

On a side note, while it's correct to point out that Gardner has an expiring contract, it's hypocritical to not point out the same thing in Schmidt. It's not like all of these guys are signed to long term contracts.

Smith 67gp 60p
Nylander 82gp 61p

I've liked Smith for a long time... but before we start talking about him as a 60+ point winger... lets see if he can be a 20g/50pt winger in two straight seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: HavocWreaker

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Reilly Smith was acquired via trade and the list of players left exposed from rosters where Vegas has worked out a deal can't be taken at face value, the deals were protection for who they left exposed in the first place, so the lists don't really reflect the team's view on their players in terms of the protection list.
Right. Cause the reverse of what I said makes even a shred of difference.

As to the rest, that's kind of the point, no? Zeke comes here assuming that just cause some players were exposed that means the team didn't think too highly of them.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A lot of hyperbole in this thread...

It's a shame that 3/4 of the leafs top 4 d corps sucks so bad. Maybe just maybe we won't finish in the bottom 3 this upcoming season. Fingers crossed.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
This is really good for the Leafs, very bad for Vegas. Leafs have a lot of winger depth, Kapanen, Leivo, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Ennis, etc. We also get R. Smith in the return. I love Nylander and think he is gonna be a hell of a player, but this trade would make Leafs a better team, and Vegas worse imo. Trades like these will actually never happen anyways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
See some sustained work

2017 playoffs 6gp 1g 4p Nylander, couldn't beat Hyman
2018 playoffs 7gp 1g 4p Nylander, couldn't beat Hyman

2016 playoffs 6gp 4g 8p Smith
1018 playoffs 20gp 5g 22p Smith, signed for 4 years for 5M
How old is Smith if he played in the 1018 playoffs? :sarcasm:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
This is a pretty classic quantity for quality proposal. IF you take out Nylander and its a sign and trade with Gardiner I think it makes more sense.

With Nylander this deal doesn't work. Vegas doesn't have any assets on his level (or near it) so they can't land a piece like Willy right now.

Vegas already loses the deal and now you want to take out willy? rediculous

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
A lot of hyperbole in this thread...

It's a shame that 3/4 of the leafs top 4 d corps sucks so bad. Maybe just maybe we won't finish in the bottom 3 this upcoming season. Fingers crossed.

Your great forwards will outscore your crappy D.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs fan piping in saying this makes no sense for Vegas.

Nylander is the best piece out there but the three defencemen are better than the leafs.

Make it a straight Nylander + Gardiner for Smith + Theodore.

I really liked Schmidt in the playoffs

Reactions: haveandare

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder when the last NHL trade of 3D for 3D in each team's starting 6 ever happened? Looks like it obviously favours Leafs on D and contracts, but anyway teams don't go around making trades like that. Should just narrow it down to Theodore/Nylander and figure out whether pick/prospect adds around that core deal solve anything for either team. Shooting for the top-3 D and top line winger from a Cup finalist team is getting impractically carried away.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Vegas would never, ever do this. Trade half the D that just went to the cup finals to make a slight upgrade at forward?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not trading Nylander for a bunch of dime a dozen players
200w.gif

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Theo = Nylander
Smith = Gardiner
Schmidt > Zaitsev
Miller >>> Hainsey

Vegas say no

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
VGK's 3 best defenders and top line winger for a pending UFA Dman, a Dman coming off a brutal year, Hainsey and Nylander .

Wow

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
This is a pretty classic quantity for quality proposal. IF you take out Nylander and its a sign and trade with Gardiner I think it makes more sense.

With Nylander this deal doesn't work. Vegas doesn't have any assets on his level (or near it) so they can't land a piece like Willy right now.

So you somehow think this is fair while taking Nylander out? What are you on man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad