Confirmed with Link: TOR sign RD Zach Bogosian [1 year, 1M]

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Tampa fan here. Congrats on the Bogo signing and dividends it is paying right now. I was distraught when Tampa did not resign him. He was incredible in our Stanley Cup run. He certainly was not getting enough praise. He simplified his game. Very decisive, accurate first passes out of the defensive zone. A better skater than he gets credit for. He gets pucks to the net. Plays a north to south game. Reliable in the defensive zone. A big body who can punish the other side but does not do so to the detriment of positioning. He probably is the best 5/6 defenseman in the league. At 1M, he is a steal.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Last night the commentators were gushing about McDavids skating and I couldn’t help but notice Bogo was right there on half the highlight packages shutting him down.

Still has some of those elite tools.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Really shouldn't have been a surprise that a guy who looked good as a #6 for the cup winners would look good in the same role for us.

Still lolling that the Habs signed Edmundson for all that money and then dubas pickEd up the better dman for peanuts.

Even funnier that the media praised bergevin for his signing and not dubas.

Bergevin and bad contracts. There is no better duo on the Habs.

Bogosian is still just 30 even though it feels like he's been in the league a while...he could be the perfect #6 for the Leafs for a long time.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I have warmed up to Bogosian. Initially I thought he might be prone to taking frequent penalties and D zone lapses but he has been quite steady.

I think most importantly he brings a physical edge that we don’t really have outside of Muzzin on the back end. That kind of thing is immensely valuable come playoff time.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Bogosian has been great. First couple of games he took a couple of penalties and I thought maybe it was a mistake but he's turned it around big time. Suprisingly good skater, passer and his shot gets through. Hopefully we look to resign him again on another bargain deal.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Bogo still has a ton of game. Been a huge part of our team this year. I was fearing another slow, unskilled big defenseman. But he has a very calming presence to his game. Very tidy in his own end, and surprisingly has a great first touch/pass of the puck in his own end. Offence is a bit of an adventure, but I was never expecting anything from that side of his game. Been very happy with bogo

Reactions: smitty10

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I found it strange that Bogo was benched for 2 games so that Lehtonen could play, Bogo is 30 so I don't think he needs to be platooned unless his play seriously declines.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I found it strange that Bogo was benched for 2 games so that Lehtonen could play, Bogo is 30 so I don't think he needs to be platooned unless his play seriously declines.
He hasn't played a ton over the past few years. He was given rest. In a short, condensed season it's better to use our depth and keep guys fresh than it is to run them into the ground.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Need a good mix of players: Bogo gives us a tough, intimidating, rh defender who blocks shots, clears the crease, with good enough skills to move the puck effectively. Hes also got that old school hockey passion.... he's messing with Tkatchuk, he's pulling Chiassons stick out of his hands, after Simmonds pummeled Chiarot he was screaming atta boys at him while he walked past him towards the dressing room. We were desperately missing this take no prisoners personality in the past. Hes a good cheerleader for the team.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
I must confess that I was totally wrong about this signing, he has been tremendous for his cap hit. Sabres fans tore him to pieces after his stint there, but I know Lightning fans liked him. Never thought he’d have this kind of impact with us, excellent add!

Reactions: RedRaider

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I believe he's only been rested for one of the B2B games against the Sens.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

He's missed a lot of games to injury in his career. Some off days might be necessary at this point.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
He is really good positionally and makes simple, smart defensive plays rarely making a mistake. He's also pretty scary for modern day forwards to come in on. This was a great signing.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
He has been pretty solid. I'm also happy with Brodie and the growth we have seen with Holl. The only weak spot is now Dermott and Morgan when he plays at half attention.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I must confess that I was totally wrong about this signing, he has been tremendous for his cap hit. Sabres fans tore him to pieces after his stint there, but I know Lightning fans liked him. Never thought he’d have this kind of impact with us, excellent add!

To be fair, at the time he was a Sabre, he was making 5.2 million/year. I'd be pissed too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
To be fair, at the time he was a Sabre, he was making 5.2 million/year. I'd be pissed too.

Yeah if he was getting paid to be a big minute #2/3 dman here like he has his whole career before now, we'd hate him just as much as Jets and Sabres fans did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad