Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
My hot take is that at least 2 of these guys will emerge as top 4 defensemen by the end of next season. Dermott already is in my book, and Sandin and Lehtonen, although unproven, seem to have the tools to make that push if the opportunity presents itself.
Dermott isn't a true top 4 to me. He plays a liiiiiittle faster than he thinks with the puck. The decision making errors that come with that keeps him as a 5 for me. He's got the skills and physical tools to be in that top-4 if he can learn to slow the game down a little I think he's right there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dermott isn't a true top 4 to me. He plays a liiiiiittle faster than he thinks with the puck. The decision making errors that come with that keeps him as a 5 for me. He's got the skills and physical tools to be in that top-4 if he can learn to slow the game down a little I think he's right there.

I thought he looked better and then last year it was like ... where is the progression?

Reactions: Duffman955

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I thought he looked better and then last year it was like ... where is the progression?
His progress was curtailed by the season ending shoulder injury he had the year before that took 6 months to recover from, and then he was thrust in once the season was well underway. He was significantly better as the season wore on, and was at one point the #1LD when Rielly and Muzzin were out together for a fairly long stretch.

He's also proven and under control, going back to your other post......

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
His progress was curtailed by the season ending shoulder injury he had the year before that took 6 months to recover from, and then he was thrust in once the season was well underway. He was significantly better as the season wore on, and was at one point the #1LD when Rielly and Muzzin were out together for a fairly long stretch.

He's also proven and under control, going back to your other post......

He had 1 good week when Rielly and Muzzin were injured.

Other than that he was absolutely garbage when playing as a top 4 Dman. Especially in the playoffs

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Other than that he was absolutely garbage when playing as a top 4 Dman. Especially in the playoffs
And who was he playing with as a partner?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Dermott was basically slotted in next to Holl and they played the shutdown role after Muzzin and Rielly went down.

How did they perform?

xGF% was an amazing 57.27% but offence completely dried up (due to a microscopic shooting %). Most importantly, how were their D numbers as the "shutdown" pair?

Ozone starts: 40%

Expected goals against/60: 1.7

Actual goals against/60: 0.83

Pretty damn incredible actually.

The D really did an amazing job this year battling through all the injuries and shoddy goalkeeping really.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dermott was basically slotted in next to Holl and they played the shutdown role after Muzzin and Rielly went down.

How did they perform?

xGF% was an amazing 57.27% but offence completely dried up (due to a microscopic shooting %). Most importantly, how were their D numbers as the "shutdown" pair?

The D really did an amazing job this year battling through all the injuries and shoddy goalkeeping really.

I'm curious internally if he's viewed more valuable compared to Liljegren. Especially if management gets into a situation where one of them gets moved (presuming Sandin is untouchable)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

How did they perform?

Amazing except that miserable transition game, no offense from the back end and endless cycling by Columbus around the Leafs net etc.

Holl and Dermott are slightly above AHL calibre players. Bottom pairing guys with limited hockey IQ and generally poor at taking the puck away from the other team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How are Liljegren and Sandin doing in the SHL right now, as we all know the Leafs' have been super dooper awesome with their development and would never have them go like 9 months without playing a hockey game?
You previously said they were horrible with development because they kept them as potential options to get playoff experience instead of giving them more time to do off-season training. Now, they're horrible with development because they are giving them more time to do off-season training? Hmm..

Reactions: LeafChief

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't want to misrepresent you, but didn't you say it was better for Sandin to work out and build mass for next season rather than play hockey and stay in game shape?

Yes, I did - from March onward when he would have time – 8 months - to do it properly and come back next season with a much higher likelihood of making an impact on the team. But the team, knowing that they healthy scratched him for 2 of the final 4 regular season games because he was not big enough or strong enough, instead had him stay in game shape so he could suit up for the pre-game skate of one play-in game. Complete wasted opportunity - but par for the course with this team.

I would assume that he is doing it now, but in a much-shortened period of time which will make it far less effective.

Some young players have had 8 months to take advantage of the best opportunity they will ever have in their lives to come back bigger and stronger. Leafs fans will see these massive improvements and then blame their own young players for not improving.

Other players didn't have that opportunity, but they actually….. played ….. hockey games.

But Toronto is so completely brain dead that they did neither. They could have even had him add mass and strength for 5 months and then play in the SHL – but that would have required the team ensure that they make the players’ development the top priority (which incidentally Dubas has said that good developing teams do exactly that with their young high-end prospects – and then did the opposite as GM).

Dahlin is going to be coming back 10+ lbs bigger. But also stronger and faster. He will likely progress from being a PP QB who was largely sheltered at ES – 3rd pairing minutes, low QoC, high OZ starts last season, to a 1st pairing D who is used in all situations next season. That wasn’t going to happen with Sandin, but he could have progressed to someone who was bordering on being top-4. Instead he probably won’t earn a roster spot. No one would have thought that would have been a possibility a year ago, especially for a 19/20 year-old D who should be developing at an extremely rapid pace, but that is how incredibly incompetent this team is.

But none of that is my point. Poster after poster on here - including the person I was responding to - felt that for their development - Liljegren and Sandin should be playing in the SHL this fall – but now complete 180 because all that matters is supporting God Dubas.

If putting on mass and gaining strength is more important than playing games now - which people have apparently come around to now because their views are always completely in-line with whatever Dubas does - then it sure as f*** was definitely far more important than completely wasting 5 months starting in March so the player could – maybe – be the injury backup to the injury backup for a team in which management recognized had so little chances of accomplishing anything in the playoffs that they threw in the towel after the Ayres loss.

I was a big supporter of Dubas before almost anyone else on here was. I was a supporter because I had read and listened to the things he said. He is not a stupid person. Among other things, he knows how good teams develop high-end prospects and he also knows the ways in which bad teams harm development to satisfy immediate team needs. And yet since becoming GM the Leafs have developed Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren in the exact opposite way from how Dubas knows prospects should be developed. In the future, Toronto fans will understand how badly and thoroughly their teams’ management screwed up a situation that was so enviable. All the signs are already there.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's one of the reasons. They simply were unable to move the puck efficiently to the forwards or keep any cycle going in the offensive zone. Asking Holl to replace injured Barrie offensively wasn't realistic.

Haven't you heard? Andy, Kadri and our PK are the reasons why we have lost in the playoffs. Our shitty D is next followed by our bottom 6 and Babs, let's not forget Babs.

Honourable mention goes to Lou.

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
Haven't you heard? Andy, Kadri and our PK are the reasons why we have lost in the playoffs. Our shitty D is next followed by our bottom 6 and Babs, let's not forget Babs.

Honourable mention goes to Lou.

Yes all true but you forgot the biggest culprit of them all......LOU.
A lot of fans still say his mess was too much for poor Dubas to clean up and it led to the team going backwards instead of progressing.

Reactions: ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's one of the reasons. They simply were unable to move the puck efficiently to the forwards or keep any cycle going in the offensive zone. Asking Holl to replace injured Barrie offensively wasn't realistic.
They filled the role that was expected of them, and then some. They were not the reason we lost in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

He's undersized and gets muscled around a lot, then takes dumb penalties.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
What do you guys think are Lehtonen’s chances of making the opening day roster for Toronto this coming season?

Judging by his play overseas, pretty good. His willingness to play RHD helps his chances, but whether or not he's competent there in the NHL is the question. Ceci's gone so that's 20 minutes of ice-time available for one of these D to take.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Judging by his play overseas, pretty good. His willingness to play RHD helps his chances, but whether or not he's competent there in the NHL is the question. Ceci's gone so that's 20 minutes of ice-time available for one of these D to take.
Looks like we may circle back with Ceci by all accounts. One can only hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad