Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] TOR acquires RD Jordan Schmaltz from STL for LD Andreas Borgman

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
St Louis needed a cheap guy who is happy playing 7/8th Dman. Dubas gets his right hand D depth he wanted along with Barrie. He said Liljegren(R) is close as well. I'm not worried that Dubas isn't fixing what he see as our weaknesses. But we need another Big winger and Hyman is injured and 28 now.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You see that as better?

Well see :) you think it's a coincidence Reilz had a career year with Hainsey? Ceci is hot garbage. Shmaltz is even worse. Harpwho? I like Barrie but willing to bet we lose him next season. As his agent will ask for the moon. Why not. It's Dubas. Imo we got much worse and next year is up in the air as to who will be back. So instability as well.

Brilliant
I love people who already create outcomes before they happen and then proceed to assign blame for their made up fantasy.

Agenda much?

Thanks for posting your extreme bias and narrow viewpoint.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I love people who already create outcomes before they happen and then proceed to assign blame for their made up fantasy.

Agenda much?

Not that I agree with him, but he may be right. It's a big gamble that could go either way.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ehh, he seemed below average defensively. He is okay to above average at moving the puck. Had success in minors as offensive defensemen and the powerplay down there, but didnt get a chance at powerplay because he was 4th best option after dunn parayko and petro.

He possibly can develop to 3td pairing guy that can contribute to offense and powerplay. He will not be a guy you want on penalty kill or matching up against opposing 1st lines

So essentially useless in today's NHL.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not that I agree with him, but he may be right. It's a big gamble that could go either way.
That I don't entirely disagree with. But doesn't it seem prudent to see how things play out first? Heading into July 1st, the Leafs had $3.5 million in cap space and Justin Holl as the only RD from the roster. The Leafs are a way better team today than at that time.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If Ceci doesn't cut it they won't keep him all season. You could argue that Hainsey at $3.5M was still a better choice but there is obviously a chance that Ceci looks better after being rescued from the toilet and that 38 year old Hainsey just can't keep up any more. If Ceci is sucking at the TDL and they still keep him that would be awful but it hasn't happened yet.

Just like Sparks.....he's taking an unnecessary risk. Giving up a sure thing (veteran with a cup) to roll the dice. This gamble has more upside I agree. But I don't like it.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Agenda much?

Isn't that what we all do here?

We armchair GM. Sorry I'm good at it :)

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
who?

We had Rielly, Muzzin, Harpur, Gravel and Sandin ahead of him on the depth chart, the guy was literally going to be the Marlies 6th D and probably be scratched for 20+ games anyway.

borgman is better than harpur and gravel. and sandin isnt starting the season with the leafs.
so yeah he had a great shot of making the opening night roster.

What value does Borgman really have though? I agree hes probably the better player but it wasn't like he was going to bring back a 3rd round pick or anything close to that.

Imo this is probably Dubas doing a favour to the player/agent because he wasn't going to get any icetime with the Leafs

nah i have a feeling this is 100% a babcock request. I think last year and this summer he sent a message to management even though borgs is probably better than most of the guys playing on that 3rd unit all year. (especially marincin and ozi, those guys were garbage)

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
borgman is better than harpur and gravel. and sandin isnt starting the season with the leafs.
so yeah he had a great shot of making the opening night roster.
You watched zero games post injury?

He was likely to be the 6th D on the Marlies, the guy saying he would have likely been the 6D on the Leafs is an idiot.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I don't care if a guy gets 0 goals and 0 assists. I just want him to be able to play good D, do some penalty kill and play tough. I would have tried to grab Jake Dotchin as a free agent before he signed with St Louis on a 1-year, 2-way contract for 700,000 rather than trade for St Louis's scraps.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't care if a guy gets 0 goals and 0 assists. I just want him to be able to play good D, do some penalty kill and play tough. I would have tried to grab Jake Dotchin as a free agent before he signed with St Louis on a 1-year, 2-way contract for 700,000 rather than trade for St Louis's scraps.

Dotchin is overrated and reckless. I don't want him anywhere near the Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Schmaltz is super terrible fwiw, and I rarely refer to any player in that manner.

I know. I'm not a fan of offensive defensemen, and I didn't even like him when he somewhat looked good. Last year he was absolutely terrible, but he was also stuck on the worst team in the NHL when he was up, only to get sent down to the worst team in the AHL before the Blues actually started to be good.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
St Louis needed a cheap guy who is happy playing 7/8th Dman. Dubas gets his right hand D depth he wanted along with Barrie. He said Liljegren(R) is close as well. I'm not worried that Dubas isn't fixing what he see as our weaknesses. But we need another Big winger and Hyman is injured and 28 now.

They are going to have expansion draft issues already. They can only keep 3 of Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie and Dermott on D. Only 7 forwards so Marner, AM, JT, Willie, KK, Johnsson, Kerfoot with Hyman expiring so they don't need to use a slot on him. Adding another vet means exposing a forward in the X draft they don't want to. They either need deal one of their 7 regular forwards, to acquire someone who doesn't need to be protected, or try and make a useful add for someone with a two year shelf life. I could maybe see one of Willie, Kap or AJ moving for a more physical player in their spot, but that seems like something he would maybe consider over the summer at earliest. I don't think KD is a believer in heavy hockey but maybe 10 or so games in he makes a move involving one of the non core group.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think Schmaltz beats out Holl as our 7th D. It’s clear that babs has no trust in Holl, as evident by playing Call-up Martin marincin over him

Reactions: qqaz and teddygmr

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think Schmaltz beats out Holl as our 7th D. It’s clear that babs has no trust in Holl, as evident by playing Call-up Martin marincin over him

Holl just got drafted and they have a no rush policy with young Dmen.. for example Dermott.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Dotchin is overrated and reckless. I don't want him anywhere near the Leafs.
It’s not that he is reckless, it is that he tried to injure our guys (and other teams guys). Here’s hoping he gets kicked out of the league.

I agree with the other poster - Dotchin is better than Schmaltz from a pure on-ice standpoint. Definitely wouldn't bring him to the leafs’ locker room tho

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
You watched zero games post injury?

He was likely to be the 6th D on the Marlies, the guy saying he would have likely been the 6D on the Leafs is an idiot.

you judging a guy based on 6 regular season games post injury and not the 1.5 to 2 years of prior AHL experience ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad