Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] TOR acquires RD Jordan Schmaltz from STL for LD Andreas Borgman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My first reaction to this trade was:

"Borgman to STL? Oh he's going to do well over there." Then I took a min. to think about it. He'll never play in front of Rielly, Muzzin, or Dermott. He can be a #7, but still challenged by others who have a similar skill set.

I wish him well.

Sandin had already surpassed him for long-term too.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Let's look at the lineups.

Now:
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-X

Then:
Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott

I'm not as high on Barrie as many others, so I think him instead of Gardiner is a rather lateral move. Ceci replacing Zaitsev is a lateral move. What we are left with is some of our depth pieces instead of Hainsey. That's looking like a downgrade. So just based on talent, I think we moved laterally. Any improvement is probably not significant, so I'm kind of with you here. If we run with both Ceci and Harpur, we might actually be worse.

However, I think the on-ice impact might be improved. For one, we replaced our #3LD for a #1RD, which means a redistribution of ice time towards better d-men. We no longer have our three worst d-men sharing half the ice time, we can give a large portion of that to Barrie. That makes a difference. We're also taking a step towards being a much harder team to read on the breakout, which has been an achilles heel for us. That helps too.
I also think it's worth keeping in mind that Gardiner was struggling on the 3rd pairing after getting hurt, so it's not like he was at his best. Barrie isn't an upgrade on healthy Gardiner, but he's a big upgrade on that version of Gardiner

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Barrie is way better than Gardiner
Like comparing Matthew to Bozak

I think that's quite a stretch. There really isn't much to choose between them, though I have to hope, that Barrie has better game sevens, where Gardiner has really struggled.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
That's ok, it gives us some RHD depth, that we sorely lack. Borgman was the third pairing LHD, on the Marlies by the end of last year, so it works for us, and helps St. Louis as well.
Agreed. It’s a minor trade, but helps each club.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas probably did this one sitting on the can in the skoks, ready to hit the dock. Just showing us he is working.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Zaitsev had more the half the giveaways in the playoffs that Bozak, Gunnarsson, and Steen combined for.
Now we have Schmaltz, Ceci, Harpur... but somehow I don't think failure would rest solely on the hands of
Babcock if this season doesn't go much better.

uhhhh...Barrie? kinda forgot him there

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My first reaction to this trade was:

"Borgman to STL? Oh he's going to do well over there." Then I took a min. to think about it. He'll never play in front of Rielly, Muzzin, or Dermott. He can be a #7, but still challenged by others who have a similar skill set.

I wish him well.

Everytime I think STL I think how stupid we were to give up Gunner for Polak.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Yeah finna do our thang. You got it alright sire. We like bouncing and swerving on this here. I feel you on the deep side, but think and hint we do need that thuggish ruggish bone still. If ain't got it, it ain't got it. We ain't got heavy hittas and killas enough sire. Kadri out so hyman and agostino finna do real hard stuff for the offense..... mayne they n trouble. We ain't got nobody like reaves yet. He would just stand up there and see suckas.... staring at a sucka. They wouldn't even dare to look at him. He that strong. We ain't got no Brashears out there... no Domis. We neeeds that stuff real hard. But we aaight, we be aaight. Dubby done did it and done goofy good. He out there mayne... he treally out there. He has to do even more, marner and all. But that one thug with that one deep entertainment would be aaight. Then we tight and correct. Correcting suckas right.

Harpur is no slouch with his fists dude...I forget where but someone posted his scraps from last year and the dude has a pretty mean right handed uppercut plus he's big (tall with a long wingspan) so guys can't reach him to hit him

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Our D core is actually getting worse. And next year it could blow up again. I have no clue what this guy is doing.

ummm...
Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Zaitsev
Gardiner Dermott

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Harpur Schmaltz

it's not even close the improvement on our back end...Barrie is more useful to our brand of hockey than Zaitsev ever could be...apparently Schmaltz is tailor made for the way we play as well? if so...this is a HUGE improvement from last year (plus nobody is playing out of place)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Not enough data to really know if it has affected him this much. He just got passed up in the depth charts by a lot of guys quick. We knew he would be a project but we didn't expect him to take as long as he did to develop by a year or two. I didn't get to watch the Wolves much this season so I can't talk on his play in the A.

Did a little work in a follow up post that shows a massive slide from 2017-2018 to the next season. Underlying NHL numbers cratered compared with his first stint, and, In the A, he went from AHL all-star 23 points in 31 games to only 9 in 36 after he was sent back down.

Concussions are no joke.

Hopefully he turns it around this year with us. Hope Borgman can finally have a healthy year too. Thought he had a chance to be an effective bottom pair role player but injuries have taken a toll and he was passed on the depth chart too.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Sandin had already surpassed him for long-term too.

thats some terrible asset mangement if thats the only reason for this trade.

the only reason this did this trade is to get another Right handed D. borgs is probably a better overall player but sometimes you just need to trade for position. Although we just went from a guy who would probably start LD with dermott out , to a guy that will fight HOLL for the joys of sitting upstairs.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris

the only reason this did this trade is to get another Right handed D. borgs is probably a better overall player but sometimes you just need to trade for position. Although we just went from a guy who would probably start LD with dermott out , to a guy that will fight HOLL for the joys of sitting upstairs.
who?

We had Rielly, Muzzin, Harpur, Gravel and Sandin ahead of him on the depth chart, the guy was literally going to be the Marlies 6th D and probably be scratched for 20+ games anyway.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Borgman hadn't played in the NHL for quite some time, was on a two-way contract, and exempt from waivers. I'm not certain he would have had a spot in the lineup. Dermott can play either side, so there's no guarantee Schmaltz stays in the lineup (assuming he wins a spot to begin with) when Dermott returns. I do like his chances of winning/keeping a spot to the better extent though.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yeah finna do our thang. You got it alright sire. We like bouncing and swerving on this here. I feel you on the deep side, but think and hint we do need that thuggish ruggish bone still. If ain't got it, it ain't got it. We ain't got heavy hittas and killas enough sire. Kadri out so hyman and agostino finna do real hard stuff for the offense..... mayne they n trouble. We ain't got nobody like reaves yet. He would just stand up there and see suckas.... staring at a sucka. They wouldn't even dare to look at him. He that strong. We ain't got no Brashears out there... no Domis. We neeeds that stuff real hard. But we aaight, we be aaight. Dubby done did it and done goofy good. He out there mayne... he treally out there. He has to do even more, marner and all. But that one thug with that one deep entertainment would be aaight. Then we tight and correct. Correcting suckas right.

Harpur is no slouch with his fists dude...I forget where but someone posted his scraps from last year and the dude has a pretty mean right handed uppercut plus he's big (tall with a long wingspan) so guys can't reach him to hit him

:eek:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

What value does Borgman really have though? I agree hes probably the better player but it wasn't like he was going to bring back a 3rd round pick or anything close to that.

Imo this is probably Dubas doing a favour to the player/agent because he wasn't going to get any icetime with the Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad