Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Travis Dermott signs extension with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $874,125)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I think the point is why bother answering? We’ve been told since Tavares was signed we’d be in cap hell. Every year they figure it out and every year it’s wait until next year when they will have to sell everyone off.

At some point it’s pretty obvious it’s just an attempt to annoy Leaf fans.
I agree with the bolded part, if you can't answer logically.

As to your last paragraph, there's a "Report" button if you think a post breaks the rules.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I agree with the bolded part, if you can't answer logically.

As to your last paragraph, there's a "Report" button if you think a post breaks the rules.
I think the most important thing we need to consider here is if Dermott gets offer-sheeted and the Leafs get no compensation.

:sarcasm::popcorn:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Made a big upgrade on D and added some toughness in our depth forwards.
Remember when Barrie was our humongous upgrade on Gardner and Ceci a huge upgrade on Zaitsev? That's the problem. We were doing the same thing then that you're doing now. You're looking at history based on reality and the future based on everything going perfectly. We were probably MORE happy with our D going into last season then we are this season.

Sure, the teams tougher. Something that I personally really like. But it's REALLY frustrating that people praising these signings were calling "toughness" an antiquated characteristic just last season. Remember? The Power Play would be our enforcer?

It's always the same. We deserve all the mockery we get.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think the point is why bother answering? We’ve been told since Tavares was signed we’d be in cap hell. Every year they figure it out and every year it’s wait until next year when they will have to sell everyone off.

At some point it’s pretty obvious it’s just an attempt to annoy Leaf fans.
By "cap hell" they mean that the leafs won't have the depth to be competitive and will be a playoff bubble team. So far the leaf critics are 100% correct in their "cap hell" prediction.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That’s exactly what he is. His defense gets overlooked because he doesn’t fit the HF “defensive defenseman” archetype of old, big, slow, and not very good at hockey.

A defensive defenseman who gets almost 53% ozone starts? Yeah, riiiiight? He wasn't particularly good in the playoffs, and is pretty soft.

Also, he plays on one of the best offensive teams in the league, gets majority ozone starts AND still only put up 11 pts.

Mete who played on a far worse team with a terrible offense also managed 11 pts, while getting 54% D-zone starts. He signed for $735k.

It's a good signing, but there's no steal here. He's not a $1m+ player.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Remember when Barrie was our humongous upgrade on Gardner and Ceci a huge upgrade on Zaitsev? That's the problem. We were doing the same thing then that you're doing now. You're looking at history based on reality and the future based on everything going perfectly. We were probably MORE happy with our D going into last season then we are this season.

Sure, the teams tougher. Something that I personally really like. But it's REALLY frustrating that people praising these signings were calling "toughness" an antiquated characteristic just last season. Remember? The Power Play would be our enforcer?

I dont think anyone expected Ceci to be better than Zaitsev, that trade was purely to get Zaitsevs contract off the books. Brodie is definitely an upgrade on Ceci or Barrie, we have a decent defense IF they can stay healthy. Is it good enough? Time will tell

Reactions: Fred Sheeran

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
By "cap hell" they mean that the leafs won't have the depth to be competitive and will be a playoff bubble team. So far the leaf critics are 100% correct in their "cap hell" prediction.
That is a simplistic way of viewing it though not without some truth. Problem is last years problems had more to do with injuries, poor usage/coaching than lack of talent as Keefes record suggests. Fact is every team could be better if they had more to spend. If we are in Cap hell by your definition so is most of the league.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
A defensive defenseman who gets almost 53% ozone starts? Yeah, riiiiight? He wasn't particularly good in the playoffs, and is pretty soft.

Also, he plays on one of the best offensive teams in the league, gets majority ozone starts AND still only put up 11 pts.

Mete who played on a far worse team with a terrible offense also managed 11 pts, while getting 54% D-zone starts. He signed for $735k.

It's a good signing, but there's no steal here. He's not a $1m+ player.

No one is claiming he’s the team’s go to shutdown D man. Yes he’s a sheltered young player, but the fact is he’s gotten fantastic defensive results so far in his career.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
When people say the leafs will be in "cap hell", they don't mean that the team will simply cease to exist, mlse will call it quits entirely and then explode the scotiabank arena into a thousand pieces.

They mean things like having to trade young promising players (Kapanen/Johnsson) and replace them with 40 year old league minimum vets.

Robertson is replacing Johnsson Thornton is replacing Gauthier, the only real hole created is Kapanen

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Robertson is replacing Johnsson Thornton is replacing Gauthier, the only real hole created is Kapanen

i really hope we find ourselves in a place where OHL kids can be carried in the A this season. That’s the only scenario I see Leafs risking carrying Robertson for the season and would be great for his development to get reps in the big leagues starting this season.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
But there have been repercussions to clear cap room. 1st to get rid of Marleau. Johnsson to the Devils for a marginal player. Connor Brown to the Senators.
Hahahahaha.
We did get a first back tho, johnsson is an average player at best, and did you seriously just mention Connor brown!?

my god the haters will reach for anything LOL

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe Kap will be missed a bit on the PK, but (otherwise) I don’t see him being missed much.

Will miss his break aways on the PK but Leafs have brought in other PK bodies as well.

Brodie in over Barrie
Anderson in over Johnsson

Don't Anderson in full time though quite yet so I wonder who picks up Kappy's PK time when Anderson isn't on the roster.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Outside of being extremely dangerous on the PK I'm not sure the Leafs are losing a ton of sleep over Kapanen. Brodie is a really big help to the Right side of the D and Robertson should be a good replacement. Every line Kap played on last year looked worse with him on it despite flashes of high end skill and even higher end speed from him. He's pretty much the textbook example of tunnel vision in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Will miss his break aways on the PK but Leafs have brought in other PK bodies as well.

Brodie in over Barrie
Anderson in over Johnsson

Don't Anderson in full time though quite yet so I wonder who picks up Kappy's PK time when Anderson isn't on the roster.

It's more likely that Vesey is the "replacement" for Johnsson. Anderson will likely be on the taxi squad and then get a spot in 21-22 season.

Brodie is more of a fit than Barrie.

Thornton is still a better player than Gauthier and brings more off the ice as well.

Mikko Lehtonen or Zach Bogosian will be at worst, a lateral move from Ceci. I am pretty sure Lehtonen will be much better though.

Kapanen essentially gets replaced by Mikheyev being healthy again.

Jack Campbell for a full season >>>>>>>>> Hutchinson as backup. Would be hard to imagine Freddy being worse than last year.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's more likely that Vesey is the "replacement" for Johnsson. Anderson will likely be on the taxi squad and then get a spot in 21-22 season.

Brodie is more of a fit than Barrie.

Thornton is still a better player than Gauthier and brings more off the ice as well.

Mikko Lehtonen or Zach Bogosian will be at worst, a lateral move from Ceci. I am pretty sure Lehtonen will be much better though.

Kapanen essentially gets replaced by Mikheyev being healthy again.

Jack Campbell for a full season >>>>>>>>> Hutchinson as backup. Would be hard to imagine Freddy being worse than last year.

I was more speaking specifically to PK duties.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Personally I am more happy with this years D because Marincin is no longer one injury away from playing I think I'm part of the majority here

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Would be cool to see Dermott take Holl's spot

Kapanen is fine but they have Mikheyev/Engvall/Simmonds/Vesey/Barabanov/Kerfoot/Anderson and whoever to take his spot on the PK and they're all cheaper. He was a luxury and the more sexy cap move because of that speed, the idea of dumping him early for a 1st and a B prospect looks good now

Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad