Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Do you honestly think Matthews could handle McDavid minutes and McDavid usage? He's lazy playing 18 minutes now, especially lately.
Yes, I think so. No i don't think he's lazy, just a bit inconsistent. But there would no doubt that increasing his ice time would result in an increase production. However, leafs would have no reason to do so since we are not a one line team and have the benefit of a better supporting cast.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You guys have to accept the Leafs have to pay a premium to attract players. The taxes and the city are one thing but the media is relentless and the fanbase is not the brightest collection.

Reactions: ORRFForever

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
And 93% of Matthews' contract is based on bonuses...what other NHL teams could do this...ffs...he gets paid upfront money and doesn't even give a cent back.

That's a bargaining chip. A good negotiator uses it as leverage. Dubas handed the massive signing bonuses out like candy and got 0 concessions in return. Obscene.

Im happy Matthews is a leaf but this was a sub optimal result for the orginization and fans. He wouldn't take a discount as an RFA, he sure as hell will not when he's a 26 year old UFA entering his prime, with an NMC in that final walk year to boot. Jeeeeeeez, what a damper.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
no offense but who the F is this jeff vitale and why should i give a **** about what he tweets?

does he have a PHD in math and stats; awarded and recognized academically such that his "50+ era adjusted stats" be glorified?
Who the f*** gives a f*** about your opinion?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Matthews did what's best for him. I don't like how he keeps on saying they want to win the cup and keep the core together. He got a big contact and when it's up, he'll be 26 years old and be in line for an even larger contract. I think he maximized he's earning perfectly, kudos to his agent. I don't see how this deal favors the Leafs in anyway. Oh, but if it were 8 years, he would've signed for 13 million? I don't blame the players, but don't say stuff like, "we want to keep the core together"

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yes, I think so. No i don't think he's lazy, just a bit inconsistent. But there would no doubt that increasing his ice time would result in an increase production. However, leafs would have no reason to do so since we are not a one line team and have the benefit of a better supporting cast.
He could handle a bit more time, it takes a special player to play 23+ a night and I don't see it in Matthews . Not high quality minutes like McDavid puts in.

Not a shot at Matthews, just highlights how special McDavid is.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You guys have to accept the Leafs have to pay a premium to attract players. The taxes and the city are one thing but the media is relentless and the fanbase is not the brightest collection.

The fanbase would be fine if the management wasn't so dumb. How many years has this Organization failed for? 50+? The dumb dumbs don't say anything if you are winning, the best protection is winning and that includes at contracts etc.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yes, leafs have a better supporting cast which means they are more likely to win a game than the Oilers. However, i'm talking about individual point production. McDavid plays nearly 23 minutes per game because he is the only remarkable scorer they have so he gets a lot of touches.

How many minutes does Matthews get? 18 minutes because they have the benefit of bigger star cast. Now, I'm more interested in whether because he is not nearly relied upon, how much does it affect his scoring?

Marner gets a lot of touches when he plays on the PP. Matthews nearly doesn't get anywhere close as does Tavares. I don't think it's any secret that when you play on a bottom team and are a premier star player you will get more points. Now, I don't have any hard fact evidence to back this, but i would be interested if having more star players decreases your point production. I know it does for NBA players, but I wonder if the same would apply to NHL players...

Playing more leads to more points can be argued in two different ways:

1. Absolute terms - total production goes up as the player gets more ice-time sure I can see that

2. Relative Terms - points/ice-time (standardized to pts/60); one can aruge that playing 23 mins a game versus 18 mins a game over time can lead to fatigue; and if one player still maintains that pts/60 pace with more ice-time then it is more impressive.

with less ice-time and higher QoT (this includes puck movers from backend like Rielly/Gardiner) one can have short bursts of high energy shifts and has a higher probability to score than someone who exerts more energy on ice with lower QoT of line-mates (i.e. 5 man unit)

Depending however you view it; one or two McDavid's production is more impressive than Matthews

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If anything the Media has been very kind to Matthews.

It's a world class city and they paid all bonuses to avoid high taxes

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The fanbase would be fine if the management wasn't so dumb. How many years has this Organization failed for? 50+? The dumb dumbs don't say anything if you are winning, the best protection is winning and that includes at contracts etc.

No they wouldn’t.....y’all hate to see someone make money. Always have always will.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
He could handle a bit more time, it takes a special player to play 23+ a night and I don't see it in Matthews . Not high quality minutes like McDavid puts in.

Not a shot at Matthews, just highlights how special McDavid is.
I mean, if Schiefele, P Kane, Barkov, Kopitar and Draisaitl can play 22 minutes, Matthews certainly can. It wouldn't be smart to do so since Leafs have no reason to do so.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This is a great deal now that I’ve thought about it more, people are going to start noticing that 8 year contracts will become less common in favour for 5-6 year terms, teams are getting smarter with locking things in for too long.

Leafs will be remembered as the first team to start this trend of responsibility and smarts.

Marner will get 5-6 years too and it will be OKAY, let’s not stress and enjoy this group for the next 5-6 years because special things could happen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No they wouldn’t.....y’all hate to see someone make money. Always have always will.

I don't think a single person argued 11m for JT. Not a single soul on this board. The people aren't dumb, the organization that hires guys like Nonnis to run the show or lets the board walk over them. It's not some shock that when we had Stavros we were both winning, excited about the team etc, when they sold to the TPP, it was done and Bell Rogers is another big messy ownership.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
We sure cannot pay our support players now. And even some core players will be let go down the road. So Sundin was never given good wingers, but Matthews decided himself that he can produce with AHL lvl guys on his line. Good luck with that. He should have spoken to our old C to get an idea how that thing feels. Lol. Matthews with all due respect is not McDavid. He should be paid that on 8 years deal, not just for rfa years. What a terrible deal. Period. /thread

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Bad deal. Not horrible, but looking at comparables in Eichel and McDavid this is bad.

Pay insane AAV AND get only 5 years AND 93% of the $$ is bonus.

As someone else has said what exactly did Dubas negotiate?

At that AAV it should have been 7 at least.

He is not better than/equal to McDavid when you compare the accolades.

Reactions: glue and Gallagbi

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ah man, I have so many responses to this it's unbelievable.

I'm a cop. If I chose money over success, I wouldn't be doing what I do.

Thank you for your service.

But to lose respect over a guy making money on his God given talent seems a bit harsh.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ah man, I have so many responses to this it's unbelievable.

I'm a cop. If I chose money over success, I wouldn't be doing what I do.

Fair enough and you're right. He took money for sure as the rest of the kids seem set out to do. It's a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad