Confirmed with Link: TOR sign RD Zach Bogosian [1 year, 1M]

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
One thing to take note of, Bogosian is averaging the lowest minutes per game in his career this year. He’s currently averaging 14:39 minutes per game, his second lowest total is 16:38 minutes.

He’s clearly being put in a position to actually succeed and contribute while minimizing a potential injury (knock on f***ing wood if you’re reading this) unlike his previous injury riddled years.

He’s been fantastic as a third pairing dman, someone I’d love to re-sign and have stick around this team while he can contribute.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Between Bogo, Muzzy and Brodie we have stabilized our defense with VETS on each pairing ... so d*mn smart ... now we can properly develop guys like Holl and Dermy and Rielly has no pressure to run around anymore

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I feel like it would be a dumb move not signing Bogosian for next year. He provides what we've wanted for many years on the 3rd pair: toughness, steadiness, crease-clearing, mobility and maturity. He's not as old as people think too (30). The only issue, for me, is Liljegren. I love Lily and want him on the team next year. Of course, there are always injuries. Lily could end playing a lot even with Bogosian signed. Thoughts?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I feel like it would be a dumb move not signing Bogosian for next year. He provides what we've wanted for many years on the 3rd pair: toughness, steadiness, crease-clearing, mobility and maturity. He's not as old as people think too (30). The only issue, for me, is Liljegren. I love Lily and want him on the team next year. Of course, there are always injuries. Lily could end playing a lot even with Bogosian signed. Thoughts?

I don't think contract value would be much of a stumbling block. Playing time might be one though. Lehtonen wasn't a prospect like Sandin and/or Liljegren would be. Wouldn't want either of them sitting too much if they're on next season's team. Whether or not Seattle makes their selection from our blueline will be a factor. We'll have to see if the rosters will continue to be expanded for next season as well.

Reactions: Stigma

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We will lose either Dermy/Holl to Seattle so next year there will be a spot which opens up for Sandin/Lily ... unless of course there is a trade

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

I think past next season, Lilly will probably slot into that 2nd pairing RHD role where Justin Holl currently is. I think Dermott is probably gone due to expansion or because of $$ demands. Sandin is probably in the top 4 as well and Mo could potentially be a cap sacrifice by the end of next season. We could have something like the following;

Sandin - Brodie --> very smart pairing with 2 very cerebral defenders. Unlike Mo who constantly puts Brodie in shit positions defensively, Sandin is very much a responsible d-man. He certainly has the offensive instincts and abilities to produce on that top pair. Maybe not as well as Rielly but I think his overall impact might be better than Mo.

Muzzin - Liljegren --> Muzz is the big guy there who can anchor that pairing and protect Lilly. Lilly plays a high-quality 2-way game and isn't prone to running around a ton. It might take some time for them to mesh but if there's any player that can allow Lilly to thrive and grow into a potential top-pairing or very good 2nd pairing D-man, it's probably Muzz.

Bogo - Holl --> I would prefer to have a good stable 2 way guy on that LHD slot but could just as easily see a pair of Bogo and Lilly there or Bogo and Sandin for this next season and then Holl - Bogo or Lilly - Bogo in 2 years time once Mo leaves.

Prospects that have legitimate shots at making the big club:

Kral - Big body, good skater, good offensive instincts, can probably carve out a career as a 3rd pairing guy.
Hollowell - The team seems pretty high on this kid. Smart player, undersized but can survive if sheltered.
Niemela - I think long-term project but if he does pan out for us, we're looking at potentially a guy that can play anywhere in the 2nd or 3rd pairing. Won't be up for another 2-3 years at least though. Might be the eventual replacement for Bogo on that 3rd pair in a few seasons' time.

Overall, I love the fact that we've trended towards getting guys who are more defensively responsible and capable. A guy like Bogo provides us with jam that no one else other than Muzz provides. I love the fact that Brodie, Lilly, Sandin, Niemela are all very high hockey IQ guys who should make up our backend for the next 4-6 years atleast. But we definitely some ruggedness to surround them with. We definitely don't have any big bruising forwards coming through the system so, having a Bogo and his subsequent replacement is huge to the toughness department.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think past next season, Lilly will probably slot into that 2nd pairing RHD role where Justin Holl currently is. I think Dermott is probably gone due to expansion or because of $$ demands. Sandin is probably in the top 4 as well and Mo could potentially be a cap sacrifice by the end of next season. We could have something like the following;

Sandin - Brodie --> very smart pairing with 2 very cerebral defenders. Unlike Mo who constantly puts Brodie in shit positions defensively, Sandin is very much a responsible d-man. He certainly has the offensive instincts and abilities to produce on that top pair. Maybe not as well as Rielly but I think his overall impact might be better than Mo.

Muzzin - Liljegren --> Muzz is the big guy there who can anchor that pairing and protect Lilly. Lilly plays a high-quality 2-way game and isn't prone to running around a ton. It might take some time for them to mesh but if there's any player that can allow Lilly to thrive and grow into a potential top-pairing or very good 2nd pairing D-man, it's probably Muzz.

Bogo - Holl --> I would prefer to have a good stable 2 way guy on that LHD slot but could just as easily see a pair of Bogo and Lilly there or Bogo and Sandin for this next season and then Holl - Bogo or Lilly - Bogo in 2 years time once Mo leaves.

Prospects that have legitimate shots at making the big club:

Kral - Big body, good skater, good offensive instincts, can probably carve out a career as a 3rd pairing guy.
Hollowell - The team seems pretty high on this kid. Smart player, undersized but can survive if sheltered.
Niemela - I think long-term project but if he does pan out for us, we're looking at potentially a guy that can play anywhere in the 2nd or 3rd pairing. Won't be up for another 2-3 years at least though. Might be the eventual replacement for Bogo on that 3rd pair in a few seasons' time.

Overall, I love the fact that we've trended towards getting guys who are more defensively responsible and capable. A guy like Bogo provides us with jam that no one else other than Muzz provides. I love the fact that Brodie, Lilly, Sandin, Niemela are all very high hockey IQ guys who should make up our backend for the next 4-6 years atleast. But we definitely some ruggedness to surround them with. We definitely don't have any big bruising forwards coming through the system so, having a Bogo and his subsequent replacement is huge to the toughness department.

Sandin is closer to a top pairing AHL defenseman than a top pairing NHL defenseman. Nobody in our organization is replacing Rielly right now, in the near future, and possibly even in the distant future. Sandin is more likely a Muzzin replacement, just like Liljegren is more likely a Brodie or Holl replacement.

Reactions: nuck

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sandin is closer to a top pairing AHL defenseman than a top pairing NHL defenseman. Nobody in our organization is replacing Rielly right now, in the near future, and possibly even in the distant future. Sandin is more likely a Muzzin replacement, just like Liljegren is more likely a Brodie or Holl replacement.
Muzzin is our top shutdown defensemen and probably our most valuable defensemen on the team right now. In no way, shape or form is Sandin even remotely close to being a replacement for him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Muzzin is our top shutdown defensemen and probably our most valuable defensemen on the team right now. In no way, shape or form is Sandin even remotely close to being a replacement for him.

Not saying right now. I am talking about in the future. He's more likely going to be a really good #2/3 similar to Brodie and Muzzin (likely closer to the former with more offense to his game but will be a LD like Muzzin) than a #1 like Rielly.

Right now Sandin should probably not even be in the NHL. We will see if that remains the same next year. I am definitely not actively trying to make room for him as I would a guy like Liljegren, who is simply dominating the AHL right now. If he had any kind of consistent PP minutes and a team with more than a couple of quality players on it, he'd easily be over a PPG and he has already been a #1D in the AHL defensively since last year.

Reactions: nuck

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
agree ...Sandin is the Dermott replacement and may take over #1 PP duties Lili depends on Bogo/Holl and/or who gets claimed (Dermott/Holl or other)

I wouldnt be against trading Reilly while at a high value depending on getting a younger/cheaper with similar upside dman

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Bogo has been phenomenal. He's like Mark Fraser during his best year when he played with Cody Franson. And then times that by 10.

He has a ton of patience in his own end, hardly ever looks frantic. Makes a very strong outlet pass. I really hope he is back next year. But I will say, I don't know how effective he would be playing as a 7D. His worst skill is his stone hands. And if he is not getting regular game action, he will become Luke Schenn before you know it. Lilly has to play next year. So something will have to give. A log jam at RD???? what the f***... I was not prepared for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad