Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Travis Dermott signs extension with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $874,125)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I've been a toronto fan since i started mostly due to my dad. but i've always liked them. what is sad is that there seems to be more focus and importance on Toronto wiggling around the cap than there is on ice results. it seems like its such an accomplishment to sign depth and keep trading away middle players instead of performing..

look at their the bottom six, are you kidding me
Good post.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think we're gonna see any offersheets this year.

Would not go over well considering they seem to be frowned upon in a normal offseason.
GM's should do it more(offersheets). You could throw a $2.1 mil/year deal at a player like Dermott and the Leafs would be in trouble and you only give up a 3rd as compensation. It's not the best for relationships with other GM's, but you're trying to win, not make friends.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
He's going to be looking to make the jump to the marleys from the OHL this year. We have high hopes for him. Might be an NHLer one day. Dubas definitely taking a big risk on an unproven OHL player, who is 23 now, might I add.
I think you are mistaken. That’s overage for CHL.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, you guys will be next year with Freddie and Hyman to sign. Not to mention Dermott will be RFA again next season

Weird. We were told we were this year? Forget the Lightning and Lou’s mess in New York... the Leafs are in cap hell!

All that happened is we traded Kapanen for the 15th overall pick and Filip Hallander and then traded Johnsson for Anderson.

Uh. If this is what cap hell is like. I can’t wait for next off-season!!!

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Well, he did get Matthews and Dermott signed for the average AAV $6.25M between them. It's an overpayment for Dermott, but it is only for one year.
It’s an over payment for Dermott? I’m thinking you made a mathematical error.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Weird. We were told we were this year? Forget the Lightning and Lou’s mess in New York... the Leafs are in cap hell!

All that happened is we traded Kapanen for the 15th overall pick and Filip Hallander and then traded Johnsson for Anderson.

Uh. If this is what cap hell is like. I can’t wait for next off-season!!!
When people say the leafs will be in "cap hell", they don't mean that the team will simply cease to exist, mlse will call it quits entirely and then explode the scotiabank arena into a thousand pieces.

They mean things like having to trade young promising players (Kapanen/Johnsson) and replace them with 40 year old league minimum vets.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
When people say the leafs will be in "cap hell", they don't mean that the team will simply cease to exist, mlse will call it quits entirely and then explode the scotiabank arena into a thousand pieces.

They mean things like having to trade young promising players (Kapanen/Johnsson) and replace them with 40 year old league minimum vets.

Joe Thornton replaced Frederik Gauthier.

Gauthier is bad and is still unsigned.

Try again.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

They don't know what they mean, because it's just a nebulous term based on the Leafs having expensive players

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Joe Thornton replaced Frederik Gauthier.

Gauthier is bad and is still unsigned.

Try again.
Oh, I get it now.

The leafs icing a hockey team in any capacity is apparently "proof" they aren't in cap hell.

I mean, if the standards are that low....

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Lol now kapanen and AJ were young promising players.

werent they psychotically inconsistent, dramatic overpayments?

dubas got more for kapanen then Schmidt and toews combined.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Oh, I get it now.

The leafs icing a hockey team in any capacity is apparently "proof" they aren't in cap hell.

I mean, if the standards are that low....

What you said doesn't make sense. Unless you think TJ Brodie, and then bringing in veterans to play in depth roles (much like Dallas did last off-season) is "icing a team in any capacity".

No, but the Kapanen trade was terrific value, and we got a player who can fit into our bottom 6 for a player who is coming off a major injury.

Cap Hell would be putting our second line center on waivers, or not having the money to re-sign our top d-man/number one center, or having to trade our second line center and top pairing d-man for mid round draft picks. Not trading two middle six wingers for fair to very good value, and replacing them with cheaper alternatives. (Which is a normal process).

Reactions: Chindis

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
What you said doesn't make sense. Unless you think TJ Brodie, and then bringing in veterans to play in depth roles (much like Dallas did last off-season) is "icing a team in any capacity".

No, but the Kapanen trade was terrific value, and we got a player who can fit into our bottom 6 for a player who is coming off a major injury.

Cap Hell would be putting our second line center on waivers, or not having the money to re-sign our top d-man/number one center, or having to trade our second line center and top pairing d-man for mid round draft picks. Not trading two middle six wingers for fair to very good value, and replacing them with cheaper alternatives. (Which is a normal process).
The leafs were a playoff-bubble team last year. The team needed significant improvements. But cap hell prevented that. Instead, due to cap hell, the leafs stepped sideways in a few areas. We by no means moved from playoff bubble team to contender. We pivoted from being a playoff bubble team.... to a playoff bubble team.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The leafs were a playoff-bubble team last year. The team needed significant improvements. But cap hell prevented that. Instead, due to cap hell, the leafs stepped sideways in a few areas. We by no means moved from playoff bubble team to contender. We pivoted from being a playoff bubble team.... to a playoff bubble team.

Made a big upgrade on D and added some toughness in our depth forwards.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
How many years in a row has it been now? Aren't people getting tired of being wrong?

I remember back when we couldn't afford to sign the top 4 because of "Cap Hell"

True to an extent. Dubas had to trade young forward depth to get the top 4 d. Then fill out the roster with old and very old cheap depth. You thought Ceci was bad, boy wait till you see Simmonds lol.

Last 3 cup winners had some solid depth... just saying. Next year is going to be interesting without Anderson bailing out a horrible team D. Brodie had Gio covering for him for his D lapses, he is just a cheap knock off of Reilly.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
How does that in any way, shape or form answer the post you quoted ?

I think the point is why bother answering? We’ve been told since Tavares was signed we’d be in cap hell. Every year they figure it out and every year it’s wait until next year when they will have to sell everyone off.

At some point it’s pretty obvious it’s just an attempt to annoy Leaf fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad