Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Everyone in Tampa can take a little less period because at the end of the day there take home earnings is a lot higher than in a higher tax state/province, ie. Stamko's contract in Toronto would be equivalent to 12.4M (link). It's simple math and logic, no one is leaving money on the table.

Market value is determine by the agent and GM, personally I don't think Eichel is in Matthews league.
I'm pretty sure 30/30 GMs in the league that isn't Buffalo would not trade Matthews for Eichel straight up.

If you think that Matthews is in Eichel's league and should have the same market value than sure, market value for Matthews is skewed.

Overall, my point is i don't expect any of the core guys to take home town discounts to be leafs, i didn't expect it from willy, i don't expect it from Matthews and I dont' expect it from Marner. Just to tether expectations.

League should do something about the tax differences and take that into account. As of right now Tampa has an advantage, and one of main objectives of the cap was leveling the playing field.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Why does everyone assume he is gone after 5 yrs ?
That is not the problem.

The problem is the leafs just paid Matthews as if he was a UFA and only bought 1 UFA year.

He also had a full NMC in his last year and expires as a UFA so if he has indicated he wont resign, we cant even trade him and he could walk for free.

Reactions: Devonator

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Your name is the big three!!!!! Is that kap AJ and gardner? Dont think so
Obviously not but you can't win with elc/vet minimum wingers and defense like polak. Kadri is most likely bailing too as his contract is up soon. Who is the supporting cast when we can't afford anyone. Like the other guy said, I hope matthews is ready to play with some terrible wingers over his 5 years.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dubas seems to be too much of a players GM. Like the guy is bro hugging players, like he's one of the boys. I thought it might be to our advantage, but maybe it makes him less likely to hold a firm line and piss off his buddies.

That's reading pretty deep into a hug.

Reactions: AreBe

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
It would be nice if our players realize how lucky they are to get all these signing bonuses up front, plus a good salary at the same time, and maybe give us a god damn break on the next contract.
MLSE will just jack up ticket prices accordingly. Businesses will still buy them. You and I will be paying $400 a seat to sit in the very last row.

Reactions: AreBe and DanM

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Not a big fan of the term at all. It's a great contract for Matthews, but it'll be interesting to see how this works out for the Leafs in five years time.

AAV is fine, but the term makes me pretty nervous.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
There's no "out negotiating" involved. McDavid was willing to take less, Matthews wasn't. They were both in a "name your price" scenario.

Based on the Crosby comparable McDavid would have been justified at 13+x5 on a smaller cap.

Thank you sir. Way too many people spouting nonsense in here. It's really this simple folks.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind the shorter contract.

Longer contracts are better for players because it gives more guaranteed money and mitigates the risk of injury or poor performance.

If the player just doesn't perform as expected, which is always a risk, then the team is better off with a short contract.

There will rarely, if ever, be any team-friendly friendly discounts. You pay as you go. I like this term. It will keep Matthews on his toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad