Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That would mean Dubas only has to find one top 3 defender who can play RD for the squad.

Rielly - newguy
Muzzin - Lehtonen/Holl
Dermott - Holl/Lehtontn
Tell me more about newguy. Scouting report?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tell me more about newguy. Scouting report?

6'4", 226 lbs.

Skates like the wind, sometimes takes a badly timed penalty as he pummels some forward into submission.

3 minutes a night PK
1.5 minutes a night PP

22 minutes a night.

Speaks Russian, Swedish Svenska, Finnish and English.

26 years old, under contract for the next 5 years at 5.5.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
My hot take is that at least 2 of these guys will emerge as top 4 defensemen by the end of next season. Dermott already is in my book, and Sandin and Lehtonen, although unproven, seem to have the tools to make that push if the opportunity presents itself.

The opportunity won't present itself. Lehtonen might get lucky enough to play on the right. Dermott and/or Sandin might get lucky enough to get traded. Dermott is a bottom pairing D because the Leafs' have spent three seasons developing him to be a sheltered 3rd pairing D. He might become a top-4 D if he is traded to a team that cares about his development. If they keep Sandin on the big club he will go no where for the same reasons. If the Leafs' demote him to the AHL next year after he spent 28 games in the NHL at 19, his comparables are Connor Carrick, Mathieu Biron, Steve McCarthy and Mirco Mueller.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The opportunity won't present itself. Lehtonen might get lucky enough to play on the right. Dermott and/or Sandin might get lucky enough to get traded. Dermott is a bottom pairing D because the Leafs' have spent three seasons developing him to be a sheltered 3rd pairing D. He might become a top-4 D if he is traded to a team that cares about his development. If they keep Sandin on the big club he will go no where for the same reasons. If the Leafs' demote him to the AHL next year after he spent 28 games in the NHL at 19, his comparables are Connor Carrick, Mathieu Biron, Steve McCarthy and Mirco Mueller.
I live for these hyperbolic takes.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I live for these hyperbolic takes.

Sweet. How are Liljegren and Sandin doing in the SHL right now, as we all know the Leafs' have been super dooper awesome with their development and would never have them go like 9 months without playing a hockey game?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Sweet. How are Liljegren and Sandin doing in the SHL right now, as we all know the Leafs' have been super dooper awesome with their development and would never have them go like 9 months without playing a hockey game?
Yes - all players that didn't go overseas are doomed.

I can't imagine what will happen with the 7 teams that didn't make the playoffs. May as well fold! Sweet!

Reactions: Dekes For Days

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yes - all players that didn't go overseas are doomed.

I can't imagine what will happen with the 7 teams that didn't make the playoffs. May as well fold! Sweet!

Non-playoff teams: Were are really concerned about our players not playing for 9 months.
Leafs' fans up until a couple weeks ago: Liljegren and Sandin should play in the SHL so they don't go 9 months between playing.
Exact same Leafs' fans now: We change our minds completely to support whatever Dubas does at all times.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Non-playoff teams: Were are really concerned about our players not playing for 9 months.
Leafs' fans up until a couple weeks ago: Liljegren and Sandin should play in the SHL so they don't go 9 months between playing.
Exact same Leafs' fans now: We change our minds completely to support whatever Dubas does at all times.
Couldn’t agree with you more .The Silly people on this board should be attacking you soon .Dubas could tell them the sky was falling and they believe him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I couldn't really understand your post due to the incoherence.

If not playing in games for 9 months is going to ruin only Liljegren and Sandin, there is a problem for sure. I'm just curious how they are the only two prospects in the league that will be effected by this.

I guess all the Habs fans that were excited about Romanov should pack it in. He didn't go back to Russia so he's done. Brannstrom didn't go back to Sweden. His career is over. Which European league is Bowen Byram playing in? RIP NHL.

giphy.gif

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't want to misrepresent you, but didn't you say it was better for Sandin to work out and build mass for next season rather than play hockey and stay in game shape?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That would mean Dubas only has to find one top 3 defender who can play RD for the squad.

Rielly - newguy
Muzzin - Lehtonen/Holl
Dermott - Holl/Lehtontn

I would think Dermott could also move to the RD.

I am not sure we get Pietrangelo. It is possible, but it is not the same as Tavares, and there are many other guys who fit the long term and short term goals of the Leafs better than Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo seems more like a short term move.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would think Dermott could also move to the RD.

I am not sure we get Pietrangelo. It is possible, but it is not the same as Tavares, and there are many other guys who fit the long term and short term goals of the Leafs better than Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo seems more like a short term move.

Not sure Pietrangelo could be a short term move, unless you think 6 years is short term?

Time flies, but odds are he would be on the longest contract on the team.

Anyway, I'm hoping it isn't Pietrangelo but something else no one is talking about.

Lehtonen and Dermott would both be on the off-wing if they play RD.

Some can do it, obviously as there are fewer right shot defenders in the league.

Hoping one of Dermott / Lehtonen are good enough to play above bottom pairing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What do you guys think are Lehtonen’s chances of making the opening day roster for Toronto this coming season?

It is pretty much his to lose unless management grabs a couple defenders in free agency.

I'm guessing he's below Rielly and Muzzin but in the group below that. With Ceci and Barrie gone the Leafs defense is bottom of the league as far as proven ability goes.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It is pretty much his to lose unless management grabs a couple defenders in free agency.

I'm guessing he's below Rielly and Muzzin but in the group below that. With Ceci and Barrie gone the Leafs defense is bottom of the league as far as proven ability goes.
Tampa has only 3 D signed for next season. Ottawa has Chabot and Zaitsev, plus 2 tweeners. Boston is losing Krug and Chara, plus Carlo is on the block. Calgary only has 3 D signed too. Detroit has 4 signed, led by Marc Staal and Danny DeKeyser.

I definitely wouldn't be so quick to hand that title to the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tampa has only 3 D signed for next season. Ottawa has Chabot and Zaitsev, plus 2 tweeners. Boston is losing Krug and Chara, plus Carlo is on the block. Calgary only has 3 D signed too. Detroit has 4 signed, led by Marc Staal and Danny DeKeyser.

I definitely wouldn't be so quick to hand that title to the Leafs.

Tampa controls 5 defenders though, who have proven themselves at the highest level.
Detroit and Ottawa are bottom of the league.
Boston may have Carlo on the block but they still have him and I thought Chara said he's returning?

Toronto has Muzzin who has won something, and Rielly who has tried and then really nothing.

But we do have hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad