Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Did I hear on TSN that no team with a $10.0M player has ever won the Cup?

If true, our Leafs may already be ****ed this season. And, our Leafs will surely be ****ed next season with 3 players making north of $10.0M!

Not sure if they said post-cap, but Forsbery was making 10mill in 2000-01 season. Even if they did say post-cap, its such a stupid comment. 10 mill against the cap for your number 1 centre eating about 15% of your cap is no difference than Crosby eating about 15% of the cap at 8.7 mill when they won in 2008-09. Its all relative to the cap at that time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Look at it this way, maybe paying these guys now might means discount on their 3rd contracts when they know they need to take less and have a super Team with McDavid to win the Cup.
Personally, we have the rights to crap on Dubas and stuff but there is no denying that the team is a great team and is a contender

Reactions: Confucius

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did I hear on TSN that no team with a $10.0M player has ever won the Cup?

If true, our Leafs may already be ****ed this season. And, our Leafs will surely be ****ed next season with 3 players making north of $10.0M!
10+ is a pretty new phenomenon

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just make sure that the core you are throwing big dollars into has the “it” factor come post season.
The rest of the team might be fully recycled a few times and letting own rentals walk become the norm. Do that too much and you weaken what you have to go around. Which puts even more pressure squarely on the big money guys. Don’t be blaming Hyman and Brown for any lack of playoff success.

I think the illusions are dying now, but they were always unreal expectations. Its not easy to keep very talented players on low cost salaries for very long. Cap problems were always part of the cycle and inevitable. Its not going to be easy either to constantly renew the middle of our roster with equal or better talent as players depart because of the cap crunch. That theory will die eventually for us also as it has for every other comparable team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Look at their sign date, not the start of the contract.

Scoring was sky high out of the "great lockout" thanks to huge PP time and obstruction being a big issue. Haven't looked it up, but I bet those first 2-3 years after that lockout had higher scoring than Matthews past 2 seasons.

I haven't and won't. There's just good information and bad information to use.

Crosby signed in 2007
Penguins sign Crosby to 5-year extension | CBC Sports

When crosby signed he had already had a hart and art ross; and had two 100 pts seasons

Malkin signed July 2008
Malkin, Orpik sign contract extensions with Pens

Malkin already had 2 100 pts season; and one SCF appearance;

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This has to be the only fanbase in all of sports that whines and complains when their team signs its marquee young star player to a contract extension.

Greatest fans in the world. :biglaugh:

i'm pretty sure other fanbases when they sign overpay for the amount of term. (which - I will point that that's what has people upset. the fact that it's 5 years but that much money) would be equally be upset. but hey. that's just me.

i truly don't understand why it's whinging and complaining if you don't like it (especially because it's a star).
I'm consistent. I think Dubas blinked and overpaid Nylander. and I think that Dubas should have gotten either more years or less money on this. why it has to be black and white like "yay they sign but ew I hate it" has to equal being whiny

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If point production is what constitutes a top player for a forward then Matthews has a lot of catching up to do to be called a top 2 or top 3 player in the world

Matthews rate production is right there with McDavid.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm not upset by this contract. I would have preferred either a longer term or less money... but I can live with this.

I want to keep Matthews happy. I think he's the best player in the league when he's at 100%. He's worth every penny.

Ya, Nylander, Matthews, and Tavares cost a lot... but they're all really good. I don't mind paying for quality players.

I'm really happy that we've got this contract out of the way. If we had another Nylander situation with Mattthews, that would be horrible. We want to keep him happy and keep him as a Leaf for 20 years.

I don't blame Matthews for signing this contract. A lot of things can change in 5 years and I don't blame him for wanting to keep his options open. As long as things go well here in Leaf land over the next 5 years, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to sign an extension.

It could be the case in 5 years where the Leafs win the cup, Matthews becomes the biggest star in hockey and starts raking in the endorsement money big time, and he might give us a discount next time... who knows.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Crosby signed in 2007
Penguins sign Crosby to 5-year extension | CBC Sports

When crosby signed he had already had a hart and art ross; and had two 100 pts seasons

Malkin signed July 2008
Malkin, Orpik sign contract extensions with Pens

Malkin already had 2 100 pts season; and one SCF appearance;
...now go back to my post and read what I said when quoting you.

Hell, read back even further and you'll see I already made the comments about Crosby's Art Ross and Malkin's SCF appearance as well.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
skewing the data?

those are the years left on their deals.
You were using age left on current deals to compare salary allocation. Making the point you are getting Matthews, etc. for their salaries at their age as opposed to the Tampa salaries at their ages. My point was look at what Kucherov's salary was at through those ages, Stamkos' and Hedman's. It wasn't 11.634. What do you think the salary on Matthews and Marner (if we can keep them) will look like on their 3rd contracts?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Matthews is looking out for marner now? Also Johnny bower
I was joking, or did you miss the just kidding part? It was in jest about them wanting to bleed us dry, and acting like they are helping us by leaving money on the table to ice a team around them.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Teenage phenom wonder boy John Tavares, with all the hype in the world, took $5.5 million coming out of his ELC to help his team.

Wish our young stars felt the same way.
Imagine what he's thinking sitting in the locker room with a couple guys who went out their way to take their team to the cleaners.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of those 5 names you listed, exactly who is over paid?

You realize that:

1) JT Miller has fewer goals than Hyman and is paid more than twice as much at $5.2 million, right? Also signed until 2023.

2) Palat is injury prone and has 2 more goals scored on the year than Connor Brown and makes $5.3 million. Signed until 2022, which is beyond when that money needs to go to Vasi and Point.

3) Yanni Gourde produces at a Kadri level but makes half a million more. So if you pair Matthews and Kadri at $11.6 and $4.5 million, you're paying out $16.1 million. Compare that to the incredible steal Kucherov is at $9.5 million + Gourde's $5.16 million, you're at $14.7 million and in similar territory.

4) Killorn makes $4.45 million and is locked in for the next few years producing at a rate Andreas Johnsson is giving us at less than ELC max.

5) Tyler Johnson is similar to Gourde, makes $5 million, but produces at Kadri levels at $500,000 more.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
i'm pretty sure other fanbases when they sign overpay for the amount of term. (which - I will point that that's what has people upset. the fact that it's 5 years but that much money) would be equally be upset. but hey. that's just me.

i truly don't understand why it's whinging and complaining if you don't like it (especially because it's a star).
I'm consistent. I think Dubas blinked and overpaid Nylander. and I think that Dubas should have gotten either more years or less money on this. why it has to be black and white like "yay they sign but ew I hate it" has to equal being whiny

The most recent example of a contract for a superstar that looked like an overpayment at the time was Kuznetsov, who signed for $8 million after a 59 point season. Didn't see many Caps fans freak out about that.

They knew the player, they knew what to expect. They trusted their superstar. I'm not sure if our fanbase trusts our superstar, who's way better than Kuznetsov, to give the team value. In which case, we don't deserve him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad