Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope he turns into a bonafide NHL defenceman. The fact he’s actually playing should bode well for this season.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Very high hopes for this lad.
I believe he can slot in the 3rd line immediately, and depending on the way he adapts to the NHL, he can give Riely a run for his money, since Muzzin´s toolset is a different animal altogether. Worst case scenario, he plays on our bottom 6. Best case scenario, he can slot up the top 2 pairs at a moments notice. Depth on our defensive left side is looking really good this year.

Reactions: Dominance

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I watched parts of his game today. Man he is good. I really wanted to zero in on his defensive ability but the problem is that he's so good, he's rarely every defending. Once he has the puck, he's a one man transition team...either with a perfect outlet pass, or just gets on his horse and skates it out with ease.

I am still very skeptical of his transition to the NHL. I've been burned too many times from these top KHL defenders with rave reviews only to come here and poop the bed.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It’s exciting but a little impressive when you scroll down the list and see Igor Ozhiganov not that far from the top
I seen that too ha. The nice plays you see from clips from Lehtonen are common play from him. He always has the same jump. He won’t be able to roam all over the ice like he does with Keefe right away so I definitely wouldn’t expect great numbers from him right away. Thats his comfort level right now with a team he’s used to. Keefe will have to figure him out and vice versa. Complete pass having to produce for a couple months or 3 when he gets here. Long as he plays good defense and transitions the puck well and finishes his checks I’m good.

Last edited:

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
19-20 season
upload_2020-10-13_17-37-9.png

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Zaitsev worked out great coming free from the KHL, his second contract was too much $$$ was the only problem. Hopefully Lehtonen has a season that makes people consider him giving him a second contract for anywhere in the ballpark of what they gave Zaitsev.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
One question...

Once the NHL season date is announced and confirmed, will Lethonen just stop playing for his team in the KHL?

Don't want a scenario where he plays 30+ games in the KHL then 70+ in the NHL.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I am still very skeptical of his transition to the NHL. I've been burned too many times from these top KHL defenders with rave reviews only to come here and poop the bed.

He's real. I also think he's bigger than the 6'0" he's listed as...he has a pretty good reach.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He is replacing Dermott?
What do you mean. I would think he will replace Liljigren. Sandin and Liljigren were just bought developing time with the Marlies with the free agen signings.The Marlies are going to be good this year with a high quality defense

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He is the best dman in the khl. He should be ok.
I see Oz and some other familiar names on the list, as well.

Who knows how he’ll do in the NHL, but we can certainly be hopeful based on what we are hearing from NHL scouts and people associated with the Leafs.
I’m not listening to anything the Mirtles and Siegels of the world have to say about him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We're all full up here.

We can keep discussing him is some of the ongoing roster threads or keep updating in the prospect/in the system thread.

/Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad