Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
That is comparison without context

Matthews has a MUCH BETTER supporting cast than McDavid.

The comparison to McDavid without context is pure failure

McDavid's had Draisaitl as his wing for the past couple of seasons. Matthews had Nylander. Tell me how exactly McDavid has a better supporting cast. Why should it affect him if his 3rd line is dog****?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This has to be the only fanbase in all of sports that whines and complains when their team signs its marquee young star player to a contract extension.

Greatest fans in the world. :biglaugh:

Strange indeed. We were warned this would happen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You were using age left on current deals to compare salary allocation. Making the point you are getting Matthews, etc. for their salaries at their age as opposed to the Tampa salaries at their ages. My point was look at what Kucherov's salary was at through those ages, Stamkos' and Hedman's. It wasn't 11.634. What do you think the salary on Matthews and Marner (if we can keep them) will look like on their 3rd contracts?

there's upside and downside.

they're going to be stuck paying all those guys in their 30s by the time we even have to negotiate with Rielly.

Reactions: AreBe

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So I think the one caveat about this deal is that unlike in the past, there will be less of an increase when you get to the UFA years. Matthews may ask for a larger slice now, but he's not suddenly going to get the type of increase a typical RFA gets. He's already making his UFA money now, and when his UFA days come, he's going to continue to make close to this percentage. He may even make less than this percentage (ie. takes a 13.4x8 year deal, which will probably be a lower percentage in 5 years than he's getting now). Unless a team wants to seriously handicap their team or has little to no other star talent. That is ultimately what happened with Malkin and Crosby after their 5 year deals, or like Stamkos who just stayed at the same cap percentage, whereas guys with lower relative percentages (like Tavares, Kane, Toews) got much larger UFA raises.

The only difference is teams like EDM benefits from keeping McDavid at that lower number for a little bit longer, while Toronto has to pay Matthews his cap-increase adjustment earlier. However, that also means that his second deal ends earlier (i.e. 35) rather than later (i.e. 38), so we do not have to pay the prime money as long. So there are benefits either way.

The NHL is probably just heading in the direction of higher RFA deals and lower raises on UFA deals for most high end guys. You are not going to see too many marquee UFA signings for huge dollars anymore, unless they are rare cases like Tavares, but you will see guys (at least the higher end ones) start to really push their cap percentage peak on their first deal, and take term over AAV on their second one when they end in their mid-late 30's. Then the guys who are not core guys are going to have to settle for decent, but not amazing, money on their second deal (i.e. Kapanen making sub-3 mill on his deal for 3 years, when maybe 5-10 years ago he could probably get the cap-equivalency of close to 4) and start reaching their peak dollars on their second or even third deals. There will just be less money for role players who want to win.
I agree. It's a young man's game. More of the money is already being distributed to younger players, and I think this trend will continue.

At the same time we are seeing older players not getting ccontracts as readily as before if at all.

The salary jump between RFA and UFA is melting away before our eyes.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
McDavid's had Draisaitl as his wing for the past couple of seasons. Matthews had Nylander. Tell me how exactly McDavid has a better supporting cast. Why should it affect him if his 3rd line is dog****?

Do oilers have a :

Marner?
Kadri?
Rielly?
Garidner?
Andersen?
Dermott?
(and now Tavares)?

The stupidity of advnaced stat nerds amazes me when they look at one number and blow their load without any f***ing context

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
All these BS terms going around the media..."hedge against inflation"...pfft, what kind of bullcrap is that? I thought the cap going up is supposed to free up resources for the team to add players in the future, not more greed going into the pockets of current players on a projected future cap that hasn't even been attained yet. So, does the team get to clawback money if the cap doesn't reach a projected figure during the term of the contract?

Reactions: AreBe

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do oilers have a :

Marner?
Kadri?
Rielly?
Garidner?
Andersen?
(and now Tavares)?

The stupidity of advnaced stat nerds amazes me when they look at one number and blow their load without any ****ing context

lmao.

says the guy who looks only at Total Points.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
McDavid taking a discount then having his team get WORSE with that discount probably played a role. No way the agents let Matthews do it to that extent.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Look at it this way, maybe paying these guys now might means discount on their 3rd contracts when they know they need to take less and have a super Team with McDavid to win the Cup.
Personally, we have the rights to crap on Dubas and stuff but there is no denying that the team is a great team and is a contender

I wouldn’t say they're a contender. No matter what they pay Matthews , I’m not convinced they’re physical enough.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
there's upside and downside.

they're going to be stuck paying all those guys in their 30s by the time we even have to negotiate with Rielly.
I get what you are saying and it does have merit. It is just I feel like we got ahead of the cap here. We overpayed the growth on our most crucial contract, and I fear the ripple effect in a few years time with Rielly, Kapanen, Muzzin, Dermott, Johnsson, Andersen, etc. This AAV at that term bumps everyone up (but who knows by how much). 3 years is not that far away when we could have some big issues trying to keep a lot of the band together without huge cap growth, and then you have Matthews again 2 years later and likely Marner too.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
**** you Dubas!!!! **** you Auston!!!
I hope you both get boooed out of the building tomorrow

That's right moron with the big brains Dubas and that skater play-maker Matthews! Take your idiot scientific method and wise cup winning ways elsewhere!

And that stupid Nylander! Yellow Nylander as no bloody 5 minute high sticking penalties - none! Trade Matthews and Nylander along with Johnsson and Kappy before any GM wakes up to the horrible lack of 5 minute major penalties in the analytics! Trade them and teach Leafs Nation, again, about sorrow

Oh look Matthews raising the cup over there for one team, oh look, Kappy for another, see if Leafs Nation cares! As proud Canadians we say "Have your damned cup parade in Bel Air! "

Let's trade the farm too- get rid of these kids on the upswing for some aging veterans who won a cup and a Norris trophy 8 years ago before all that knee surgery, and take the salary cap hit for past performance, Hey if you hate skill, why not, get a rental veteran, give a way a future star lose today and lose in the future, for someone you just borrow.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Funny, considering you're using raw point totals to prove whichever dumb*** point you're trying to prove.

This so f***ING STUPID

use any advanced metric: ppg, P/60, SCF/60, CF% etc....

Without any f***ing context these are f***ing meaningless

Matthews' stats benefit because his team is much better in terms of support; opposition doesn't have to plan for just Matthews but also: Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR(past), Tavares(now), Kappy (Now)

Who the f*** does the opposition has to plan when playing against Oilers?
McDavid, Draisaitl and then who? f***ing Lucic?

CONTEXT matters

Matthews' stats heavily benefit because of a higher QoT of his team; McDavid's stats suffer because his team is shit; and he cannot produce to his full potential

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
McDavid taking a discount then having his team get WORSE with that discount probably played a role. No way the agents let Matthews do it to that extent.

Chiarelli offered McDavid $13.25...McDavid was embarrassed and thought it was too much, so told Chiarelli to drop it to $12.5...Matthews contract is a premium...not close to being a discount...I think if it's a 6 year term, it would be fair, but 5 makes it expensive.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
i'm pretty sure other fanbases when they sign overpay for the amount of term. (which - I will point that that's what has people upset. the fact that it's 5 years but that much money) would be equally be upset. but hey. that's just me.

Perhaps, but I can't think of any examples of teams resigning their 1st OA pick and being upset about it. Can you think of any?

Would we be happier not having him signed at all? Having another hold out or worse?

I find it sad that after years of being bottom feeders we finally have some terrific young players, and half the fanbase can't enjoy it because their wringing their hands over a salary cap issue that may or may not happen.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Do oilers have a :

Marner?
Kadri?
Rielly?
Garidner?
Andersen?
Dermott?
(and now Tavares)?

The stupidity of advnaced stat nerds amazes me when they look at one number and blow their load without any ****ing context
How does that affect his production though? If Oilers stack their first line, wouldn't that be beneficial to McDavid? Better support cast has to do winning the actual game, not point production. McDavid is the best player in the world, thus he gets a lot of touches and makes a lot of plays. Because of how stacked the leafs are, Matthews actually gets less touches with the puck. Just look the PP for example, where Marner controls the plays. The only time Matthews has a chance is for those cross-ice pass or shot in the slot. I would actually be interested if having more star players would actually decrease your point production because of how many fewer touches you get per game...

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
it's a absolutely Looney tunes.

I swear there will be boos for Matthews next game.
I doubt it. HF is the only place where there is a full unreasonable outrage. I have not seen any place else (Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc) where people are this upset. Quite strange actually...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Perhaps, but I can't think of any examples of teams resigning their 1st OA pick and being upset about it. Can you think of any?

Would we be happier not having him signed at all? Having another hold out or worse?

I find it sad that after years of being bottom feeders we finally have some terrific young players, and half the fanbase can't enjoy it because their wringing their hands over a salary cap issue that may or may not happen.

I am almost positive that most people here are not actually fans, they just want to rile people up.....

The Term just seems weird. Why would you CHOOSE to have Matthews and Nylander negotiating at the same time. Unless you dont really plan on keeping Nylander. Which is possible.....

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I wish he signed for less at that term but I trust that Dubas and Shanahan have a plan. They’ve earned the benefit of the doubt and I couldn’t be happier with the future of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad