Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Very mildly annoyed at the whole situation. Young guys saying how much they like it in TO, how good the team is, that they want to keep the core together and bringing a Cup here is their dream. Management facilitates that with a $77M contract for John Tavares. Nylander squeezes them literally as hard as possible. Matthews pushes for UFA value on an RFA contract, makes zero concessions to the team. Now Marner and his family say he's worth every cent Matthews got. Christ.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
McDavid taking a discount then having his team get WORSE with that discount probably played a role. No way the agents let Matthews do it to that extent.

If I was Matthews I would have made a big song and dance about trimming a little money off the top like McDavid did

I love money but if the fans think your "gready" and your not playing like an absolute stud there going to make your life miserable, **** that

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Perhaps, but I can't think of any examples of teams resigning their 1st OA pick and being upset about it. Can you think of any?

Would we be happier not having him signed at all? Having another hold out or worse?

I find it sad that after years of being bottom feeders we finally have some terrific young players, and half the fanbase can't enjoy it because their wringing their hands over a salary cap issue that may or may not happen.
Yup, people will lose their minds over a few dollars, when in the future it will be irrelevant when salary cap will be rising because of a new team coming in, increase revenue, tv deals, etc.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps, but I can't think of any examples of teams resigning their 1st OA pick and being upset about it. Can you think of any?

Would we be happier not having him signed at all? Having another hold out or worse?

I find it sad that after years of being bottom feeders we finally have some terrific young players, and half the fanbase can't enjoy it because their wringing their hands over a salary cap issue that may or may not happen.

i would have liked, our general manager to sign a deal that benefits the team. i don't see how cutting 3 years off a deal benefits us, and I don't see how matthews making that much money for less years benefits us. I don't understand why everything has to be black and white. there is a whole sea of gray to muddle through.

I am happy we have terrific players.
i'm not happy that Dubas seems to do whatever he is doing cap wise with them.

i don't understand why a lot of people always feel that we should just ignore there could be a potential salary cap situation that can prevent us from winning. long term as if you can't think about that - while being happy that we have a good team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Ya, it's a damn shame many leafs fans are smart enough to see how horrid Melanders and Mytthews deals are and what it means for our future.

We will have to gut this roster thanks to greed before we have won a damn thing.

Reactions: TheOneArmedMan

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Ya, it's a damn shame many leafs fans are smart enough to see how horrid Melanders and Mytthews deals are and what it means for our future.

We will have to gut this roster thanks to greed before we have won a damn thing.
Why do you care so much when you know your Bruins are one click away? LOL

Reactions: Gallagbi

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How does that affect his production though? If Oilers stack their first line, wouldn't that be beneficial to McDavid? Better support cast has to do winning the actual game, not point production. McDavid is the best player in the world, thus he gets a lot of touches and makes a lot of plays. Because of how stacked the leafs are, Matthews actually gets less touches with the puck. Just look the PP for example, where Marner controls the plays. The only time Matthews has a chance is for those cross-ice pass or shot in the slot. I would actually be interested if having more star players would actually decrease your point production because of how many fewer touches you get per game...

Thats the thing though; McDavid doesn't play on a stacked line; if he did his production would be through the roof

that said, who are oilers going to stack McDavid line with?

Draisatil-McDavid-RNH
?

In the end, hockey is about winning the game; oilers don't stack McDavid line and opposition knows that if they stop McDavid they basically stop Oilers

If opposition stops Matthews; do they stop Marner line? Kadri line? Nope!

Opposition's plan for teh Leafs changes signficnatly compared to when they are playing oilers

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What a bunch of blowhards and whiners on here. We finally have some legit young players and now everyone is squabbling about the contracts they signed.

The landscape has changed, our window is 5 years, let’s enjoy the ride and quit your bellyaching

Reactions: Budz22

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Very mildly annoyed at the whole situation. Young guys saying how much they like it in TO, how good the team is, that they want to keep the core together and bringing a Cup here is their dream. Management facilitates that with a $77M contract for John Tavares. Nylander squeezes them literally as hard as possible. Matthews pushes for UFA value on an RFA contract, makes zero concessions to the team. Now Marner and his family say he's worth every cent Matthews got. Christ.

And 93% of Matthews' contract is based on bonuses...what other NHL teams could do this...ffs...he gets paid upfront money and doesn't even give a cent back.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

You took the worst nickname in board history and just doubled down. So lame.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
lmao.

says the guy who looks only at Total Points.

Production is basically the whole measure. You produce or you do not. The rest of it is just nickels and dimes for FO% and other BS that you spew although if Dubas is like you, he'll use advanced metrics and crash and burn in a glorious train-wreck while chasing the dream. Unfortunately I believe that Dubas listens to advanced stats and pins values to them and that's why guys like Nylander got 7m for a mere 6 years. If he were actually a smart GM he would have noticed that the league changes increased league scoring, noted that Nylander regressed in production measure despite padding his advanced stats.

Psst. Nylander does things that increase advanced stats intentionally because he has been taught how to be an advanced stats guru by his old man. Not knocking Nylander but he gets the game in the game. Good player for sure.

Reactions: PromisedLand

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Enlighten me......what does it mean for our future? And please be as specific as you can be.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What a bunch of blowhards and whiners on here. We finally have some legit young players and now everyone is squabbling about the contracts they signed.

The landscape has changed, our window is 5 years, let’s enjoy the ride and quit your bellyaching
It certainly has now.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They dont realize you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Dubas is trying, but these guys dont really care about helping him out. We'll see how it all plays out.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
no offense but who the F is this jeff vitale and why should i give a **** about what he tweets?

does he have a PHD in math and stats; awarded and recognized academically such that his "50+ era adjusted stats" be glorified?
Rumour has it, if you type his name three times he appears on hfboards.

Just kidding, you only need to type it once.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
58m
vs.
14*8=112m

Did Austin Matthews give up 50m to keep the core together and give Leafs multiple chances at cups?

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Thats the thing though; McDavid doesn't play on a stacked line; if he did his production would be through the roof

that said, who are oilers going to stack McDavid line with?

Draisatil-McDavid-RNH
?

In the end, hockey is about winning the game; oilers don't stack McDavid line and opposition knows that if they stop McDavid they basically stop Oilers

If opposition stops Matthews; do they stop Marner line? Kadri line? Nope!

Opposition's plan for teh Leafs changes signficnatly compared to when they are playing oilers
Yes, leafs have a better supporting cast which means they are more likely to win a game than the Oilers. However, i'm talking about individual point production. McDavid plays nearly 23 minutes per game because he is the only remarkable scorer they have so he gets a lot of touches. How many minutes does Matthews get? 18 minutes because they have the benefit of bigger star cast. Now, I'm more interested in whether because he is not nearly relied upon, how much does it affect his scoring? Marner gets a lot of touches when he plays on the PP. Matthews nearly doesn't get anywhere close as does Tavares. I don't think it's any secret that when you play on a bottom team and are a premier star player you will get more points. Now, I don't have any hard fact evidence to back this, but i would be interested if having more star players decreases your point production. I know it does for NBA players, but I wonder if the same would apply to NHL players...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They dont realize you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Dubas is trying, but these guys dont really care about helping him out. We'll see how it all plays out.

Well, if they don't perform up to expectations, they could be traded since alot of money is paid out in signing bonuses.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Leaf nation has lost its collective minds

Relax people we have Tavares Matthews and Kadri down the middle. We have Rielly on D and we have Nylander on the wing and we have Andersen on goal. We have them all for the next 4 playoffs at least.

That's an awesome place to be.

Enjoy the ride boys and girls. We are going to make waves in the postseason

:banana::banana::banana:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, leafs have a better supporting cast which means they are more likely to win a game than the Oilers. However, i'm talking about individual point production. McDavid plays nearly 23 minutes per game because he is the only remarkable scorer they have so he gets a lot of touches. How many minutes does Matthews get? 18 minutes because they have the benefit of bigger star cast. Now, I'm more interested in whether because he is not nearly relied upon, how much does it affect his scoring? Marner gets a lot of touches when he plays on the PP. Matthews nearly doesn't get anywhere close as does Tavares. I don't think it's any secret that when you play on a bottom team and are a premier star player you will get more points. Now, I don't have any hard fact evidence to back this, but i would be interested if having more star players decreases your point production. I know it does for NBA players, but I wonder if the same would apply to NHL players...
Do you honestly think Matthews could handle McDavid minutes and McDavid usage? He's lazy playing 18 minutes now, especially lately.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Did I hear on TSN that no team with a $10.0M player has ever won the Cup?

If true, our Leafs may already be ****ed this season. And, our Leafs will surely be ****ed next season with 3 players making north of $10.0M!
LOL. This is a chicken shit BS comment by TSN designed to inflame, and it worked. Prior to this current season, there were 3 (three, trois, tres) players who were making over $10 million. Kane/Toews, and Kopitar. All players from recent cup winning teams as well.

Soooooo gullible.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Would you have thought that was a good deal last summer? Because I don't remember anyone thinking 11.6+ over 5 years was a good deal. I don't even remember anyone thinking that 11.6+ over 8 was a good deal.

I think that it was the only deal that could be made. If not, he would have waited for an OS, and undoubtedly would have received an OS of at least that much. So it was a deal of necessity, but it is still bad.
Yeah, I think its a solid deal

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Yep this..... what 'help' did this contract do for the leafs other than signing it early? Lockout protected, short term, huge dollars...... oh thanks I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad