Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension Pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Too much money.

I've lost some respect for Matthews today.

His priority is money over success.
Agree. Too much money. Having said that, in 3 years, the Cap will have risen to the point where no one cares.

Not sure I understand the "respect" comment.

Would you work for less than you are worth on the open market?

Reactions: Walshy7

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
i would have liked, our general manager to sign a deal that benefits the team. i don't see how cutting 3 years off a deal benefits us, and I don't see how matthews making that much money for less years benefits us. I don't understand why everything has to be black and white. there is a whole sea of gray to muddle through.

I am happy we have terrific players.
i'm not happy that Dubas seems to do whatever he is doing cap wise with them.

i don't understand why a lot of people always feel that we should just ignore there could be a potential salary cap situation that can prevent us from winning. long term as if you can't think about that - while being happy that we have a good team.
from now on I shall refer to him as Dumbas, and he shall have earned it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Agree. Too much money. Having said that, in 3 years, the Cap will have risen to the point where no one cares.

I keep reading this, but it doesn't make sense. He didn't sign for 8 years, so you don't get the backend benefit of him outliving his high cap. Look at when guys like Eichel and McDavid end their contracts and compare it to Matthews vs. their cap hits.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Thank you for your service.

But to lose respect over a guy making money on his God given talent seems a bit harsh.

I don't think it's harsh at all.

This guy is a freaking multi millionaire. Man, a very average NHL player becomes a millionaire and lives an amazing life out of hockey.

He's entitled to go for however much he wants. But I can't then be fed the bull about wanting to win so much. Cos if you value winning that much, you'll realise 10m a year over 5yrs for example is still an insane amount of money. $50m dollars, on one contract, with 2 more likely to come. Sacrificing some money, to highly increase your chance of creating a real legacy for yourself.

It's not just himself here, it's setting the ball park for Marner and others. Same as Nylander did. Chose personal finances over success.

Make no bones, Nylander on 6, Matthews on 10 and Marner on 9 gives this team space to add something of real quality with those savings, and really increase the chance of their success and legacies.

6.96, 11.64 & someone who wants 11.64 themselves takes that away.

I lose respect for people who choose themselves over their team and the possibility for success. That's what has happened here.

No-one has to agree, we all have variable values. They're mine. I truly will never enjoy Nylander's and Matthews' success as much due to this. It will always have a little asterisk next to it for me now.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Very mildly annoyed at the whole situation. Young guys saying how much they like it in TO, how good the team is, that they want to keep the core together and bringing a Cup here is their dream. Management facilitates that with a $77M contract for John Tavares. Nylander squeezes them literally as hard as possible. Matthews pushes for UFA value on an RFA contract, makes zero concessions to the team. Now Marner and his family say he's worth every cent Matthews got. Christ.

I don't even really blame the players though. If I was in their shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. It's a real greasy world, not some idealistic fantasy land. As a fan I don't like it, but I see where it comes from.

Reactions: 7even

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bad deal. Not horrible, but looking at comparables in Eichel and McDavid this is bad.

Pay insane AAV AND get only 5 years AND 93% of the $$ is bonus.

As someone else has said what exactly did Dubas negotiate?

At that AAV it should have been 7 at least.

He is not better than/equal to McDavid when you compare the accolades.

At what point can a player ask for more than McDavid makes?
How long should his contract hold everyone down?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just want to add. I am in no way upset at Matthews for signing a 5 year deal here, I am Happy to have Matthews, very. I am pretty let down by Dubas and it all stems from the Nylander negotiations.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
This is a great deal now that I’ve thought about it more, people are going to start noticing that 8 year contracts will become less common in favour for 5-6 year terms, teams are getting smarter with locking things in for too long.

Leafs will be remembered as the first team to start this trend of responsibility and smarts.

Marner will get 5-6 years too and it will be OKAY, let’s not stress and enjoy this group for the next 5-6 years because special things could happen.
Don’t hold your breath. We signed Willi to above Pasta money, but he is no pasta. We signed Matthews to above McDavid money if you consider term and Ufa/rfa years. We will sign Marner to above Kucherov money too, I’m sure now. And he is not Kucherov either. Get this one fact, you cannot pay lesser players higher cap dollars and expect to beat those teams in competition. You just cannot. They would have better players AND more resources to sign support players / td help. And they will beat you every single time. Got it?

Reactions: dsred

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yea your cap% math and CF% hard ons are world renouned that have ZERO context

Last I saw "point totals" means your team scored; and that in my book is always a good thing

total points are the definition of NO CONTEXT.

adjusting for game situation, ice time, competition, point type, etc is the definition of CONTEXT.

luckily, this is something our GM understands.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Don’t hold your breath. We signed Willi to above Pasta money, but he is no pasta. We signed Matthews to above McDavid money if you consider term and Ufa/rfa years. We will sign Marner to above Kucherov money too, I’m sure now. And he is not Kucherov either. Get this one fact, you cannot pay lesser players higher cap dollars and expect to beat those teams in competition. You just cannot. They would have better players AND more resources to sign support players / td help. And they will beat you every single time. Got it?

You’re right our players aren’t other players, they’re themselves.

Matthews is Matthews
Marner is Marner
Nylander is Nylander
Tavares is Tavares

Reactions: Walshy7

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe not shameful but not good for the city and the fans. Dubas just couldn't keep order in the cap structure, he didn't have the ability to fight the league changes etc. He just bent over the barrel and that was it.

The team won’t fold, they’ll still around the fans will still get to watch games.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Only reason i see Dubas agreeing this early to such a small term contract is that Matthews group was very clearly not looking for long term contract.
I'm just sad that he crumbled so quickly to his demands after going the distance with Nylander.
Just hope Matthews can repay this trust by winning us some cups now!

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

Yes, I already do.

I work over my prescribed hours and i'm entitled to claim overtime. But I only do claim it if I have had a good result. If I don't, I don't claim, because I work for an organisation that is already hampered by government and the politics that go with it.

Tax payers pay my wage, and I believe what I earn should be justified.

Call me old school or even naïve, i'd give up money every single day of the week for he greater good. No doubt about it.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
At what point can a player ask for more than McDavid makes?
How long should his contract hold everyone down?

If Matthews took the Leafs to a conference final, receive the Hart or win the scoring race. But he has injury concerns and the Leafs haven't made it out of the first round in years. When Tampa is signing players to cheap deals and we'll likely need to beat them in the playoffs, this is a concern.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
total points are the definition of NO CONTEXT.

adjusting for game situation, ice time, competition, point type, etc is the definition of CONTEXT.

luckily, this is something our GM understands.

great! would you please draft a letter and email it to NHL to decomission art-ross and rocket trophies because "total points" are NO CONTEXT; next time they should "adjust" for game situation and the other BS you have there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->