Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Travis Dermott signs extension with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $874,125)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I mean, you guys will be next year with Freddie and Hyman to sign. Not to mention Dermott will be RFA again next season

I think it’s pretty much a lock that Freddie is walking next season. He’ll want big money and the Leafs just can’t allocate that much money to the goaltending position. As we saw with this offseason, there will be lots of cheap goalie options going forward.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think it’s pretty much a lock that Freddie is walking next season. He’ll want big money and the Leafs just can’t allocate that much money to the goaltending position. As we saw with this offseason, there will be lots of cheap goalie options going forward.
What goalies got big money in the flat cap era?

Freddy will get the Lehner deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's probably doing the same thing Marcus Pettersson did with Pittsburgh last year. He'll sign a 1 year cheap deal to help the cap work with his team, but he'll get compensated with a nice extension next off-season.

In Pettersson's case, he "signed" a 6 year, $3.5 million AAV deal, but it was split into 2 contracts of 1 year at his QO and 5 years at $4.025 million.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I mean, you guys will be next year with Freddie and Hyman to sign. Not to mention Dermott will be RFA again next season
Lol.

I thought it was 2 years ago or was it last year, maybe this year, or next.

Reality is, it was this past year, we traded Marleau for a 1st and unloaded Zaitsev but had to take on Ceci for a year.

Leafs are in good shape now, maybe Kerfoot or Holl go, but no big pieces.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I don't know if the team even wants Freddy back long-term so thats not a big concern. And for multiple reasons, I think its likely Hyman signs a fairly team friendly deal.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I've been a toronto fan since i started mostly due to my dad. but i've always liked them. what is sad is that there seems to be more focus and importance on Toronto wiggling around the cap than there is on ice results. it seems like its such an accomplishment to sign depth and keep trading away middle players instead of performing..

look at their the bottom six, are you kidding me

Reactions: Tripod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I wouldn't say It's a lock not in the current global situation he won't be able to ask for what he would normally get and not on a long term deal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's probably doing the same thing Marcus Pettersson did with Pittsburgh last year. He'll sign a 1 year cheap deal to help the cap work with his team, but he'll get compensated with a nice extension next off-season.

In Pettersson's case, he "signed" a 6 year, $3.5 million AAV deal, but it was split into 2 contracts of 1 year at his QO and 5 years at $4.025 million.

Didn't Petterson sign that before the world went to shit? not sure if it applies here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I've been a toronto fan since i started mostly due to my dad. but i've always liked them. what is sad is that there seems to be more focus and importance on Toronto wiggling around the cap than there is on ice results. it seems like its such an accomplishment to sign depth and keep trading away middle players instead of performing..

look at their the bottom six, are you kidding me

That bottom 6 is going to surprise you

Reactions: axlrose87

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Oh, next year must be when 'cap hell' is arriving. Maybe those offer sheets too.

I'll keep a look out and report back to base.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
What goalies got big money in the flat cap era?

Freddy will get the Lehner deal.

I’d want no part of that with Freddy, considering the cap uncertainty and where his game has been trending. Keep it short term with goalies unless you believe you have a top 3 - 5 in the game.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’d want no part of that with Freddy, considering the cap uncertainty and where his game has been trending. Keep it short term with goalies unless you believe you have a top 3 - 5 in the game.

Who replaces Freddy? no the answer is not Jack Campbell don't say Jack Campbell

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
We'll see how he does this year.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Lol.

I thought it was 2 years ago or was it last year, maybe this year, or next.

Reality is, it was this past year, we traded Marleau for a 1st and unloaded Zaitsev but had to take on Ceci for a year.

Leafs are in good shape now, maybe Kerfoot or Holl go, but no big pieces.

Well said, Dubas has been saddled with two brutal contracts that Lou left him with. First , Zaitsev after a one year wonder showing gets a what 6 or 7 year deal and is basically a bottom pairing guy. Next he signs Marleau for his leadership for more than anybody was willing to pay him and gives him an additional year more than anybody would.

He has had his detractors and I too have been critical of the contract he signed his stars to but he had had some great trades (Yes the Kadri/Barrie one didn’t workout) and some really great negotiations with most of the rest of our roster. Furthermore he has really put Toronto on the map as a destination. JT, Spezza, Simmonds, Bogo, Lehtonen, and Barabanov.

I know it’s a lot to ask but I think a lot of these signings will give some if the kids more development time, Hopefully after the expansion draft we can really push with the young kids.

Reactions: MattySnipes

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Wow. I know it was most likely going to be a very short term deal since Dermott hasn't proven himself yet, but I thought for sure the money was going to be best case scenario 1.5M.

Dubas is crushing it this offseason. Not that anybody will care. They'll continue to focus on the 3 contracts where the players got a bit over market value and not the many more contracts that were signed for under market value.

Not a chance in hell, the Leafs are...oh, hold the phone.

Just wish Matthews, Nylander and Marner were due this season and not last. Hope Dubas has learnt from past mistakes

@Leafs87, you may have a point.

Dermott is not a good player

Thankfully, RP is here to straighten this unholy mess out.

All in 3 consecutive posts.

Reactions: Leafs87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad