Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] TOR acquires RD Jordan Schmaltz from STL for LD Andreas Borgman

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What value does Borgman really have though? I agree hes probably the better player but it wasn't like he was going to bring back a 3rd round pick or anything close to that.

Imo this is probably Dubas doing a favour to the player/agent because he wasn't going to get any icetime with the Leafs

No value, nobody cares about this trade. It's like swapping 7th rounders or something.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
ummm...
Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Zaitsev
Gardiner Dermott

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Harpur Schmaltz

it's not even close the improvement on our back end...Barrie is more useful to our brand of hockey than Zaitsev ever could be...apparently Schmaltz is tailor made for the way we play as well? if so...this is a HUGE improvement from last year (plus nobody is playing out of place)
You see that as better?

Well see :) you think it's a coincidence Reilz had a career year with Hainsey? Ceci is hot garbage. Shmaltz is even worse. Harpwho? I like Barrie but willing to bet we lose him next season. As his agent will ask for the moon. Why not. It's Dubas. Imo we got much worse and next year is up in the air as to who will be back. So instability as well.

Brilliant

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The team is not far away from the last place overall, try and remember ...

• They were very lucky to make the playoffs and may have beat the Caps with better goaltending
  • The Leafs had the lead going into the 3rd of game 7 against a better team
  • The Leaf stars and/or goalie couldn't raise their level of play and close out the Bruins in 6 or 7
This team just isn't or wasn't ready yet to beat an elite team in a playoff series, I don't blame the coach, our young guys are not ready to win yet

Yes, but 4 straight 1st round exits won't be good for anybody no matter how you look at it, not for the players, not for the organization, and definitely not for Babcock. Think of it this way...if Babcock leads the team to another 1st round playoff exit this coming season, will Dubas bring him back so he could potentially lead the Leafs to a 5th straight 1st round exit?

Babcock will be gone if the Leafs lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again. The honeymoon is over, it's about getting playoff results now and winning.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yes, but 4 straight 1st round exits won't be good for anybody no matter how you look at it, not for the players, not for the organization, and definitely not for Babcock. Think of it this way...if Babcock leads the team to another 1st round playoff exit this coming season, will Dubas bring him back so he could potentially lead the Leafs to a 5th straight 1st round exit?

Babcock will be gone if the Leafs lose in the 1st round of the playoffs again. The honeymoon is over, it's about getting playoff results now and winning.

The Leafs goal is to win a Cup and not just win the first round of the playoffs, they have had a core of ELC forwards the last 3 years, and running into a team that won the Cup and another that just went to the finals, coaching is not an issue, think about it and have patience and use a bit of common sense

Reactions: teddygmr

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You see that as better?

Well see :) you think it's a coincidence Reilz had a career year with Hainsey? Ceci is hot garbage. Shmaltz is even worse. Harpwho? I like Barrie but willing to bet we lose him next season. As his agent will ask for the moon. Why not. It's Dubas. Imo we got much worse and next year is up in the air as to who will be back. So instability as well.

Brilliant

Play and pray, rental Dcore

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Leafs goal is to win a Cup and not just win the first round of the playoffs, they have had a core of ELC forwards the last 3 years, and running into a team that won the Cup and another that just went to the finals, coaching is not an issue, think about it and have patience and use a bit of common sense

You need to make it past the 1st round as a first step.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Let's look at the lineups.

Now:
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-X

Then:
Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Dermott

I'm not as high on Barrie as many others, so I think him instead of Gardiner is a rather lateral move. Ceci replacing Zaitsev is a lateral move. What we are left with is some of our depth pieces instead of Hainsey. That's looking like a downgrade. So just based on talent, I think we moved laterally. Any improvement is probably not significant, so I'm kind of with you here. If we run with both Ceci and Harpur, we might actually be worse.

However, I think the on-ice impact might be improved. For one, we replaced our #3LD for a #1RD, which means a redistribution of ice time towards better d-men. We no longer have our three worst d-men sharing half the ice time, we can give a large portion of that to Barrie. That makes a difference. We're also taking a step towards being a much harder team to read on the breakout, which has been an achilles heel for us. That helps too.

One thing important to keep in mind:

Unlike Hainsey, Zaitsev and Gardiner - Barrie has a deadly shot from the point and is an expert at getting pucks through. Our two top centers are fantastic at tipping pucks and finishing rebounds in front of the net. This will open up a brand new avenue of attack for our offense.

This newfound defensemen to forward chemistry will be huge, we will give opposing teams a whole other dimension to think about. We've lacked a legit point shot for so god damn long, people are gonna be ecstatic to see what it's like having one now. We're diversifying our already dangerous offense.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The team went from a rebuild right into the development stage and now retool all in 4 year time period ...

It took awhile for Dubas to announce that Babcock was coming back as head coach after the season ended...Babcock won't be so lucky with another 1st round exit.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Would you put up a fight arguing that the sky is blue?
Hmmm
sunrise-red-sea-Graham-Telford-e1489764712368.jpg

member 300185

Good luck with that around here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Turns our 5/6 LHD into a 6/7/8 RHD. A potentially positive move for lineup flexibility for the next season. My understanding is that Holl and Schmaltz may be carbon copies. Schmaltz has been waived through the league successfully last season. This may be the same as the 2018-19 goaltending hoard (McElhinney, Pickard) when it was hoped that one of the two make it through waivers at the end of camp (the Leafs probably won't be able to afford keeping an 8th defenseman on the roster next season).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Was this trade really necessary? It seems to me it's like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. It really won't change a thing for either team.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Leaf fan here. I come in peace.

STL fans,

What can Leaf fans expect from Schmaltz ?
Ehh, he seemed below average defensively. He is okay to above average at moving the puck. Had success in minors as offensive defensemen and the powerplay down there, but didnt get a chance at powerplay because he was 4th best option after dunn parayko and petro.

He possibly can develop to 3td pairing guy that can contribute to offense and powerplay. He will not be a guy you want on penalty kill or matching up against opposing 1st lines

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You see that as better?

Brilliant

If Ceci doesn't cut it they won't keep him all season. You could argue that Hainsey at $3.5M was still a better choice but there is obviously a chance that Ceci looks better after being rescued from the toilet and that 38 year old Hainsey just can't keep up any more. If Ceci is sucking at the TDL and they still keep him that would be awful but it hasn't happened yet.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If Ceci doesn't cut it they won't keep him all season. You could argue that Hainsey at $3.5M was still a better choice but there is obviously a chance that Ceci looks better after being rescued from the toilet and that 38 year old Hainsey just can't keep up any more. If Ceci is sucking at the TDL and they still keep him that would be awful but it hasn't happened yet.

It was pretty clear by Dubas talks that they wanted to keep Hainsey, but probably at around 2 million.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I'm sure you preferred the skillset of Martin Marincin or Justin Holl.

I keep up with them enough. I even watch more Marlies games than the average person. Borgman is a physical specimen.
Clearly you don't. You said you liked Borgman as our #6 on the Leafs this upcoming season, you obviously don't watch the Marlies. But nice try.

Borgman is made of glass

:laugh: hey relax. He watches more Marlies than regular folks! Makes me question why he's making such dumbass statements tho.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm sure you preferred the skillset of Martin Marincin or Justin Holl.

I keep up with them enough. I even watch more Marlies games than the average person. Borgman is a physical specimen.
He was pretty brutal last year for the Marlies. Injured a lot and when he played he was usually one of the worst defenceman. He was at best the 5th best Marlies defenceman last year, and Lindgren would've probably jumped him this year. But he throws hits I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad